A couple questions about welding and....

Been a lurker here for some time, and active at other sites. I've converted several Saigas in the past, but just recently got some new tools. I finally bought a drill press, really makes those holes easier to drill, and a wire welder (cheap HF thing). Here are my questions:

1) What kind of welders are you guys using to fill in the holes? Any special techniques? My skills lack (pics to follow)

2) After welding, what type of media blasting is the best to use?

Here's some I had help with, and did myself:

P1000707.jpg

P1000546.jpg

and this is the 1st that I tried to welf. Needless to say it didn't come out that great. Will a media blast and a refinish get rid of the wave or have I perma-foo'd this one? Maybe a park and finish?

011.jpg

007.jpg

sorry, my camera skills lack also....

I dont have an answer on what media to use.

On fixing the weld, clean VERY WELL, add some weld bead and regrind, Not all the way down to base metal, then file smooth.

How about some practice, drill holes in some scrap, put a penny under the hole, now fill the hole.

The weld wont stick or melt the penny and will allow you to fill the hole.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

what red said. it took me a few tries with some scrap. i have a small lincoln electric mig and found the a sweet spott in the heat/feed setting that worked well for the receiver. i ditched the penny and got a piece of copper bar.

Edited by smartbomb
  • 2 weeks later...

On fixing the weld, clean VERY WELL, add some weld bead and regrind, Not all the way down to base metal, then file smooth.

How about some practice, drill holes in some scrap, put a penny under the hole, now fill the hole.

I suggest a 1981 or older penny as the newer ones are easy to burn with a welder (guess how I know this). I have never used one as a heat sink, but if you hit one with a MIG it burns white hot.

I suggest a 1981 or older penny as the newer ones are easy to burn with a welder (guess how I know this). I have never used one as a heat sink, but if you hit one with a MIG it burns white hot.

while better than nothing, I don't believe a penny has enough mass to operate as a proper heat sink.

when filling receiver holes I have some bulk sections of brass and aluminum that are up to 3/8 inch thick. More than enough meat to absorb some heat and dissipate it.