Front Bead Thread Size

Just purchased a Saiga 12 and ran it through its paces yesterday. Enjoyed it thoroughly. The only change that I would like to make is as follows:

Upgrade the front bead with a tritium or fiberoptic bead. The bead appears to be removable as it has wrench flats. Can someone help me with the thread size of the beads shank so I can order a properly fitting replacement? Thanks in advance, dusky233.

The 12 gauge Saiga's I have seen all have a riveted front sight, not a threaded one. My .410 had a threaded front sight. My experience is that, with the 12 gauge guns, you need to drill the front sight bead out and then tap the hole for whatever you want to use. it's a pretty big hole, you might need to fill it in some with weld or the like to be able to tap it for a more conventional bead. I was able to do an 8-40 brass bead in my .410 Saiga, just chased the existing thread with the 8-40 tap and it went in and thus far has stayed in fine. 8-40 is the largest bead Brownells has, to my shopping. Dunno if the hole for the Saiga 12 bead is too large to be tapped with that, or not.

• 4 weeks later...