gauging interest in stamped steel floorplate.

I had thought of making floor plates and then decided against it.. Then just today I set one out prototype Saiga .308 mags on my desk next to a MKA mag. They seemed similar so I checked fit. Turns out our new floorplate gear will make a floorplate that fits the MKA nice and snug. They will not be as smooth as the tromix aluminum unit just due to the nature of sheet metal.

This is the prototype.

post-2952-0-89854800-1323724077_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

wondering what the point would be with these? Seems like 922r compliance will only be required to high capacity mags, but they will each replace/remove 3 foreign parts (including the floor plate) so I'm not sure of the point.

Unless the high cap mags are being made by joining foreign mag bodies?

I was hoping someone was working up US made hi caps?

wondering what the point would be with these? Seems like 922r compliance will only be required to high capacity mags, but they will each replace/remove 3 foreign parts (including the floor plate) so I'm not sure of the point.

Unless the high cap mags are being made by joining foreign mag bodies?

I was hoping someone was working up US made hi caps?

They would be needed for using a folding or collapsing stock..

I don't plan on making the mags, simply because I think someone else is developing one, and odds are they can make it cheaper.

But time will tell.

sign me up... i'm thinking someone will make an extention rather than a whole new mag...sure seems like it would be less work/engineering.... something along the lines of a slotted, flat clamp to grasp both parts in the middle & lock squarely... then your 922 mag plates would have a greater appeal. 922 will be on us soon for the Akdal. i'd shoot for 10 rounds minimum

I bought one of your saiga 20 guage mags.. tweeked the mag a bit and it was a 100% runner...sold gun, 8 rounds just not enough for competition

Edited by mikeAZ

Interesting.... wished you would have chosen to make a mag extention... Recent videios show the Firebird mag coupler and extention... I'm not a mind reader but this seems to be what others have thought? I'm pretty sure it would have been worth your time to figure something out along the same lines.. The sales predictions for the Akdal are good, mine should be here very soon. I'm waiting for a reply from Firebird about the mag extentions.. (See the PE Kelly entry this forum)

Edited by mikeAZ

Extensions tend to be glitchy. I'd rather make stuff I feel confident about. If firebird can make something that works and is affordable, then good.

I did draw up a build concept that converts the existing mag design to something our mill and press can handle. But I can't say it will happen this year.

I gotta keep focus on our core projects, and making enough money to upgrade to take on more challenging projects.

• Like 1