Saiga 7.62 Rails With or Without HG retainer

I am interested in your rail/handguard system. The one piece I am not too sure about is how does the HG secure to the forward part of the barrel. I can see your answer to the AK handguard retainer, but I cannot tell how it is tightened agains the barrel. Is it just a tension thing of pushing the 2 halves together against the barrel?

Does it fit tight?

Also, I installed a DIY modded HG retainer on my rifle. Will the notch I cut in the barrel have fit issues with the Chaos HG retainer?

Can I use that instead of the Chaos version?

It looks like the Chaos HG retainer has a screw where the cleaning rod is. Is that right?

Thanks!

Yes the bottom mount screw goes through where your cleaning rod would go. Our front mount hardware is design to be easily fitted with or without slots in your barrel, if you don't have slots just simply file off the locator tabs and you're good to go. There are jack screws on the bottom of the rail that tighten against the bottom of the barrel, drawing the mounting hardware tight, these rails are rock solid tight after install.

post-11513-0-06097400-1323893466_thumb.jpg

Yes the bottom mount screw goes through where your cleaning rod would go. Our front mount hardware is design to be easily fitted with or without slots in your barrel, if you don't have slots just simply file off the locator tabs and you're good to go. There are jack screws on the bottom of the rail that tighten against the bottom of the barrel, drawing the mounting hardware tight, these rails are rock solid tight after install.

I have a question....What effect, if any, have you observed with the bottom jack screws and how they interact with barrel wobble?

Edited by bikermutt07

I have a question....What effect, if any, have you observed with the bottom jack screws and how they interact with barrel wobble?

You mean barrel harmonics?

Assuming your using this on a 7.62x39, your dealing with what? a 2MOA gun that already has barrel stress added by the gas system?

I wouldn't be worrying about it.

You mean barrel harmonics? Assuming your using this on a 7.62x39, your dealing with what? a 2MOA gun that already has barrel stress added by the gas system? I wouldn't be worrying about it.

All I know about barrel wobble is what I've seen on a youtube video, and it looked very violent.

I didn't know if it would be wise to crank set screws down on a barrel.

Is there a torque spec on the jack screws?

Edited by bikermutt07

Just remember your gas system is already being subjected to all of that and is fine.

Okey Dokey.

But, Cam is there a specific torque spec so I don't tweak the barrel with the jack screws.

(maybe it's not possible to do that with the jack screws, but I do not know.)

These are small set screws, you couldn't effect the barrel if you tried, you would strip out the heads on the screws long bebore you could achieve enough torque to do eveything altering to the barrel, just off the top of my head I'd say you would be lucky to reach 10 ft lbs. of torque before stripping out the allen wrench.

Are the AK and Saiga versions the same except for the Saiga having the extra pieces and screws for the Chaos HG retainer?

Yes, the saiga only requires a specially designed front bracket and a different rear key.

Just remember your gas system is already being subjected to all of that and is fine.

Okey Dokey.

But, Cam is there a specific torque spec so I don't tweak the barrel with the jack screws.

(maybe it's not possible to do that with the jack screws, but I do not know.)

These are small set screws, you couldn't effect the barrel if you tried, you would strip out the heads on the screws long bebore you could achieve enough torque to do eveything altering to the barrel, just off the top of my head I'd say you would be lucky to reach 10 ft lbs. of torque before stripping out the allen wrench.

Are the AK and Saiga versions the same except for the Saiga having the extra pieces and screws for the Chaos HG retainer?

Yes, the saiga only requires a specially designed front bracket and a different rear key.

Thanks, Cam. Just checking.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There are jack screws on the bottom of the rail that tighten against the bottom of the barrel, drawing the mounting hardware tight, these rails are rock solid tight after install.

First off the Chaos 7.62 rail is Awesome!!!

Looks Bad-Ass, easy to install, and seems pretty solid (although you can feel it flex slightly while using a sling).

A quick question:

Has anyone had any problems with the front Jack screw being too "short"?

I don't have any problems with the rear set screw, because it contacts the "Chamber end" of the barrel where the diameter is larger.

unfortunately, (to make contact w/ the barrel) the front Jack screw has to be screwed down so far that the screw feels as though its going to fall right out the other end....

Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need a longer set screw (about 1/8th on an inch)?

chaossetscrew001.jpg

(Crappy Drawing by Yuppicide)

Thank you for your kind words about our rail. You may need a longer set screw for the front to make better contact, that could also be allowing the flex, it's not tighten down all the way. The ones we have in house are rock solid, no flex at all! Go with a little longer screw, like you said about 1/8". If you can't find one PM me and we'll get one out to you. Oh, and the drawing, pretty good on the scale for a hand drawing.

• 2 weeks later...

A big Thumbs up to Chaos on not only their products, but also their Customer Service.

Cameron mailed me out a longer Jack screw, which I just installed.....

So, I would like slightly edit my last "review"

The Chaos 7.62 rail is Awesome!!!

Looks Bad-Ass, easy to install, and is ROCK SOLID, with ABSOLUTELY NO FLEX AT ALL!!!!!!

saigaak.jpg

• Like 1