What could/should I do with a new 16" saiga 223?

Every once in a while I see the saiga 223's for sale in the $350 range I think to myself that I really need to buy one of these rifles while I can at that price. For my normal trip to the range I either use bolt actions for long range 700 to 1000 yards or AR's out to 300 or 500 yards max. The first thing I'd do is leave it bone stock and see what kind of group I could get at 100 yards with it using some 69gr matchking ammo. Then I'd see how far out I could take it. I think I could live with only making hits out to 300 yards, but the 10rd mags are going to drive me nutts. I like the idea of the saiga as a cheap and durable gun, but would a guy like me be happy with one?

I'm not opposed to doing some mods on the gun and anymore I half expect it when buying a new rifle, but here's the catch.... As soon as a saiga stops being a cheap rifle to own then I loose interest. As soon as I hear about a bunch of governmental BS I have to go through to use a 30rd mag then get a little turned off as well.

So, for arguements sake lets say I bought the gun for $350 and had another $150 to put into the gun. What would all you saiga 223 guys recommend that I do to make it something I'll be very happy with?

If you've got $150 you can do a basic conversion if you've got some DIY skills. That is going to be the biggest improvement that you can make to this rifle, the factory trigger is awful and the hunting stock that it comes with feels goofy imo.

Hit up Carolina Shooter Supply, you can get a basic conversion kit in your price range. They also have videos posted on how to do the conversion, watch those a few times and get an idea on whether you're comfortable doing it or not. If you've got a dremel and a drill and know how to use them you can probably handle the conversion.

As a side bonus, one of those conversion kits should get you 922r compliant so you can use hi capacity magazines legally. You will need to install a bullet guide if you want to use most surplus mags, CSS also sells these and has a video on how to install one. If you'd rather not have a bullet guide, Surefire makes magazines that can be used without the bullet guide.

The Saigas are very very accurate especially with good optics and the K-Var side mount. If you find the ammo it likes you will out shoot some AR type rifles. A SAIGA is the cream of the crop in the AK world and a thousand times better than a VEPER in my book. Mine stays magazine loaded in my house and will remain my go to rifle from home defense and hunting, to pissing the AR guys off at the range.

What are your opinions on the msa conversion pieces that allow the use of ar mags and when taken out, the saiga mags? That seemed like a pretty nice option to me.

You can buy more then a few 223 saiga mags for the price of the adapter.

i have 8 surefire mags and no bullet guides for both of my 223's.

My advice is to purchase one of the Texas Gun Works railed dust covers with the peep sight for about the $150, I have a 20" model with it, and it makes a world of difference in sighting, either with optics or the peep sight.

I know many will flog me for this, but I don't have a problem with either the stock configuration or the stock trigger, I have done 2 conversions , and just like the stock rifle setup better for the use I give the rifle. Flog away.

My advice is to purchase one of the Texas Gun Works railed dust covers with the peep sight for about the $150, I have a 20" model with it, and it makes a world of difference in sighting, either with optics or the peep sight.

I know many will flog me for this, but I don't have a problem with either the stock configuration or the stock trigger, I have done 2 conversions , and just like the stock rifle setup better for the use I give the rifle. Flog away.

Your not the only one that likes the factory configuration. The only thing was the length of pull was too short for me. If it was 3/4" longer the factory setup would be nice. Even better now that I know that an aftermarket FCG could be modified to work in a factory rifle. I think I may buy a second .223 Saiga and leave it with the factory setup and alter an aftermarket FCG. Then make my own bullet guide and use Bulgarian mags.

Does anyone reload .223 and if so, what are you using with what sort of accuracy at 100yds?

Yes I do but I load for velocity when I do that accuracy at 50yds is 3" at best. My loads average over 2900fps and the hottest load I have is over 3000fps with a 55gr bullet and that is out of a 16" barrel. Load data varies with each gun so I won't post any data. I will be trying to find some accurate loads within the next few months.