Muzzle Brake Install- Worth it?

I have converted me 7.62 Saiga and gone out to the range. Functions well, and its a blast to shoot. Will be switching out my hand guards but cannot decide whether to get a muzzle brake or not.

Looking at dinzag I figured I would go with the 74 brake that is threaded enough to reach the FSP. Has anyone used this?

Does the brake have a significant effect on recoil and muzzle climb, etc? Or is it going to end up being more for looks?

On saiga rifles, I dont think theres any brake or flash hider that will thread ALL THE WAY to the FSB. Just make sure you have your brake in your hand when you cut the shroud back.

There have been a good many guys who have cut before knowing the inside thread length on their brake. Than they have to use a jam nut so the end of their gun doesnt look like shit, with a big gap showing.

An original style 74 brake does a good job on muzzle climb. There are american made knockoffs that dont work as well. I think kvars 74style brake is good to the original design and works as it should. The tapco 74 brake isnt as good, from what ive heard. Just do some digging and youll find something that suits you.

Welcome to the forum

If the 74 style brake is the one you want, you will need an adapter. Just google "24mm to 14mm adapter" and you will find them.

if you want to use a brake that doesnt need an adapter (14-1), PWS (primary weapon systems) has two decent brakes, the JTAC($65) and FSC($100). The jtac doesnt hide flash and the fsc tries to. But from what Ive seen, they both reduce muzzle climb pretty well, and similar to eachother.

If you want to go really cheap, tapco makes the "slot brake". Its probably better than any other >$20 brake at reducing muzzle climb.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a jones for the Battlecomp AKBC, but it's pretty spendy...

I wonder how it stacks up to a 50dollars less, PWS FSC? I cant say Ive heard alot about them, But they look very interesting.

Edited by Boomsick42

I have converted me 7.62 Saiga and gone out to the range. Functions well, and its a blast to shoot. Will be switching out my hand guards but cannot decide whether to get a muzzle brake or not.

Looking at dinzag I figured I would go with the 74 brake that is threaded enough to reach the FSP. Has anyone used this?

Does the brake have a significant effect on recoil and muzzle climb, etc? Or is it going to end up being more for looks?

The 74 brakes are quite effective at reducing muzzle climb, so long as it's a real 74 brake and not a 74 style brake. The former having offset port holes, the latter having inline ones.(Dinzag's website explains this) As far as reducing recoil, it doesn't really reduce it as much as it "redirects" it, from up and back to down and back, into your shoulder. Hope this helps.

Changed FSB out on the 5.45 and cut/threaded my 7.62.

Didn't think the threading would be such a pain. Once I got the first couple threads started (with good leverage) I had no problem. Getting the FSC to index properly with crush washer took some fitting.

Cutting old FSB off the 5.45 and installing new, drill and pin was pretty straightforward.

I like the improved follow ups on both. Wife's 7.62 has no break and is fine.

MB1.jpg

MB2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey NMO, if you were to do it again which option do you prefer?

I will be doing another FSB change on a 5.45 and will eventually thread the wife's rifle.

Changing FSB is easier. Threading gives you more options.

I've got a jones for the Battlecomp AKBC, but it's pretty spendy...

I wonder how it stacks up to a 50dollars less, PWS FSC? I cant say Ive heard alot about them, But they look very interesting.

The Battlecomp is worth the extra $50.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • 1 month later...

On my 5.45 I used a small pipe cottuer to score the shroud, then used a hacksaw to cut it the rest of the way. The 5.45 doesn't have much recoil compared to the rest of the Saiga's. I think it even has less than the 5.56 depending on the load you are using. I put a Red Jacket M16 style flash hider on mine. I can change it out though if I decide I need something else. Once you have done it once, it's much easier the second time. Did my friends 5.45 in less than half the time.

• 1 month later...

On my 5.45 I used a small pipe cottuer to score the shroud, then used a hacksaw to cut it the rest of the way. The 5.45 doesn't have much recoil compared to the rest of the Saiga's. I think it even has less than the 5.56 depending on the load you are using. I put a Red Jacket M16 style flash hider on mine. I can change it out though if I decide I need something else. Once you have done it once, it's much easier the second time. Did my friends 5.45 in less than half the time.

did you have threads?
  • 4 weeks later...

I would definitaly go the route of swapping out the fsb to one that is 24mm specifically bulgarian as they are easier and cheaper to find than russian ones. Markw has them for a better price than you can find on any online sites. They are pretty straight forward to get off and on usually without a press. 14mm threaded brakes are not very good at redirecting muzzle climb while the 24mm ones are a lot better. They are also more realistic than cutting the shroud and threading it is also cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...