• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cabela's has a very sensible model that you can follow to address those concerns. Loaded carry is good to go, with the explicit caveat that if you bring it in loaded, concealed or openly, it stays wh

Well, as long as you're okay with people being armed at home while they're browsing your website.

I went into a local shop after a range trip. I had packed up my pistols, but was still wearing my holster.....The FIRST thing the shop owner said to me was "Where is your pistol?" If you quake in yo

From my talks to shop owners and FFL holders while it won’t get you rave reviews on the forum the moneys made on the low end guns and trade ins with their mark up and re-sale. People will stop and gawk at the $15,000.00 Barrett 50 cal., but you’ll sell more of the Hi-Points and Kel-Tecs.

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 2

minimum 5 lane indoor range if you can do it.

have an annual membership option

try to get the a local p.d. or county sheriff's office in there for qualifying and/or training.......have a classroom available....

have classes for anything you can dream up or rent out the room and range for classes

see if you can get enough interest up for weekly matches of some kind......

pie plates, bowling pins, moving targets, Defense Matches, Silhouettes, .22 Rifle

have a Juniors program.......have a couples match.....have a womens night.......

the more people you get shooting, the more stuff they will want.

unless you are the only gun shop around, trying to make it on just sales will be a

rough road....

i.m.h.o.

addressing the loaded gun thing -

no. no loaded guns in my house, by visitors. period. end of story. lawsuit? im gonna TRUST you? no. unload that shit before you enter my place of business, thanks. oh, and im gonna check it, but YOU CAN HAVE IT RIGHT BACK sorry that puts folks off, but....but.....

the range? well, it would ideal to set up shop totally in the middle of nowhere, or where there are no ordnaces, but sometimes we cannot do that. so that is off. first thing i thought of, trust me.

besides, Im going to target a niche market, if i decide the numbers are in it......

if i start to get FFL checks while im out in the water here, im doing good.....

Edited by Ben Vampatella

addressing the loaded gun thing -

no. no loaded guns in my house, by visitors. period. end of story. lawsuit? im gonna TRUST you? no. unload that shit before you enter my place of business, thanks. oh, and im gonna check it, but YOU CAN HAVE IT RIGHT BACK sorry that puts folks off, but....but.....

Cabela's has a very sensible model that you can follow to address those concerns. Loaded carry is good to go, with the explicit caveat that if you bring it in loaded, concealed or openly, it stays where it is - in the holster/pocket. If you're bringing it in to trade or sell it, see if a holster fits, try out a scope, etc. it doesn't come in loaded and is checked when you enter.

If you intend to sell firearms, and deny your customers the right to carry them on your premises for self defense, you do not deserve success.

• Like 11

Don't trust your employees. I've seen two guys fail in the last two years down here because their employees screwed them over trying to make a quick buck. Also, it's best to hire family men/women. They are less prone to "want to" go to jail.

• Like 1

If you intend to sell firearms, and deny your customers the right to carry them on your premises for self defense, you do not deserve success.

I agree with this.

When I was working at a gun dealer, I had only two people bring in loaded and chambered firearms out of hundreds and hundreds of firearms (ETA - To Trade or Sell - We never asked about carry guns). It does happen, but someone that stupid probably has no business with that firearm and will likely sell it cheap so the problem typically solves itself. Your safety net is to properly treat all firearms as if they are loaded not trust the person without verifying for yourself.

If you plan on depriving the rights you are supposedly selling, and not just carefully dealing with potential stupidity, then I concur that you are in the wrong line of work and you should consider selling clothes, make-up and perfume and then ban anyone wearing your products from wearing them in your store.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 4

While it is your house and you can certainly set the rules by which the visitors are required to follow while there, there are entirely to many examples of Criminals ignoring the "Gun Free Zone" signs/laws and carrying their weapons into these places regardless, with intent to do harm to others and successfully doing so.

Gun Free Zones disarm only the law-abiding and it is foolish to think that Criminals give two shits about what a sign says.

I would also encourage you to go over to the opencarry.org website and take a look at the "Do not patronize" list of businesses that have no gun signs/rules and won't take them down. Businesses are added all the time to that list and they loose money, non-gun places may only loose a small and absorb-able percentage of what business they used to or could have gotten; gun businesses generally loose pretty big.

Lawsuits are a reasonable concern for any business and liability insurance is necessary to protect yourself, the NRA Business Alliance has insurance specifically for gun dealers http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/alliance.htm

I thought more about what sign I would have, something like "The legal carrying of loaded handguns is welcome here, however it will be considered an act of aggression should that gun be drawn from its holster and that aggression will be met with deadly force!"

A separate sign would say "Guns brought in for sale, trade, gun smithing service or for trying out accessories must be unloaded and in a case prior to entering and will be checked by a store employee."

A sign I do agree with having if you have a range is "NO DRAWING LOADED GUNS FROM HOLSTER ON THE RANGE!"

• Like 2

Keep the guns and ammo cheep, make your money on accessories like parts, mags, cleaning kits, slings etc... Reasonably priced transfers are a huge attraction for me. I tend to go to places where I can shoot my rifles and pistols. Local products are always a bonus. A reasonable priced gun smith would be good for repairs/ upgrades but outsource the specialty stuff like coating and serious machining. Rental guns for the range, targets and ammo (rental guns only use the ammo you sell), the range isn't a big money maker in of itself for most places but it draws people in and allows them to test fire before they buy. Good book keeping and origination are a most! The money is in turning over products, know your costumers and what they can afford.

If you are carrying into the shop, and do not have any intention of "accesorizing" your carry weapon, then why take it out or touch it, to begin with?

My big thing is a liability issue.

IF I go for this, its going to be a niche market for "smaller weapons", as I stated. and it will involve water.

I really dont need someone bringing in their new carry piece once every five years and having a oper failure.

the litigations and insurance are insane for that.

btw, I was going to work for cabela's at one point in my life, and I did have to memorize their policies as well. One of which was checking EVERY armed customer at the door, and safe ing the weapon, per the visit.

I dont give a rats ass if someone wants to carry into the shop, its if that piece comes out, when the "magic" can happen. and I fail to see why it should be on my dime, when it does.....

I dont mind walking you out, when you make a purchase. it is the "loaded gun with an idiot attached to it" that worries me.

..of the many live fire events i have been a part of, I have seen MANY accidents waiting to happen because of people that "knew their weapon".

Im sorry, Im just not going to TRUST them all with my life, or my customers lives. All it takes is one "oops" and thats it. end of the show.

FYI, this would extend to anyone in uniform, as well.

its an accident waiting to happen, and *I* am not gonna pay for it, sorry.

I hear the arguement, and the pluses to it, but it just isnt enough.

btw, there is a shop here already called "girls with guns". so thats out.

Im thinking "sink a boat Gun shop" actually.....or the like... ;)

If you are carrying into the shop, and do not have any intention of "accesorizing" your carry weapon, then why take it out or touch it, to begin with?

You don't. That's the point... If it's a carry weapon, it doesn't come out unless your life is endangered.

My big thing is a liability issue.

That is what liability insurance is for. Every retail business needs it.

btw, I was going to work for cabela's at one point in my life, and I did have to memorize their policies as well. One of which was checking EVERY armed customer at the door, and safe ing the weapon, per the visit.

Either you misremember, or their policies have changed. I regularly open carry at Cabela's per their corporate policy - if you are openly carrying a holstered weapon, they want you to stop by the gun-check stand at the front, at which time they ask if the weapon will be leaving the holster for any reason - the answer must be no, or they ask to clear the weapon before you enter.

I dont give a rats ass if someone wants to carry into the shop, its if that piece comes out, when the "magic" can happen. and I fail to see why it should be on my dime, when it does.....

I dont mind walking you out, when you make a purchase. it is the "loaded gun with an idiot attached to it" that worries me.

..of the many live fire events i have been a part of, I have seen MANY accidents waiting to happen because of people that "knew their weapon".

Im sorry, Im just not going to TRUST them all with my life, or my customers lives. All it takes is one "oops" and thats it. end of the show.

FYI, this would extend to anyone in uniform, as well.

its an accident waiting to happen, and *I* am not gonna pay for it, sorry.

I hear the arguement, and the pluses to it, but it just isnt enough.

I think you may be misunderstanding. You do not want people bringing in loaded weapons, openly or concealed, to show them off, trade/sell them, look for accessories, etc. You do want your responsible customers to know they may lawfully carry their weapons, so long as they are not removed from concealment or holstered carry.

I think it's pretty straightforward. If you think all people should be disarmed in your shop because some of them are irresponsible, you are using the same train of illogic used to support gun control legislation. If you really want to sell firearms to civilians, and you feel this way, you are a hypocrite.

• Like 2

wow. ok

I dont misremember what I was told at corporate for the job i refused. Im not going into detail, but you seem to be.

I still do not trust anyone in my house with a loaded concealed carry weapon, if they are going to take it out. its that damn simple.

I have been nearly shot a handful of times over the years by dumb asses, and Id hate to see it happen in a business setting, where MY ass is the one thats going to pay for it.

besides, there are people now that like to trip on your curb and sue you because they intentionally broke thier ankle on your property.

why would i care to want anyone like that in my door?

then you have the other "big" one, which noone would understand this if you werent sitting on a large weapons cache for sale to john Q public.....I really dont need to get shot and killed or robbed.

so it all eliminates all of that.

I guess the "no cell phone" policy is a no-go with ya'll as well?

its ok, Im going to do it my way, if I move forward and do it.

Im asking for advice, not to be told how to operate my shit.

keep your loaded gun in the car if you want to enter my place, because I will mistake you for someone angling on robbing me, or an idiot that is going to sue my ass when you put a bullet through your foot. ...

not really the advice i was looking for, since that aspect is already decided.

I Do like the idea of the milsurp stuff and ammo for it all. I had written than one off, but I can see the point to it, and agree.

I also have to disagree with YARP about selling "shit" guns. While you may not like a certain brand of "shit" gun, having a few of them to offer to those who may only be able to afford something in the range of the average Hi-Point is good customer service, be honest about the cheapo gun and do them right they may come back to buy higher end gun later. You certainly don't have to stock your shelves with "shit" guns though.

Yup. A lot of people who really need a gun don't have a lot of money. That's why they live in a crappy neigborhood where they really need a gun. A cheap used .38 special revolver that goes bang every time is a lot better for them than a Gen 4 Glock 19 that they can't afford. For that matter, .22 LR rounds have killed a lot of people and it's better to have any gun than no gun.

• Like 2

keep your loaded gun in the car if you want to enter my place, because I will mistake you for someone angling on robbing me, or an idiot that is going to sue my ass when you put a bullet through your foot. ...

So it's fine with you if people get robbed in your parking lot of the guns a robber knows they have and knows you made them unload?

Hell no, I'm not spending any money there. I moved out of Illinois to escape that kind of idiocy. In free america people don't put up with that.

• Like 1

I also have to disagree with YARP about selling "shit" guns. While you may not like a certain brand of "shit" gun, having a few of them to offer to those who may only be able to afford something in the range of the average Hi-Point is good customer service, be honest about the cheapo gun and do them right they may come back to buy higher end gun later. You certainly don't have to stock your shelves with "shit" guns though.

Disagree if you like but the truth of the matter is that if you decide to stock a brand then that brand usually requires that you either A.must purchase X amount of dollars worth of guns a year.

B.must keep a minimum amount in your display cases.

C.both

That equals more overhead AND having to maintain a certain amount of cash flow just for one brand. In business we call this a losing product. The market goes down (like it did on Hi-points and Kelt-Tecs for example) and you are now at a loss. These types of guns just don't hold value. The other thing your not thinking about is that just because you bought something for $175.00 and sell it for $200.00 That doesn't mean your walking away with $25.00 profit. There's alot more bills to cover then the none-business owner knows about, ask any vendor on here.

I never said don't keep a few used ones around to try out, there's just no point in having tons of new ones stocking the shelves and not moving. People like it and want one that bad he (or they) can buy one online and he can make money off a transfer fee......More then he'd make profit wise on a hi point. And more then likely get the customer a better deal. How's that for win/win for the guys who like cheap shit?!

then you have the other "big" one, which noone would understand this if you werent sitting on a large weapons cache for sale to john Q public.....I really dont need to get shot and killed or robbed.

Right... Preventing lawful carry will prevent you from getting robbed. Take another hit and pass the pipe.

• Like 3

Ben, you keep saying you don't want to pay for someone's accidental discharge. If you are going into the business of selling firearms and ammo, you are going to pay for it anyway. (Insurance). You are going to require Law Enforcement to clear their weapon before entering as well? Wow, good luck with the business. Advertise a great place for an armed robbery where even the cops can't stop it.

That aside, look into the manufacturers who have Military/LEO sales programs. Glock, S&W, and Berreta, to name a few. The buyer is getting the weapon at cost so the dealer doesn't make any profit but it gets people into the shop to spend more money on ammo and accessories. For example, I get my Glocks at least $100 cheaper than the other shops charge and I get an extra mag with the deal from Glock. He's the only one who has the Mil/LEO sales program in this area so he gets most of the business from the local Military and LEO. We have a large Military population in this area BTW. He doesn't carry much overhead on his Mil/LEO stock as they are ordered from the manufacturer on a completely separate order based on demand. He gathers requests and orders monthly. I second the comment on offering reasonable transfers for people who purchase something online, etc. Once again, it gets people into the shop.

• Like 1

Snappy's in Kalispell had a sign on the door stating that you should unload your weapon before entering the store.

Other shops did not.

They also kept personal records of sales which is risky and illegal.

They lost their asses to the competition and lost thousands of dollars a year from me. I'm positive I'm not the only one jaded by their bullshit.

If you can't handle open and concealed carry, get out of the business. You suck ass and enjoy double standards. You do not deserve your liberty.

• Like 5

Right... Preventing lawful carry will prevent you from getting robbed. Take another hit and pass the pipe.

knowing ben he probably drank himself into a stupor before making that post

Wow, it sounds like this is going to work out really well. I especially like the part about "no concealed carry in my gun store". Yeah, I'll bet people will be just streaming through the door. I believe read about that strategy in..."How to alienate 75% of your customer base in one easy step". 027.gif

• Like 4

I just don't understand you don't trust your customers to carry in the store because you feel they are too iresponsible to do so yet you are have no problem selling them guns ? I boycotted other stores for this and they were not even sporting good or gun shops I think you will loose a lot more customers than you think and once you loose them it's even harder to get them to come back.

• Like 1

So it's fine with you if people get robbed in your parking lot of the guns a robber knows they have and knows you made them unload?

Hell no, I'm not spending any money there. I moved out of Illinois to escape that kind of idiocy. In free america people don't put up with that.

why in hell is it my problem if someone takes your shit, wherever you CLAIM it happened?

you folks miss my point entirely.

I just don't understand you don't trust your customers to carry in the store because you feel they are too iresponsible to do so yet you are have no problem selling them guns ? I boycotted other stores for this and they were not even sporting good or gun shops I think you will loose a lot more customers than you think and once you loose them it's even harder to get them to come back.

its a liability, and i dont want loaded weapons in my shop. period.

its a liability, and i dont want loaded weapons in my shop. period.

That's nice. I've never actually been in a gun store where everyone who worked there wasn't armed. But I guess it's important to ensure that the armed robbers won't face any resistance when they line everyone up and shoot them in the head.

• Like 1

Well i like to live by one rule. If you dont trust me with a gun while buying a gun i can buy it some place else. I dont trust you either by the way. So well I guess we have come to an understanding.

btw stop trolling Ben....

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 4

Disagree if you like but the truth of the matter is that if you decide to stock a brand then that brand usually requires that you either A.must purchase X amount of dollars worth of guns a year.

B.must keep a minimum amount in your display cases.

C.both

That equals more overhead AND having to maintain a certain amount of cash flow just for one brand. In business we call this a losing product. The market goes down (like it did on Hi-points and Kelt-Tecs for example) and you are now at a loss. These types of guns just don't hold value. The other thing your not thinking about is that just because you bought something for $175.00 and sell it for $200.00 That doesn't mean your walking away with $25.00 profit. There's alot more bills to cover then the none-business owner knows about, ask any vendor on here.

I never said don't keep a few used ones around to try out, there's just no point in having tons of new ones stocking the shelves and not moving. People like it and want one that bad he (or they) can buy one online and he can make money off a transfer fee......More then he'd make profit wise on a hi point. And more then likely get the customer a better deal. How's that for win/win for the guys who like cheap shit?!

heh...I clearly said have a few in your store to offer, I never said he should become an authorized Hi-Point dealer that would require him to have tons of them in stock and taking up space in the case.

I still do not trust anyone in my house with a loaded concealed carry weapon, if they are going to take it out. its that damn simple.

I have been nearly shot a handful of times over the years by dumb asses, and Id hate to see it happen in a business setting, where MY ass is the one thats going to pay for it.

I still think you're setting yourself up for failure here, Ben, and I don't want to see a business fail due to poor management decisions that alienate the customers.

A nice big sign that says 'carrying a loaded weapon is fine, but I will assume you are trying to rob me and react accordingly if it clears the holster' sends a message, too.

One gun store I know of has a clearing barrel right at the door. I asked them about it, because I am used to seeing clearing barrels at the 'no loaded weapons beyond this point' location. The clerk said that it was just for someone bringing an uncased/unholstered firearm into the store, and said weapons are cleared in the presence of a clerk.

Besides, you will have to carry liability insurance, and your insurance is what pays for those idiots. Only a fool does not carry insurance when he's the Sole Proprietor (or Partner) in a business. I would strongly recommend setting the business up as some kind of limited-liability operation (Limited Liability Partnership or Corporation), simply to separate your personal assets from the businesses legally. That way, when something does go horribly wrong (like the previously-mentioned insurance-fraud specialists), your personal assets cannot be used to pay business creditors.

Note, I am not a lawyer, I am a business major. I've had to go through a few too many business law classes in college where we talked about these kinds of things.

so im supposed to insure my house for halfwitts? that is what you are saying?

i mean, its cool, if you REALLY have to carry in house, but....but...i just dont get it folks.....

you seriously wouldnt come into my shop if i prohibited loaded weapons? really?

what about if I had a hot slut in the corner to look at?

you seriously are not coming in my place of business with a loaded weapon, im sorry. not unless i know you first.

what if i was the only one with good tok ammo or the cheap 30-06 stuff? youd' still not come in? seriously?

Edited by Ben Vampatella