• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the range and tested compensator/optics combo.   Recoil and muzzle jump are more of the .22-cal grade. I shot a video (need to compress from Blu-Ray; will post soon) and was watching it in

It would look great cut straight flush with the gas block IMO.   Excuse my terrible photoshop skills, but somewhat like this:

Yep... Similar interests indeed. Good Job Sgt Raven. Evolution is definitely a good name.     Here's my baby...          

Posted Images

Thanks!

I shoot NATO, but not as often as I should (I envy you for 100% use in yours; good job!).

It runs hotter (duh), but still just as manageable in keeping on target with Miculek comp, spare the slightly more felt recoil.

"Fuglystick" handguard is a blessing: still works like a champ.

On another note (no need for BTT), the "BIG" changes are slowly but surely roasting up.

Sneak peak report: there is a reason why Harris and Fuglystick are removed.

Don't get me wrong: I still love 'em; they are both "keepers", so hold your offers.

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • 1 month later...

I know, it was a while, and quite a few changes in works are altering my original plans, but here it is for now:

Brand-spanking new Leatherwood CMR 1-4x red dot is sitting ready, drooling like a overhyped puppy, awaiting its state-of-the-art Midwest Industries 30 mm scope mount (following closely behind).

(Thanks to Josey88 and other LW owners, who influenced my decision to step up and hurt my wallet: JK!).

I ran PMAGs (Gen 2, new and used), C-Products, new and used USGI (green and orange followers) without single hiccup.

All mags were 30-rounders.

Mag well feels just right: nothing wobbles in it, but not a single issue/failure to lock in or drop free.

Speaking of "final" (Lord, have mercy on my credit card!): it's not finished.

New scope and mount, plus stock group are in works.

Happy New Year!

http://youtu.be/YbAfJRpUoz4

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • 2 weeks later...

Presenting "AKAR-DA" in the process of its "Gen 2" transformation with:

- built-in permanent AR mag adapter with LRBHO (solid 4140),

- MI 30mm AK sidemount;

- Leatherwood CMR 1-4x;

- custom Fuglystick hand guard

- "bird cage" flash suppressor on 1/2x28 barrel threading.

Not pictured: Harris bipod. Range report is coming. Future upgrades: alternative pistol grip, sling mounts and modular stock.

DSC_0372ms_zpscabc9240.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

My buddy spooned me with few USGIs in the middle of mag sweeping craze, and shipped them inside the "specialty" packaging (see below).
Just in case, I cleaned them with sanitary wipes prior to use (JK).
I thought it was hilarious.
Oh Lord, didn't I give him a lot of grief about...

post-28515-0-73823100-1358601706_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven
My buddy spooned me with few USGIs in the middle of mag sweeping craze, and shipped them inside the "specialty" packaging (see below).

Before I logged in to see the pics, I expected to see he had unrolled some condoms over them!

Before I logged in to see the pics, I expected to see he had unrolled some condoms over them!

Oh Lord,

Don't give him any ideas like these...

'cause he will.

After "hollywooding" in the woods right after getting it, I went to the County range and (after extended waiting due to record attendance: sign of times) landed me a 50 yds lane (couldn't even get on 100, it was so packed).

Sighted in (in few short rounds) and went to qual.

Bottom line: it's a keeper.

Target pictures below.

TgtComb_zps9fa77490.jpg

It would look great cut straight flush with the gas block IMO.

Excuse my terrible photoshop skills, but somewhat like this:

3mnzk.jpg

Dunno if anybody has productionized that, but I'd buy one in a hearbeat. Wouldn't mind a rail on the gas tube, either.

It would look great cut straight flush with the gas block IMO.

Excuse my terrible photoshop skills, but somewhat like this:

Dunno if anybody has productionized that, but I'd buy one in a hearbeat. Wouldn't mind a rail on the gas tube, either.

Yep. This is standard length fuglystyck.

There are some vented steel gas tube covers are floating around; hit me up when found.

I contacted some small shop quite sometime ago, but never got reply, so dropped it.

My friend (professional Machinist) can replicate it for the gas tube, but once you add fastener design, etc it gets pricey (he's a friend, but still have a mortgage to pay).

In a mean time, here is LRBHO in action, plus casual mag swap:

http://youtu.be/f20rk_yrBhE

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • 4 weeks later...

AKAR-DA in its final configuration with added M4 tube adapter and my all-time favorites Magpul MOE stock and Hogue pistol grip.

Thanks for all critiques and encouragement.

Happy Shooting!

post-28515-0-58101400-1361630877_thumb.jpg

post-28515-0-66466300-1361630923_thumb.jpg

post-28515-0-66011600-1361630947_thumb.jpg

P.S. I will still throw few updates down the road.

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 1
Which stock adapter did you use in the photo above with the collapsable stock?

The one from CSS:

M4 STYLE COLLAPSIBLE STOCK ADAPTER "COMMERCIAL SIZE" ALUMINUM TUBE

SKU: CSS-AK-TUBE

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1152/M4-AK-Saiga-Stock/Detailhttp://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1152/M4-AK-Saiga-Stock/Detail

Edited by Sgt. Raven
Would you mind if I publish this photo on one of the Russian sites -?

Please, do!

I'd be honored.

Let me know if you need high resolution versions as well; I can PM or e-mail them to you.

Please, pardon my lack of skills, imagination, talent, and patience, when comes to Photography.

What's the weight unloaded no optics no tripod?

Corrected:

Rifle only: 8.6 lbs.
Just in case:
Rifle + Optics: 10.4 lbs.
Rifle + Optics + Bipod: 10.8 lbs.
Length with stock collapsed: 33 3/4"
Length with stock fully extended: 37 5/8".
Happy Shooting!
Edited by Sgt. Raven
have you thought about putting either a krebs enhanced safety or the cheaper version http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30213

i recommend it on any ak especially this one

also have you thought about the linch left side charging handle?

1) "Not yet" (on Krebs), but you've got me thinking about. Very likely I'll get it, thanks!
2) "No" on Linch charging. Despite all its advantages, I don't see it's working for me, since:
a.) I use siderail mounted optics most of the time;
b.) I have "bolt hold open" (LRBHO); therefore, I run charging handle only once.
Great suggestions!
That's what I like this open forum for.
Edited by Sgt. Raven

it must jam all the time. .223 isn't supposed to work in an AK. better get rid of it.

I'm just kidding of course. I currently have this retard commenting in my youtube videos that I need to get a reliable firearm because AKs aren't designed to fire .223. meanwhile I probably fired a couple hundred rounds through the Saiga .223 collectively in all of my videos and I don't recall the gun jamming in any of them.

just thought this was the most retarded thing ever, wanted to rant on it, but no new topic.

• Like 1
I'm with you, Brother!

Since it was "designed to jam", as I guess, logical extension of "not designed for ____" (fill the caliber), I'm sweating my @$$ off trying to support this (retarded) concept, starting with 5.45x39 (from Soviet-made service grade select fire AKS-74, AKS-74U, RPK-74, followed by my first Saiga conversion in 5.45x39 few years ago) to un-proletarian, capitalist', "foe" and evil .223/5.56x45.

I must be doing something wrong, but third rifle (and second "non-native" caliber) works just as General Kalashnikov intended, when designing his rifle for 7.62x39.

And now being fed from PMAGs, USGIs, Lancers, C-Ps, etc., and having built-in "true" M/AR-style LRBHO and mag release???

What's next: former foes joining the NATO?

Oh, wait... never mind...

Speaking of General, for those who haven't checked it out yet, here is a link to virtual tour of Kalashnikov Museum in Izhevsk, Russia:

P.S. Out of curiosity: was that comment about reliability of .223 Saiga made by the same (s)elected official, who is an "expert on women's self-defense" (a.k.a. "Shotgun Joe")?

Just asking...shinner.gif

Edited by Sgt. Raven