30rd mags cumbersome

I am new to ak rifles. I have several ar's and find a 30rd ar mag to be long on that platform, but on an ak they are stupid long and a disadvantage if you go prone or even w/bipod. I bought twenty, ten, and 5rd mags for handier shooting. I couldn't imagine going to battle with a 40rd mag. When in military back in the 80s we used 20rdrs. 30rd mags are good for bumpfiring though.

For prone shooting, 10-round mags are great - since in double stack AK magazines, 5- and 10-round magazines are typically made with the same magazine bodies with different followers for the two capacities, you might as well enjoy the five additional rounds. I have a few custom 15-round magazines made by an old forum member that are perfect. The lowest protruding point on the magazine is about equal to the lowest point on the pistol grip. 30-round magazines were made for a rifle that would primarily be used from the standing position, an intermediate rifle capable of doing a mediocre job replacing a sub-machine gun, light machine gun, or auto-loading rifle. The dedicated light machine gun variant, the RPK, is the one for which 40-round magazines and 75- and 100-round drums were produced.

I am new to ak rifles. I have several ar's and find a 30rd ar mag to be long on that platform, but on an ak they are stupid long and a disadvantage if you go prone or even w/bipod. I bought twenty, ten, and 5rd mags for handier shooting. I couldn't imagine going to battle with a 40rd mag. When in military back in the 80s we used 20rdrs. 30rd mags are good for bumpfiring though.

The chances of you using your AK in a defensive situation for prone firing - with or without a bipod - are extremely low. Firepower counts for a lot; give me more of it.

By the way, I can fire prone with a 30 round magazine with no difficulty.

• Like 1

Get the tanker mags they are the best size for a semi auto weapon.

The 30s and 40s are due the weapon being designed as full auto selectable, the extra cap was needed there.

As for never needing to fire from a prone position, err wouldn't bet my life on that.

Standing up is like screaming "HEY SHOOT ME!" and as a bonus losing a lot of accuracy.

The 30s and 40s are due the weapon being designed as full auto selectable, the extra cap was needed there.

As for never needing to fire from a prone position, err wouldn't bet my life on that.

Standing up is like screaming "HEY SHOOT ME!" and as a bonus losing a lot of accuracy.

There you go, using common sense, logic and being practical again.

Practical? Hardly. It would almost certainly have to be a TEOTAWKI situation for civilians to have to use their rifle defensively in the prone position. The more likely scenario is dealing with home invaders, which will require standing and movement.

That said, again, I have no difficulty going prone with a 30 round mag.

Practical? Hardly. It would almost certainly have to be a TEOTAWKI situation for civilians to have to use their rifle defensively in the prone position. The more likely scenario is dealing with home invaders, which will require standing and movement.

That said, again, I have no difficulty going prone with a 30 round mag.

I completely understand, that 10 extra rounds in a mag is all that's needed to go prone, but if you only have 20 rounds you have to stand up. Sounds like something a politician would say, completely logical.

Having used long guns in tactical situations as an LEO (and military), I have some feelings on the topic:

AR or M1 Carbine 30s are about as long of a mag as is practical to use in a home/farm environment. I actually prefer 20s in the AR and 15s in the M1 Carbine. AK 30s are an absolute pain in a snatch and grab home PDW. I use a 10 rounder modified to 15 rounds in the Saiga. I keep a loaded 30 handy on the shelf with it for a reload to stuff in my waistband or back pocket. I also have have a Chinese type-81 5 cell shoulder bag full of 30s I could load up as a snatch and grab bag, if I felt the need.

Its probably more advantageous to use the 20 rounders you are talking about, but if you do happen to have a 30 in the gun and have to do prone shooting, you can lay the gun almost flat and use the charging handle as an aiming device (or so says former Spetsnaz Sonny Puzikas).

Shooting an AK sideways... "Prone gangsta style"?

Thanks for the replies. I enjoy shooting in the prone position and useally go prone to sight in a scope. Laying the rifle sideways is something I have not tried. Gives a new meaning to 'brass raining everywhere'. A hoodie would be welcomed attire.

For my Tobuk'd RPK, I have a 20rndr for a general purpose/starter mag(fits well in safe and ergonomic to move with), a couple 10rndrs for prone/sniper use, 12 30s and a couple 40s for raining hel. The 40s and the drums are useable if you're set up right, ie a defensive position, bunker, foxhole/trench or window sill. Esp if you're running with a frontal barrel mount bipod like the issued RPK, though my gasblock/forend bipod works well enough.

I have no problem shooting prone with the 30s as I just sit up on my elbows a bit. The 40s on the otherhand, are a bit of a stretch. Hence, emplacement use. The 20s do seem to be optimal for general use though.

Run with what works best for you, but it doesn't hurt to have a bit of variety as well.

Have fun.