woodfurniture for the Saiga

I have it all but stock 7.62. I would like my conversion to look like an original AK as possible. Who makes a good furniture set for the rifle? Does anybody make a complete conversion using wood furniture? I know that Tapco makes wooden furniture, but I haven't seen a complete conversion including the trigger. I also have questions as to how how well the Tapco furniture fits.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not a major hurry to do conversion but I would like to get a parts list together.

Thanks for the help

Yeah thanks guys. I've read some about the Timbersmith stocks. Some of the things I read said they were a little loose fitting. I guess what I would really like is an original Russian stock. I found one with website sold them but most of his kits are sold out. I'll check out Ironwood designs. A while ago I found a guy that made the Florida that I can't remember his website. I'll find it though.

Has anybody found a stock set that fits nice and tight? Maybe even one that you had to trim a little bit to make it fit.

Thanks for the help

Yeah thanks guys. I've read some about the Timbersmith stocks. Some of the things I read said they were a little loose fitting. I guess what I would really like is an original Russian stock. I found one with website sold them but most of his kits are sold out. I'll check out Ironwood designs. A while ago I found a guy that made the Florida that I can't remember his website. I'll find it though.

Has anybody found a stock set that fits nice and tight? Maybe even one that you had to trim a little bit to make it fit.

Thanks for the help

dxfvrb.jpg

this is a timbersmith set and it installed very tight, no movement or loose play in it at all. it does need to be installed with 3 screws (i used the original saiga stock screws) though. one under the receiver cover, on the tang and the bottom under the pistol grip. you will have to notch out under the grip for the bottom screw to get the grip to sit flush.

• Like 1

Timbersmith AKM stocks are modeled after Romanian wood, however they really don't resemble any sort of usual AK wood, especially their AK-74 stocks, which don't resemble any sort of AK stock at all.

Ironwood offers excellent replicas of various types of AK wood, in your choice of wood type, however expect to pay a price premium.

There was a Taiwanese reproduction AK-74 laminated wood set that was for sale last year. It was for airsoft rifles but apparently fit a standard AK very well. Unfortunately, now I can't find them for sale anywhere.

My personal preference is to just use surplus wood. Romanian and Bulgarian sets are dirt cheap. Russian sets can be found if you look. Polish laminate is also excellent, very good-looking wood. If you have any experience with wood finishing at all, you can make a great looking wood set from your AK using only old surplus wood.

Edited by mancat

The challenge with that is 922r compliance. Not that you can't get compliant without swapping stocks, but that's the easiest way. I mean, replacement trigger (3) plus furniture (3) gives you 6 pieces, usually puts your foreign count at 9 using a foreign magazine. It's also one of the less expensive ways, since you're replacing the stock no matter what. Why pay for parts you only need because you're not using an American-made stock?

• Like 1

If you want to use completely foreign furniture and foreign magazines, you end up needing to replace every practically replacable part: (remember they count the carrier extension now) I opted to change the floorplates on my russian magazines instead of swapping the operating rod or whatever you want to call it.

This means I changed a tappet that worked fine $9, a thread protector to the next cheapest, MD FH, $30, FCG, $30 (modified for pre-post travel), US Pistol grip traded, but nominally $18. Triggerguard reused and floorplates home made. retainer modified $12 plus effort. Beautiful refinished Furniture from Markw1 ~$65. = ~$164 over cost of the S12. (He sells sets that may need refinished for $25 or so, I bought one of each and recommend the refinished if you like his colors)

Oh, I also spent $2 on fasteners and $6 on duplicolor. Those wouldn't necessarily be in the kit, but that bumps the total cost to $172 over the gun.

Not too much more than the basic conversion kits on CSS $ 140.95 http://store.carolin...SION-KIT/Detail or MAA $139 http://www.mississip...tock-p-930.html.

More labor, but I think I have a much nicer looking and feeling gun for the effort. Total conversion time > 4 hours. About 2.5 of those hours could have been skipped by using a pre-made trigger guard and retainer, drop-in FCG and not having to ream out the wood fore-end. You will probably want to use a pre-made retainer.

post-17871-0-22738100-1324246747_thumb.jpg

Furniture before installation. (and reaming to clear the shotgun barrel.)

post-17871-0-17834100-1324247281_thumb.jpg

• Like 1