Case neck Swelling PICS...

Huh.. I'd never heard of this deliberate case expansion by Saigas before. Can anyone confirm one way or the other whether or not Arsenal's SGL20 model includes this undesirable "feature"? As others have mentioned, this has got to reduce muzzle velocity...

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you were never interested in one. Why are you in here?

with regards to reloading:   the following pic shows a fired case on left with step, a resized case in middle and a completed reloaded round on right     as you can see the resized case gets ri

Same here. Recently purchased (2) '09s. Didn't even know enough to ask for particular features. Ended up with dimpled receivers, pg holes and threaded military barrels. Sometimes you just score I gues

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
5.56 doesn't do the neck swelling thing, but it does get the same ding in the side of the spent case.

That makes sense, since the Russian military doesn't use 5.56 NATO, any spent casings found by Russian police are obviously not from Russian military weapons, so no "step" is necessary.

I've since answered my own question from a couple posts above: Arsenal SGL20's do not have this Russian gun control "feature" either. No "steps" in my case necks. It wouldn't have been a big deal either way, but I have to admit that I'm glad my rifle doesn't deform casings like that, (she just dents the shit out of the side of em ;) ).

sgl20shavingbrass011.th.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got to the range today with my two bone stock x39 Saigas (a rifle and a carbine) and sighted them in with Wolf 122Gr. FMJ. Both shot surprisingly well.

Things got interesting when I tried shooting some reloads I'd put together 10 years ago for my now-departed Mini-30. They shot very well also, a little better than the Wolf except for a flyer or two. Then I went looking for the brass (3x reloaded IMI).

Found circumferential case neck cracks in about half of the cases. The cracks were just above the case shoulder in the middle of the bulged area caused by the gun control "feature". The carbine was fired after the rifle and on one case fired in the carbine, the upper part of the neck was missing. That's what got my attention. On checking the other cases fired in the carbine, I found several others that were cracked in the same location. Going back to the cases fired earlier in the rifle, I found cracks on about a third of them, but no neck separations.

There wasn't any gas leakage from the action, nor was there any sign of it on the sides of the cases. Both loads were put together with starting powder charges and felt light when shot. One used a light 110Gr. bullet (shot in rifle) while the other used a heavy 165Gr. bullet (in carbine). Cracking seemed worse with the heavy bullet, but several case necks cracked with each load. None of the Wolf steel cases I retrieved showed any sign of cracking.

So, no more reloads for the Saigas....and maybe no more brass case ammo for the Saigas. I've got a little S&B brass case stuff that I might try, but I'm not buying any more for these guns. Steel case only from now on. Guess I'll have to go find another Mini-30 if I want to shoot those reloads.

This was the only negative in my first outing with these guns. They're actually great little shooters, more accurate than I'd hoped, and neither missed a beat. It's a shame that the single issue came from an "engineered defect".

If you're shooting brass, keep an eye on the cases.

Bob

Edited by 555JM
  • Like 1

My SGL20 doesn't crack brass cases, (or deform em with that idiotic "gun control feature"), but regardless I won't be putting any more brass through her. She does dent the shit out of the sides upon spent case ejection and shave bits o brass off in the receiver.

Steel casings get a (smaller) side dent as well, but they're cheaper and non-reloadable anyway. So, it's steel only from here on out.

Thanks for the response, Sh00ter. I might have to look into annealing case necks after each resize. I seem to recall reading a procedure for doing so in one of my manuals. Something like arranging the cases in a tub of water with just the necks and shoulders above water. Then heating the exposed necks with a torch. Sounds messy.

There are still 400 unfired IMI cases here from 10 years ago. Glad I didn't order more. Lapua brass is too pricey in the States. Would rather spend the money on Wolf.

Bob

and shave bits o brass off in the receiver.

this is one area i havnt rectified yet, i get very small particles of brass that collect just under the chamber, i had attributed it to the magazine lips - as the cases have a fine scratch along the length - i was thinking of slightly polishing the underneath of the feed lips on one magazine and seeing how i go.

ive also read the same thing about annealing cases! have never done so though, will be interesting to hear from you if you do it. :D

• 1 month later...

I remember reading reading about a chamber insert for converting 30-06 chambers to .308 - has anyone investigated making a similar sleeve-type insert in the case neck area of a Saiga 7.62x39 chamber? Maybe heat the barrel/freeze the insert to insure retention, perhaps kissing after installation with a chamber reamer? Don't know how well that would work with a chrome plated chamber (probably not good for the reamer) - any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Random chance...

They say the Sun even shines on a dog's ass now and then...

I am going to guess you got either an older barrel matched to the newer rifle, or they made a few that way for a military contract, and the over run went to general production...

either way... ROCK ON! LOL

:smoke:

Looks like an ejected Galil .223 or 5.56 casing. I always figured the Israelis did this to keep the spent shells from being collected, and reloaded by the enemy.

Didn't expect to see it on a Russian gun.

WS

• 1 month later...

A comment on the thread "SGL 21 being cheap" (temporarily), mentioned that they had military barrels (no step). My Saiga Sporter (purchased stock, then I converted), was purchased 2009, current production, and does not have the step. Also, it is dimpled. Don't know what any of that signifies, but seems out of the ordinary. I really didn't pay any attention to the "step" situation, until I fired some Fiocchi brass cased ammo a few days ago. The classic "ding" as I always get from ejection, but no discernable step. I have to assume that a military barrel was installed in my sporter, or the practice is spotty or discontinued - ? Pleased, in any case.

Sailor

My 12/16//09 rifle (with dimples) doesn't do this at all. I get a super-small flat spot near the top of the case and thats it. Maybe I got a military bbl/chamber. ??

I know my S/N on the trunnion looks like a mess by the H. Maybe they were going to stamp one way and went another. 027.gif

• 2 weeks later...

My 12/16//09 rifle (with dimples) doesn't do this at all. I get a super-small flat spot near the top of the case and thats it. Maybe I got a military bbl/chamber. ??

I know my S/N on the trunnion looks like a mess by the H. Maybe they were going to stamp one way and went another. 027.gif

So what's the consensus on the 'stepped' chamber on the saiga 7.62x39? Are the newer ones not comming with this, or are stepped ones still showing up (on new production)? I'm considering getting one, but if the newer ones (09) are still stepped, I'll definatly pass and get a mini-30. Any additional info will be greatly appreciated.

proud owner of:

saiga-12

saiga-223

saiga-308

Pogey.. Don't let the RING concern you unless you plan on reloading the x39. You can get an Aresenal for like <$600 and avoid all this also.

Mine was made 12/16/08 (not 09 as above duh)

Here is a pic of the casing ding and teeny flat spot by the case mouth.

No visable ring in the chamber mouth also.

post-8775-12594141040276.jpg

Also were not in Russia to worry about them figuring 'military' from us 'sporters'. As long as it goes bang everytime I wouldn't care. I want a Y stamped in my receiver (for looks) wub.gif but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Edited by YouWontHearItComing
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to add data, my newly acquired Saiga 7.62 (09 model) has dimples, and doesn't seem to make the case step mark. So far I only ran some brown bear (steel case) thought it. I heard somewhere that steel case might not deform with the step so I'll try some brass cases when I get a chance. Can't tell if I have the threaded barrel, here's to hoping :)

Just to add data, my newly acquired Saiga 7.62 (09 model) has dimples, and doesn't seem to make the case step mark. So far I only ran some brown bear (steel case) thought it. I heard somewhere that steel case might not deform with the step so I'll try some brass cases when I get a chance. Can't tell if I have the threaded barrel, here's to hoping :)

from what i gather, the step/neck swelling shows up on steel cases as well.

Last weekend I shot wolf, military classic, and brass cased ammo through a 2008 imported saiga.

All the saiga ammo was stepped steel cased and brass cased.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Just the view from my soapbox....

I've yet to own a 7.62 x 39 Saiga. Only the shotguns so far. Just starting to read up on the rifles. Looking at the stepped chamber situation from my perspective (not owning one yet), I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of it and see how much it really matters. As I see it.....and God knows that might not be correct.....

As I understand it, if you reload, you'll probably reduce the step when you resize the case, but I don't know a whole lot about reloading and I'm not sure if the step would be eliminated for the next loading or not. If it doesn't, having the step in the chamber would allow you to fire previously stepped casings as well as non-stepped ones. So that would be a plus.

If you have other 7.62 x 39 firearms though, you probably wouldn't be able to chamber these reloaded rounds, assuming they kept the step in the casings. Even a slight swelling in the neck might cause issues in non-stepped chambers. That could be a good thing though, if you're worried about someone else using your ammo against you in THEIR weapons.

If you're concerned about empties being identified as yours, I suppose a non-stepped chamber would be better. But really though, modern technology can ID casings regardless. So to my way of thinking, it's not as critical. It's more a question of being able to shoot reloaded stepped ammo or not.

As has been stated, you can buy a boatload of ammo, and much of the imported stuff isn't easily reloadable anyway. So........do I think a stepped chamber is a bad thing?

Not really. Yeah, it could possibly be used to ID that the casings were fired from a Saiga. Will that matter a whole lot in a survival situation? I doubt it.

Does the step rob power from the round that would otherwise propel the bullet? Yeah, I suppose it might a little. I'm not a ballistics expert, but I doubt the difference will be substantial. A decrease in velocity perhaps. Will it matter much in accuracy? Again, it might a little, but we're talking AKs here, not bolt action sniper rifles. I doubt it will affect things to any great degree.

Obviously, these are just my opinions. They are greatly prone to being incorrect or under-educated. I wouldn't mind seeing someone that has two Saigas (one with and one without the step) compare velocity and accuracy SIDE BY SIDE with the same ammo.

Corbin

• Like 1