It's not centered! ( 24mm muzzle brake bore)

My surplus brake appears to be drilled off center!

Is it just my eyes?

I was planning to do a home chop job, and drill it out so its safe(er) to use on my 7.62x39 saiga.

I'm thinking starting off center and then widening it might cause accuracy issues..

What do you fellas think?

Maybe its worth tracking down a local machine whop who can do this on a lathe?

I've really maxed out my budget and was hoping i wouldn't have to put anymore money into this gun to get it up and running.

notcentered.jpg

The striations look a little off center in the foto, do you have a micrometer to check yourself? If not then there are other ways to check center, measure from the hole to the edge on one side then the other. It may be designed that way for enough material where the slot is.

I have to agree, it is off center.

A lathe is about the only way to make it right.

edit for wrong format pic

That comparison makes it look like the bore is not concentric within the barrel.

Either way, I don't know if it's out of center enough to worry about. Brakes and comps' exit apertures are usually built with some clearance in mind, and I imagine Soviet-style brakes would be built around Soviet manufacturing tolerances. It would be easier and cheaper in the long run to drill out the exit aperture of the brake if you determine that you do need to compensate for any off-centeredness.

That said: measure first.

Edited by DrThunder88

The bore looks concentric with the threads. Whether it is centered is meaningless. When it is screwed on it must have it's bore align perfectly with the bore of the barrel. The outside does not matter.

• Like 2

Alright, Maybe some of you can figure out this chicken scratch.

After seeing Red's editing, I notice that its not just the inner "baffle"(not sure what its called) that is off center. but also the walls of the "protruding tip" of the brake.

Did some measuring with calipers. (all I've got) and here is what I came up with. (hopefully its follow-able, didn't think i could explain clearly in words.)

If I made any errors maybe you all can point them out.

Left side I measured the I.D. of bore, zeroed calipers and measured from ID on one side, to "outside" diameter on the other.(still inside the dark ring, or last "stage" of the brake.)

Right side I measured from Inside bore on one side, to outside(guess you could say base of baffle), then subtracted the I.D.

(dark ring is highest point on brake)

IMG_1615.jpg

Whats got me wondering now is that maybe it's possible that the bore is lined up correctly with the rifle barrel, and that its just the outside of the brake that is off center.

The bore looks concentric with the threads. Whether it is centered is meaningless. When it is screwed on it must have it's bore align perfectly with the bore of the barrel. The outside does not matter.

Ahh, missed your post. That's what I'm wondering now, though I'm not sure how can you can tell if it looks concentric with the threading.. i can't see threads in my photo.

You should measure from the exit hole's edges to the complete outside of the brake. not just the "baffle". Maybe the baffle isn't centered but the exit hole actually is? I'm not saying thats the case, just something to consider.

Also, measure the treaded end and see if is off center too.

As stated above - all that matters is if that exit hole matches your rifle barrels bore. But that's going to be really tough to see since they are different size bores.

well... Kinda got fed up and just decided to get an answer the quick way.

Doubled up on ears, glasses, and positioned myself so i could shoot with some wood between me and brake should I get some splatter in the event of a strike.

Not a problem.

So, one more post claiming a '74 brake is OK with a 30 cal rifle. Guess my FSB/threading is concentric with barrel.

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys!

Cool that it all worked well.

First time I fired my old muzzle loader I was shaking a bit from beside a tree, the rifle was on the other side.

Had my arms wrapped around the tree, all went well, it shoots straight and not much drop out to 75 yards.