sgt. raven do you think you could run tech sights underneath that scope?

I am certain, "no".

Not with this scope (length wise).

However, with any shorter red dot (Vortex, Aimpoint and other 1x) and single ring MI or RS mounts, I am positive you can do that, but your rear sight will block lower 1/3 of your red dot view.

Check this image of installed Tech Sight for reference (credits: Oleg Volk):

akms_3260web.jpg

...and my Leatherwood CMR on MI for spacing comparison:

post-28515-0-25886600-1366804272_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the range and tested compensator/optics combo.   Recoil and muzzle jump are more of the .22-cal grade. I shot a video (need to compress from Blu-Ray; will post soon) and was watching it in

It would look great cut straight flush with the gas block IMO.   Excuse my terrible photoshop skills, but somewhat like this:

Yep... Similar interests indeed. Good Job Sgt Raven. Evolution is definitely a good name.     Here's my baby...          

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Sgt. Raven,

I've been kicking around the idea of buying the MI 30mm scope mount you are using, it appears to mount the scope as low as possible. From your use/experience with it, does it center the scope on your rifle? I have an MI side rail scope mount that when mounted on one of my 308's it places the scope to the right of center when looking down the top cover. Thanks in advance.

Sgt. Raven,

I've been kicking around the idea of buying the MI 30mm scope mount you are using, it appears to mount the scope as low as possible. From your use/experience with it, does it center the scope on your rifle? I have an MI side rail scope mount that when mounted on one of my 308's it places the scope to the right of center when looking down the top cover. Thanks in advance.

In my experience with this particular setup (MI 30 mm scope mount and Leatherwood 1-4x), scope sits right over the sight line, and front iron sight is visible in lower 1/3 at 1x, centered with my scope reticle.

I'll try to snap and post a picture of view through the scope and in reference to the sight line.

Hope that helps,

Happy Shooting!

P.S. Added pictures (scope is at 4x):

post-28515-0-00019700-1372205516_thumb.jpg

post-28515-0-56452400-1372205512_thumb.jpg

post-28515-0-15360700-1372240715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

Finally got mine back and got it all together for now. Just need to get to the range and test it out now. I guess the pics are too big for me to attach here but I shared them in the gallery. For those that are wondering what it looks like with different mags I took a pic of it with an elander 30 rd steel mag, a 30 rd pmag, and a 20 rd straight GI style mag. Someone send me a free beta mag and I'll be sure to upload pics with it too

haha.gif

Lets see if I can remember what all was done to it. Initial conversion was done by me was quiet basic with some spare parts I had just to get it in proper feeling config until I could ship it to have the magwell work done.

Magwell, threaded barrel, ar15 birdcage flash hider installed and refinished by definitive arms. Work looks and feels very professional and solid to me.

I put on a

• midwest industries quad rail forend
  • md arms molot clone grip
  • tapco trigger group
  • the buffer tube adapter thing from CSS
  • mako gl mag stock
  • rail mounted sling qd socket
  • cheap 2 point sling with qd connectors

Probably will make a couple more changes, my projects never seem to finish. Planning on some kinda vertical foregirp. I want something good and solid without weighting a ton and not the magpul rail grip thing. Something I can get my full hand on. Also will pick up some ladder rail covers for the unused sections so I don't cheese grater my hands on them. Maybe find some kinda light that it and some of my other long guns can share. Thinking about the streamlight TLR1 HP or TLR 1 HL. Maybe something else, i'm open to suggestions in the $100-200 price range for a good quality weapon light that ideally would be pretty good out to about 100 yards. Easily swapped between weapons is a big plus, can't really afford a dedicated light for every gun I have.

Edited by jojo200517

Looking good and very adaptable.

Speaking of pictures, since you already posted them into your Gallery, you can copy their URL (link) and post via "Image" button.

Hope you don't mind me posting one of your late uploads?

Here we go:

gallery_36810_1262_75493.png

Speaking of vertical/angled foregrip: I'm exploring the original MGRIP (I don't care about the CAA' spin MGRIP1), since I'm used to gripping the magwell for close range/multiple targets engagement.

I know, it will irk some 3G shooters, but before anyone will move to crucify me, check with current real-deal doorkickers first.

I'm sure Jerry Miculek could 3G through CQB, but since I don't have his talents and resources, I've got to use what worked for me.

Modern day firearm is a personal experience.

Make it work for YOU, regardless if guy next to you likes it or not.

Happy Shooting!

Edited by Sgt. Raven

Nothing fancy. Gunny-customized AK-74 (good), GRG MFG (very good), borrowed Rainier (very good) and few likes.

I might be partial to Miculek since the very first one I bought, but from feel of it to watching (recorded) muzzle climb and recoil: this is the right one for me.

My rating? Superior!

My personal opinion.

Happy Shooting!

New grip (MGRIP) installed; picture is coming up shortly.

I like it. I've tried "famous maker's" angled alternative, "new age" substitutes, and CAA follow up (MGRIP1), and nothing feels as good to me (personally) as this one.

I'm not sure if it assists with speed reloads when secured right next to the magwell (it might with some re-training), but it's definitely not on the way. I will be playing with its position along the added rail.

I certainly don't care about hanging a boatload of "appliances" onto the handrail, but with Fuglystick's incredible versatility, such "danger" of overdoing exists.

Unrelated topic of AK safety lever (keeping it ON or keep switching it ON/OFF).

Not turning it into rant or blog, though...

Western World overlooks the fact that Soviets (and many Comblock allies) were (and still are) trained to ...run with safety off.

Basically, safety goes OFF and stays there until the exercise complete or threat alleviated.

Even more: combat patrol and CQ/urban search ops performed with finger on the trigger, and that applies to rifles (and MGs) and so the handguns.

Since this is being practiced from early days of Civic Defense and JROTC-like programs,"finger ON" is very natural to them, and accidental discharges are very rare, particularly among the "elite": Spetsnaz, Airborne, Naval Infantry and frontliners from MVD and FSB.

Para-military training was dropped as mandatory school program, but available to many as elective, and slowly gaining momentum.

However, I do NOT advocate adopting such "foreign" concept on the fly here, suddenly breaking the good and well established rule of "finger OFF".

Shared for "illustration purposes only".

P.S. Speaking of "illustrations":

gallery_28515_747_109958.jpg

gallery_28515_747_473714.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

Thanks for getting my picture in here Sgt Raven. That mag well grip thing looks interesting, i'm not sure if I could mount one far enought back on the quad rail I have on my rifle as the cross slots don't run all the way to the rear of the rail. If I find one in a local shop I'll carry the rifle in and see if I think it would be able to fit on there with some small mods or try and see what it feels like on another rifle. I have always felt kinda cramped up gripping the magwell with my long arms but didn't like the stretched all the way out feel of the super long grips way out the forend either. Might just end up getting another mako tpod grip when the funds allow.

• 3 weeks later...

Magpul MOE handguard (rifle length), modified to fit my AKAR-DA.

In prototype version, but functional state (do not call Magpul and ask for one).
(Magpul. how copy? Let's talk).
post-28515-0-91702300-1374187153_thumb.jpg
I am SGT Raven and I approve this message.
Edited by Sgt. Raven

The old one looked better, but whichever is lighter would be my preference.

I really like the ambi mag release buttons there, but they look like a reach for my hand.

Oh and thanks for your input on comps. You mentioned vids. Please throw those up on youtube spliced into a single vid. Sadly all I ever find is people who are hawking one or the other or worse "reviewers" who are sponsored and say good things about everything they touch.

Magpul MOE handguard (rifle length), modified to fit my AKAR-DA.

In prototype version, but functional state (do not call Magpul and ask for one).
(Magpul. how copy? Let's talk).
I am SGT Raven and I approve this message.

looks amazing and probably light howd did you do this?

Edited by smeeg

It is light; moreover, it's bit lighter than the Fuglystick (which was only 4 oz heavier that Saiga OEM handguard).

According to Magpul, its weight is 12.13 oz.

I rushed to make the "proof of concept" prototype and see if I like the feel and look of it.

I do.

There is plenty of work ahead: receiver adapter, front clam/lock/hinge (undecided on type) and gas tube clearance mods.

I can clearly see how Magpul could come out with AK style and rake a money from it.

Integrate AK receiver adapter, make top cover "slide in and lock up" at the front, cutout for the gas tube lever (which in its closed state holds top cover in place), and add tube snap-on U-springs.

I need to think and work on it a little longer, before I'll share the details with Community.

(Nothing to do with secrecy, etc; just don't want to embarrass myself by sharing the half-cooked project).

Therefore, Fuglystick is not going away anytime soon (if ever). I might even turn it into QD accessory and keep swapping the HGs, depending on task (varmint siege or zombie apocalypse, hehe).

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Keep it rolling.

Happy Shooting!

P.S. Crude comparison:

post-28515-0-54715500-1374228862_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

That looks interesting for a light weight handgaurd . Kinda suprised it was tall enough to go around the gas tube and barrel

Lower handguard still has some "room", but there is none at the top (cover).

Entire assembly has to be shifted up to make room between the top of the gas tube and (future) heat shield.

I hope to avoid pushing the lower handguard above the receiver's (bottom) edge.

post-28515-0-97090500-1374268434_thumb.jpg

Ideally, I want to make lower HG fully compatible with Saiga HG, utilizing the same pin mount upfront and same receiver screw.

I don't see the way, nor need for adding D-ring mount for AK platform for (hopefully) future Magpul design of AK version.

(Magpul, how copy?).

Comparison:

post-28515-0-42354900-1374418520_thumb.jpg

Open:

post-28515-0-58882400-1374418636_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

That looks interesting for a light weight handgaurd . Kinda suprised it was tall enough to go around the gas tube and barrel

Lower handguard still has some "room", but there is none at the top (cover).

Entire assembly has to be shifted up to make room between the top of the gas tube and (future) heat shield.

I hope to avoid pushing the lower handguard above the receiver's (bottom) edge.

attachicon.gifShift.jpg

Ideally, I want to make lower HG fully compatible with Saiga HG, utilizing the same pin mount upfront and same receiver screw.

I don't see the way, nor need for adding D-ring mount for AK platform for (hopefully) future Magpul design of AK version.

(Magpul, how copy?).

Comparison:

attachicon.gifMOE_HG.jpg

Open:

attachicon.gifMOE2s.jpg

So does it mount at lock up pretty solid? I would be really interested in this for my TAKD Bastard, how much modding did you have to do?

So does it mount at lock up pretty solid? I would be really interested in this for my TAKD Bastard, how much modding did you have to do?

No, sorry. Not yet.

All in the "proof of concept" stage.

However, there is nothing duct tape couldn't fix for a trip to the range, lol...

I trimmed the lower handguard's D-ring interface to fit flush into receiver.I need to open LHG more for it to come up higher up, as upper HG is too "shallow" to close with LHG, since it hangs on upper edge of the gas tube.

LHG will require matching adapter to interconnect the HG and receiver (picture Saiga's HG "tang" attached to the Magpul's lower HG, with threaded hole for Saiga's original screw (or 10-32 replacement).

I will fabricate the bracket first.

Next, both pieces (upper and lower) needs to be locked at the front. I'm thinking of slide-in insertable hinge. with notched channels on one piece and matching guides (protruding rivets or pins) on another half. Neah, will use standard AR handguard cap for now, likely secured to LHG.

At the moment, upper handguard is being kept in place at the rear gas block by gas tube locking lever (I cut out the opening, matching the rear gas block perimeter).

Therefore, don't hate me for releasing the "concept" picture of the product, which is NOT ready for the prime time.

I hope to generate Magpul's interest high enough for them to design the AK and Saiga versions.

In a mean time, I don't plan on waiting for their product, and will finalize my own. It won't preclude me form shelling out my hard earned pesos for their professionally executed product, when (and if) it will become available.

(Shooters, if you like the concept, let Magpul know about, and motivate them to come out with one. Contact them here: http://www.magpul.com/contactinfo.html).

Thanks for your interest,

Happy Shooting!

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Anymore progress on that moe handguard? I think the mid length on my projected build would be sexier than Megan fox even if she had normal toes!

Sorry, haven't touched it since last posting (therefore, was hiding under the rock ashamed and embarrassed).

Seriously: was in the overload mode; didn't get to it yet, but will restart next weekend.

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 1