Updated video of "AKAR-DA" in its final configuration.

Journey is almost over (and money ran out a long time ago, lol!).

It was quite a journey and great learning experience!

Thanks everyone for all support; without this Forum, Project AKAR would never materialize.

Few things will be added/changed, but nothing significant.

Minor updates will be posted occasionally, but your input, feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

God Bless America and our Freedom to Keep and Bear!

Let's cherish and protect it, and never forget the price paid, and all sacrifices made by generations of Patriots.

Support our Troops,

Airborne All The Way!

With crisp salute,

SGT. Raven

http://youtu.be/gPFMLZ1O-zg

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 1
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to the range and tested compensator/optics combo.   Recoil and muzzle jump are more of the .22-cal grade. I shot a video (need to compress from Blu-Ray; will post soon) and was watching it in

It would look great cut straight flush with the gas block IMO.   Excuse my terrible photoshop skills, but somewhat like this:

Yep... Similar interests indeed. Good Job Sgt Raven. Evolution is definitely a good name.     Here's my baby...          

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

thought id share we have similar interest.

saiga .223 16"

magpul ctr/vltor stock adapter

surplus ak sling

hogue ak grip

tapco g2

krebs ak rail with rear peep (expensive but awesome)

extended saftey tab (krebs style but do it yourself version)

chaos quad rail

magul moe rvg foregrip

cheap amazon offset light mount

4sevens quark turbo AA 205lumen flashlight

tech sights finer front sight post

weight unloaded 9.6lbs only downside

8955D59B-EFC4-42F9-BEC8-DB5C58B868E7-353

A28B6AB8-C387-4BC1-A817-E4F6FAB7E9B9-353

B4D21B1E-79CF-4A4F-B3C5-A0F7D7D79C8A-353

no the rails are not the same height

489D8887-F749-4021-B30D-0008645AE62A-353

D07BA78C-5CDF-4FF1-A478-77EAE66BCC99-353

Edited by smeeg

probably going to get the your same scope cmr 1x4 cant decide on a mount yet will probably go larue after i throw up over the price.

if you would like me to delete my post just let me know i don't mean to cluter yours just figured we have similar rifles kinda on the same thought pattern.

No way!

I welcome everyone's feedback and so the "illustrations", and considering it a "collaborative project".

I still need to catch up on few things, including safety lever upgrade, like you did.

I'm "growing" into the Leatherwood and so the MI mount.

The're both different and (must be my specific case, since I feel "spoiled" after years of limited options of service gear) requires some time adapting to.

More I think and look at other creative projects, more I realize: there is no end to this journey...

Happy Shooting!

LRBHO stress-test and training.

Brought 12 mags (USGI, PMAG and C-Products) to the range and loaded all up with 3 rounds of mixed ammo each (sorry, ammo is rare and expensive: got to watch my strategic reserve until it is replenished).

From bolt release to mag drop: not a single issue.

Controls runs smooth. I really like the feel of "step-machined" ("terraced"?) bolt release button: easy to feel with or without gloves, wet or dry. Sure deal!

No misfeeding or alignment issues. Feed ramp has identical prints.

Ordered new compensator; will install and test next week, bringing the camera along.

Will keep the "bird cage" for night time zombie attack and SHTF scenarios, but comp for tight follow up shots.

Happy Shooting!

The Definitive Arms AR mag adapter is the best design to date. I wish they would do something with the trigger guard as I feel it looks a little amatuerish having the original guard just tucked up under the adapter. It would be good if they integrated a trigger guard into the adapter and had it riveted in place.

Rifle looks great. The only thing I would change would be the handguard. For the AR style, CSS has the vented tube that would stop at the gas block and offers a much superior front mount as it no longer uses the gas block pin in any way.

Can you remove the top cover with the MI mount?

Thanks!

Speaking of handguard: you're not the first to criticise it, and thanks for suggesting an alternative.

This design is custom, and I asked Fuglystick for this length.

I still like it and it serves the function. I'm not in 3G (yet), but enjoy occasional 3G/IDPA style shoots, where I extend my grip all the way to the end of the HG (with bipod off). I plan to add hand stop at 45 degrees (?) on LHS, out of the bipod's way.

We'll see; I'm not excluding anything.

Speaking of the top cover (good question): NO.

I am unable to lift it enough to remove.

Thaknfully, QD sidemount takes a second or two to remove, if necessary.

Interesting thing about this MI design is, that once it fully unlocked, you can take it straight off to the side, WITHOUT sliding out.

Cam range is that wide, even in its tightest adjustment (but keeping it "finger-unlockable", without prying it out with some tool).

Happy Shooting!

Edited by Sgt. Raven
One more question. The CSS tube that you are using, is it solid? Or is it hollow?

It is machined hollow from the backside for weight reduction (I presume), but not not a buffer-tube hollow. Wall is quite thick (1/8" or thicker: I didn't put calipers on; let me know if you need precise G2). Front part (facing the adapter) is solid aluminum. It's sturdy. I didn't kick any doors yet, but smacked it few times and it didn't budge. Fits into receiver like a glove; no gap or movement before finishing tang screws. I used red threadlocker on all screws, including tube-to-adapter block on the bottom; I surprised there was no thread locker at all (blue or red).

Ill add to the arak fun haha here is my set up

More is merrier. Also, sharing DA's DNA makes us cousins or something, eh?

What kind of reflex is it on a top of your Ultimak?

Also, I like the look of MFT PG: I ordered it initially, but leadtime turned out to be 30 days, so I went with Hogue (again).

Might get MFT to give it a try.

Girls have shoes, fragrances and jewelry; boys (and shooting girls) have gun parts and accessories.

My choice of perfume: Hoppe's No.9 solvent. Slip2000 and Hoppe's Elite are for "facial" (cleaning and lube), but there is no aroma better than Hoppe's original. It's like a Chanel No 5, only in shooter's version.

Unless it's an "Airborne special": smell of jet fuel in the morning and gun smoke in the afternoon.

Good times!

P.S. I am ashamed to admit: I don't have any 20-rounders. I wonder how rifle look with shorter (and straigh) design on 20 rounds mag. I need to get some.

Edited by Sgt. Raven

Its a burris fastfire 3. Works great. Only issue was that my utilimak was semi loose... sighted it in... after about 200 rapid fire shots i tried to show off and shot way low and to the right. I tightened it up. Gunna try again and make sure its not the optic. Wish they would release a 308 already haha. But yeah dude im the jealousy of my gun buddies with that thing.. love the da work

Edited by cguiro

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="sapper1371usmc" data-cid="880846" data-time="1364255476"><p>

How well are the Fastfire 3 sights supposed to hold up to high heat. I know the RMR sights dont do to well with heat. Some mounting solutions even offer a heat shield when mounting one.</p></blockquote> i contacted burris and was told it shouldnt be an issue. Im gunna go a different route anyway. Not sure what yet

One more question. The CSS tube that you are using, is it solid? Or is it hollow?

It is machined hollow from the backside for weight reduction (I presume), but not not a buffer-tube hollow. Wall is quite thick (1/8" or thicker: I didn't put calipers on; let me know if you need precise G2). Front part (facing the adapter) is solid aluminum. It's sturdy. I didn't kick any doors yet, but smacked it few times and it didn't budge. Fits into receiver like a glove; no gap or movement before finishing tang screws. I used red threadlocker on all screws, including tube-to-adapter block on the bottom; I surprised there was no thread locker at all (blue or red).

Thanks. No exact measurements are needed. Just trying to picture how solid of a mounting point these tubes are. Your description gives a pretty clear indication of how tough they are.

The Definitive Arms AR mag adapter is the best design to date. I wish they would do something with the trigger guard as I feel it looks a little amatuerish having the original guard just tucked up under the adapter. It would be good if they integrated a trigger guard into the adapter and had it riveted in place.

Rifle looks great. The only thing I would change would be the handguard. For the AR style, CSS has the vented tube that would stop at the gas block and offers a much superior front mount as it no longer uses the gas block pin in any way.

I attempted to change the trigger guard on my DA rifle only to find the mag adapter gets in the way of using a guard that is bolted on in front of the trigger. It may be able to be done with some modifications to the trigger guard but I called it quits and put the original one back on.

I attempted to change the trigger guard on my DA rifle only to find the mag adapter gets in the way of using a guard that is bolted on in front of the trigger. It may be able to be done with some modifications to the trigger guard but I called it quits and put the original one back on.

Yeah. Thats why they should integrate a trigger guard into their design and rivet in place as well. Kinda like the BASTARD by Texas AK

thought id share we have similar interest.

Yep... Similar interests indeed. Good Job Sgt Raven. Evolution is definitely a good name.

Here's my baby...

When it's coming from a Master, I'll take it in a heartbeat and with appreciation.

After seeing images like those, I realize that my journey is far from over.

Superior looking looking rifle, Cobra 76 two!

And I LOVE the classic spin: CLEANING ROD IS IN PLACE, despite all the aftermarket improvements.

Love it!

• Like 1

post-28515-0-02992100-1364659599_thumb.jpg

New compensator works really well.

Need to compare it to late Miculek, which I feel does slightly better on lateral compensation.

I might be wrong, it's so close.

Caution: your range buddies on either side of you might "un-friend" you...

Video:

http://youtu.be/v5nR1gZmPeo

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • 4 weeks later...