looking to do a bare bones conversion

Hey all

I am looking at getting a 5.56 saiga and doing a very bare bones conversion on it.

I want to keep the original trigger if at all possible, just add a pistol grip and a new butt stock. the problem im running into (am not very technical i'm afraid) are what parts to get?

the pistol grip of course, as well as the buttstock, possibly a grip nut...

is the factory trigger re-usable in a conversion? i assume you need to get rid of the transfer bars but otherwise it should still be good, right?

any advice would be much apreciated :)

The standard AK trigger includes the sear hook(s). The disconnector and hammer might (MIGHT) be reusable in a conversion to normality, but the trigger will not. Still, AK trigger group components are typically sold together and, due to potential differences in tolerances, seem more likely to work better together than parts selected a la carte. It's also an easy way to get three US-made parts in your now-922r relevant gun.

Hey all

I am looking at getting a 5.56 saiga and doing a very bare bones conversion on it.

I want to keep the original trigger if at all possible, just add a pistol grip and a new butt stock. the problem im running into (am not very technical i'm afraid) are what parts to get?

the pistol grip of course, as well as the buttstock, possibly a grip nut...

is the factory trigger re-usable in a conversion? i assume you need to get rid of the transfer bars but otherwise it should still be good, right?

any advice would be much apreciated :)

The factory fire control group becomes a thing of the past. The factory fire control group is actuated by mechanical linkage. The AK setup completely eliminates the linkage so no the factory trigger is a throw out. Plus where the normal trigger would be has been milled and is hidden by the lump on the block off plate on the unrestored Saiga.

There is a kit to add a pistol grip and stock on the factory setup but the cost is high. It's less expensive just to do the restoration. There are better fire control groups that can be installed if you do the restoration.

All you need to be legal is 5 US parts. The fire control group counts for 3 parts and the stock and pistol grip is 2 more. You can install an aftermarket piston if you want but it is unnecessary.

Hope this helps you.

The standard AK trigger includes the sear hook(s). The disconnector and hammer might (MIGHT) be reusable in a conversion to normality, but the trigger will not. Still, AK trigger group components are typically sold together and, due to potential differences in tolerances, seem more likely to work better together than parts selected a la carte. It's also an easy way to get three US-made parts in your now-922r relevant gun.

The hammer is reusable but not the disconnector. The factory disconnector needs the insert from the factory FCG for it to work. It will not fit in most of the aftermarket triggers without major modifications as far as I know.

Define cheap. You can go to someplace like Dinzag and get a Tapco G2 FCG for $39, add a basic Tapco pistol grip for $12 and AK Original Style buttstock for $29. You are out the door for under $90. Can't get much cheaper than that (and 922r compliant, to boot). Plus the improvement of getting rid of the craptastic stock trigger and buttstock is priceless.

Define cheap. You can go to someplace like Dinzag and get a Tapco G2 FCG for $39, add a basic Tapco pistol grip for $12 and AK Original Style buttstock for $29. You are out the door for under $90. Can't get much cheaper than that (and 922r compliant, to boot). Plus the improvement of getting rid of the craptastic stock trigger and buttstock is priceless.

Do this! You won't regret it when it's finished.

am gonna wait for tax return time (woot!) to get everything. I have done some homework, and am confident I can do the conversion myself.

I also want to maybe take part in the 3 gun competitions... hence the .223 saiga

cant wait to make those AR guys mad that they've just been out-shot by an AK :D