Case neck Swelling PICS...

with regards to reloading:

the following pic shows a fired case on left with step, a resized case in middle and a completed reloaded round on right

step.JPG

as you can see the resized case gets rid of the step completely - although the case is still marked.

as the marking is still visible (although step removed) i am assuming that the amount of times it can be reloaded until failing around the neck is reduced. However, I have reloaded these cases at least 10 times and they are still not showing any sign of failing. The vertical marks on the completed round on the neck are scratches and not signs of cracking! My saiga is my only rifle that scratches the hell out of cases....

• Like 2
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you were never interested in one. Why are you in here?

with regards to reloading:   the following pic shows a fired case on left with step, a resized case in middle and a completed reloaded round on right     as you can see the resized case gets ri

Same here. Recently purchased (2) '09s. Didn't even know enough to ask for particular features. Ended up with dimpled receivers, pg holes and threaded military barrels. Sometimes you just score I gues

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the few casings I found after shooting my new 7.62 yesterday. No neck swelling at all and the lightest kiss possible too, which is unlike my 223. That one nearly folds the casings in half. (slight exaggeration)

4372444020_19561e1650_o.jpg

The primers seem well struck also.

4372444040_1259ffb9e5_o.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I'm glad I found this place and this thread! I just bought a Saiga and have an Arsenal SGL 21 as well, the Saiga swells the case neck but the Arsenal doesn't. I was afraid I had a dangerous rifle on my hands until I came here, thank for the good info and the pics!

Edited by pslman
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok, a little off topic... but I am interested in reloading for the Saiga .223 and am wondering about the dented side of the case. Is it still safe to reload? or should I make some kind of buffer to keep it from getting dented before I start any reloading?

• 2 weeks later...

A buffer will help... a small piece of rubber moulding along the edge of the dustcover will work... theres a few threads on this on the forum...

Also, yes... those brass that are dinged up WILL BE reloadable... and they will retain a little bit of the dent... but they will be just fine.

They can most likely be reloaded multiple times... but I would be VERY careful to inspect them EACH loading to make sure that structural integrity is not lost... 223 brass is cheap enough to buy... no sense exaggerating a potentially bad condition for a few pieces of brass when they get too far gone...

:smoke:

Things got interesting when I tried shooting some reloads I'd put together 10 years ago for my now-departed Mini-30. They shot very well also, a little better than the Wolf except for a flyer or two. Then I went looking for the brass (3x reloaded IMI).

<STUFF DELETED>

Found circumferential case neck cracks in about half of the cases. The cracks were just above the case shoulder in the middle of the bulged area caused by the gun control "feature". The carbine was fired after the rifle and on one case fired in the carbine, the upper part of the neck was missing. That's what got my attention. On checking the other cases fired in the carbine, I found several others that were cracked in the same location. Going back to the cases fired earlier in the rifle, I found cracks on about a third of them, but no neck separations.

<STUFF DELETED>

If you're shooting brass, keep an eye on the cases.

Bob

A number of sources I've come across say it's a bad idea to shoot brass-cased ammo after the rifle has been shooting steel-cased stuff for a while, unless you clean the chamber area thoroughly first. Apparently both the lacquer-coated and polymer-coated steel cases can leave a residue in the chamber that causes the brass cases to stick, resulting in hard extraction. Some folks have even reported case-head separations, which often leads to one heck of a hassle removing the stuck headless case. Which also puts the gun out of action for a while. :rolleyes:

My Saiga 7.62x39 has the "feature", so it's only going to digest cheap steel-case ammo or (after cleaning) non-reloadable surplus brass-case stuff.

A number of sources I've come across say it's a bad idea to shoot brass-cased ammo after the rifle has been shooting steel-cased stuff for a while, unless you clean the chamber area thoroughly first. Apparently both the lacquer-coated and polymer-coated steel cases can leave a residue in the chamber that causes the brass cases to stick, resulting in hard extraction. Some folks have even reported case-head separations, which often leads to one heck of a hassle removing the stuck headless case. Which also puts the gun out of action for a while. :rolleyes:

My Saiga 7.62x39 has the "feature", so it's only going to digest cheap steel-case ammo or (after cleaning) non-reloadable surplus brass-case stuff.

This can be a problem in the AR15 platform also, if not just by shooting only lacquer coated stuff only in there.

• 4 months later...

My first range visit today with my new Saiga 7.62 and it has the swelled case issue also. I brought a few of the Prvi Partizan brass/boxer to see if the sizing die will straighten them out, which it seems to just fine. OK time to put a barrel with a good chamber on it...................:sadam:

• 6 months later...

can one buy a civilian saiga from izmash without the this step in the barrel?

how much would it cost to remove it afterwards?

Yes, some have it, some don't.

You can request a online vendor to check the rifle for it, just like requesting dimpled receiver and such.

Or if buying at a LGS, check for it yourself.

Not removable, you'd have to add material to fill in the step.

Replace the barrel, yes, but you might as well buy a new rifle.

that's messed up, i'll ask the vendor to ship me a decent barreled rifle

i hate that gun control BS

here in italy it's not as easy as in the us to put your hands on surplus ammo... i might have to reload, and i don't want to see that shit on my brasses

fucking gun control.... i bet it's because of gun control that we have to install bullet guides and work the magwell in order to fit ak mags!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Received my Saiga 7.62x39 today. Imported by TGI, 09 serial, No step in the barrel.

Same here. Recently purchased (2) '09s. Didn't even know enough to ask for particular features. Ended up with dimpled receivers, pg holes and threaded military barrels. Sometimes you just score I guess.

BTW, thanks to all the forum members who made my conversion so easy. Glad to have found your Kalashnikovnesses.

Edited by logartist
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

that's a bunch of crap for people considering reloading. Not to mention the wasted power charge and reduced velocity from 'expanding' the case. If I'm wrong correct me, but I just found a good reason not to buy a Saiga AK, not that I was ever very interested in one anyway.

how you figure ? a litle exta space in chamber for this swelln to occur just makes the weapon more reliable since it will be real hard for jam to happen, and casing hitig the receiver that causes a ding also reduces the possibiity of a "stove pipe"

i know peple who reloaded this damaged casings and used dies and resizing tools and kits as an experiment and it functioned with no problems. reloadind spent casings is purely out of a hobby since this ammo is dirt cheap , and not woth time and effort to reload . i would rather collect brass casing and sell it to metal recycling and buy more ammo :) you can always "reload" that way :))

that's a bunch of crap for people considering reloading. Not to mention the wasted power charge and reduced velocity from 'expanding' the case. If I'm wrong correct me, but I just found a good reason not to buy a Saiga AK, not that I was ever very interested in one anyway.

how you figure ? a litle exta space in chamber for this swelln to occur just makes the weapon more reliable since it will be real hard for jam to happen, and casing hitig the receiver that causes a ding also reduces the possibiity of a "stove pipe"

i know peple who reloaded this damaged casings and used dies and resizing tools and kits as an experiment and it functioned with no problems. reloadind spent casings is purely out of a hobby since this ammo is dirt cheap , and not woth time and effort to reload . i would rather collect brass casing and sell it to metal recycling and buy more ammo smile.png you can always "reload" that way smile.png)

and reduced velocity is so insignificant , its not worth mentionig
  • 5 months later...

hey yall,

I know this thread is kinda old but I just found this place... just wanted to throw in a few things I was thinkin on while reading this thread...

those dings will shorten the life of yor brass but there are a few things you all can do if you want to reload to help with the damage... if your getting extraction dings put that weather strip on the dust cover. it looks silly but it works... as for the swelling necks you can anneal the case necks before you load them to soften them. and its easy dont worry about putting them half in water or anything just get you a pair of pliers hold the case near the head and pass the mouth and neck through the flame on a lil propane torch till it colors blue NO MORE then that or you will make them too soft and they will wad up in your die when you go to stretch them. as soon as you get that bluish tint to your brass throw them into a bucket of water. the process only needs to happen once, not after every shot. or you can speed up the process a lil bit by chucking a deep socket in your power drill drop a case in the end heat it and then just turn the end down over ur bowl of water when the temp is right. that trick also works for making expensive brass outta cheap stuff by necking down and trimming it to length..

as for cheap ammo there isnt any nowadays after the big ammo scare when obama took office. I used to get 500rd wolf 762x39 for bout 10 cents a shot a couple yrs ago here locally but now its more like 250 for 500 rds or 50c a shot

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and really glad I found it.

I wanted to buy an Izhmash AK for a while now and first decided to do some scouting on the net before putting time, effort and money into ordering one from Izhmash.

Actually, never heard about this "feature" untill just now. Got a bit worried at first but, after reading this it seems like not such a big deal. So far it also seems that some people randomly get a stepped chamber even today. I suppose the older the production date, the lesser the chance to get one.

So my question to all you knowledgably people:

Do all 7.62 x 39 Saiga's have this? Could there be any export-only versions that don't have this?

I have counted about 15 different Saiga x 39 versions so far.

Although the differences are minor, they still have a different version number.

Edited by Danny_47