Heavy bullets

What the heaviest bullet that can be routinely shot out of the S308 without risking damage. I know that with the M1A, 175-180 is the max usually mentioned. I ask as I have come into quite a few 180 and 200gr factory rounds. I do have several 308 bolt rifles so it would not be a big deal either way. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I use 180 grain bullets routinely in my Saiga 308. I reload Nosler ballistic tip and they shoot reliably with good grouping. I also have used Barnes TSX with similar results. You have to be aware that the Saiga's rifle twist rate is 1 revolution every 12 inches. This is an inadequate twist rate to stabilize 200 grain bullets and some 180's. Some of the Barnes tipped bullets recommend a faster barrel twist than 1:12. Trial and error is OK in this case. If your bullets tumble from inadequate twist and unstable flight, you'll know by bad grouping and "fliers." I have been partial to heavier bullets since, from a ballistic standpoint, they maintain downrange energy impact better than lighter bullets. I don't shoot with a brake or suppressor but my experience with other guns is that bullet weight has little effect on these devices. Happy shooting!