Choke Necessary For HD/SHTF S-12 ?

I've got an IZ-109 and I'm considering getting a Polychoke for it. Just wondering if you guys think one is necessary for a HD/SHTF gun. I might also be doing some hunting with it here and there, but not much. Thanks in advance for any input.

Absolutely if you consider needing to put food on the table with your shotgun as a novel concept should the "S" hit the "F"

You don't need to keep it on the weapon 24/7, but it's one of those things that would be nice to have around should you ever want it & mail delivery/online purchases are disrupted.

It undoubtedly will improve your ability to shoot small moving targets at range.

For HD, you can answer that question better than we can. Do a walk around your house and yard. What is the longest defensive shot you are likely to take? Now go to the range and shoot at a paper target at that distance with the ammo you plan on leaving in there 24/7. Is your spread bigger than you want? Then either choke or flight control ammo. IMO anything inside 90 feet does not need one, but it doesn't hurt either. I leave mine on. I figure in town a tighter group is less chance of stray pellets hurting things I don't want to hurt.

If you plan on hunting, a good choke will make a big difference from the standard cylinder bore you have, and you can improve the accuracy and spread of your rounds down range of varying ammo. I would highly recommend a Winchoke adaptor from Cobra over the Polychoke. It gives you a wider range of choke options and runs a little lighter and tighter than the Polychoke from what I have read here on the forums and have seen with mine.

• Like 1

If you plan on hunting, a good choke will make a big difference from the standard cylinder bore you have, and you can improve the accuracy and spread of your rounds down range of varying ammo. I would highly recommend a Winchoke adaptor from Cobra over the Polychoke. It gives you a wider range of choke options and runs a little lighter and tighter than the Polychoke from what I have read here on the forums and have seen with mine.

This is my plan.

As far as the question of home defense, a choke on your shotgun is absolutely not needed.....This type of choke however can be Very handy and is one of a few Chokes that come in handy for home defense.

post-16191-0-37326300-1324087597_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 1

The Polychoke II can be used to spread shot as well as choke it. Right?

I've never actually tried mine like that, but It is supposed to have two negative choke settings.

Right, same here. I'd think having a wider shot pattern in the middle of the night at close range could be handy

I doubt it works, The blunderbuss with the funnel-muzzle have been tested to have no improvement in spread, but it made muzzle-loading a lot easier.

that's the purpose of the blunderbuss funnel, faster loading. i've seen some people who think it was for spreading shot and stuck useless funnel type devices on the end of their shotguns