223 reliability

If you want to make something 100% your own and don't intend to clone another rifle, go for a Saiga.

your rifle is a beaut. That is exactly what I want.

I don't have any experience but don't want to pay someone an arm and a leg to convert it...

only thing really difficult/tool intensive is the FSB and or Gasblock. everything else can be done in about 2 hrs

I have a 2002 EAA Saiga .223 using Surefire / SGM Tactical mags. 2000 rounds of Wolf, 300 rounds of Silver Bear, and 200 rounds of Lake City 5.56 NATO and not one failure of any kind. Not one! It eats all ammo I’ve fed it, and asks for more. I have found that it is much more accurate with 62 grain bullets. It doesn’t care for 55 grain. It eats the 55 just fine, but accuracy is poor.

• Like 2

Hello. I do not have my Saiga 223 yet, but will by end of summer. I want a hard core rifle in 223 that I can rely on. I do have a MINI 14 and love it a lot.

I see the Saiga 223 looks a lot like the MINI and I can tell you the AR snubs always talk BS about the MINI because the have to reassure themselves they are not stupid suckers for wasting a ton of cash when a MINI 14 or Saiga 223 would do them just as well.

Some just not man enough to fess up to their own mistakes.

The only real issue for .223 Saiga's, assuming a basic conversion moving the trigger group forward, add pistol grip and change butt stock and installing a bullet guide is the issue of magazines. Set the magazine issue aside and you have legendary AK ruggedness and reliability firing standard .223 ammo. If you want to use standard AK mags, there are few choices, and they typically require modifications to work. I elected to install an AR magwell adapter on mine and have 100% reliability using milspec and aftermarket AR mags.

I have two converted S223's. They are beasts and digest anything. Only issue I had was a single Galil mag sat too low and need a little work. I never even imagined issues with the action itself. Depending on which mags you prefer to use, some S223's take them readily, some with just a bullet guide, and others need some 'fitting' work.

• Like 1