Raise the Price of GlassBolt to $124.99 for even higher quality?

Okay, in

another thread I introduced ya'll to Pauly's Groovy Match Trigger lever refinements for improved high-end feel, superior trigger control & vastly improved ergonomics from the tapco G-2 FCG.

Here is a side by side comparison of the trigger lever modifications compared to a stock Tapco G-2's trigger lever;

011.jpg

So far nothing's been too good for Pauly's GlassBolt Reliability System and I've managed to keep the price at $99.99 shipped, including the FCG mods, the free gifts & Port Gauges/Cleaners throughout all quality advancements.

This is what people get for $99.99, shipped USPS overnight express mail (for single units) currently;

(Not pictured is the BHO which has the button dressed/rounded for comfort & reliability as well as the notch on the dog-ear added to prevent the BHO spring from slipping off)

SAM_2761.jpg

SAM_2773.jpg

SAM_2775.jpg

SAM_2784.jpg

Those are a random customer's pictures that he posted somewhere on his own. All GlassBolts are shipped out looking as good as any ad I'll ever make.

(That trigger bearing is something I include on request only and because it's not as long lasting as the tapco's split steel sleeve I only give it to people who want the smoothest Trigger out there & will watch it for wear. I've fired over 1000 rounds on one that I've been testing & it shows only minimal wear thus far, it's just not been long-term tested so I only include it on special request)

Up until now I've been able to eat the time from quality advancments because as I was refining Pauly's GlassBolt Reliability System to the point of being the best ever released, I was improving & speeding up my processes with the best industrial processes at the same time....

However, I'm now really in love with the feel of these new trigger refinements & can't imagine others wouldn't want them.

Thing is, doing a couple here & there means setting up my mill for every one I do if I do them one here & one there, then with the milling, shaping & polishing, then re-bluing if people want them blued, I'd have to charge around $40.00 just to do the lever refinements & I think that's kinda steep.

So pros;

If I included it with every GlassBolt, I could do it in sets & knock the price way down.

Also, it's such an improvement over the cheap boxy feel of a stock G-2, I can't see anybody not wanting it.

Cons;

It would have to bring my price for basic GlassBolt up over $99.99 & I really like having GlassBolt + FCG under a hundred bucks shipped.

Yes, it would still be cheaper than about anything out there, but the $100.00 mark is something I don't really want to break.

Kinda conflicted on this one....

sad.png

So thoughts on the topic from the forum? huh.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not everyone will want it - I think you'll scare away a lot of customers as soon as you break that $100 mark. Leaving it an expensive option may be your best bet.   Alternatively, you can invest a

If people want that one, go for it, but the TX AKs feel cheap in comparison.This feels like a old-school high end trigger as pictured, the Texas AK only comes in doublehook, so most people have Tapco

Pauly,   I like the 'Alla carte' option. Like you say many of us are on a budget, and we all have different needs/wants. The ability to get exactly what a fair prices is a GOOD thing!

Not everyone will want it - I think you'll scare away a lot of customers as soon as you break that $100 mark. Leaving it an expensive option may be your best bet.

Alternatively, you can invest a shitload of money in a second milling machine, and still offer it as an option for only $25 extra 021.gif

Yet another slightly different option - have you considered offering complete, polished, refined FCGs for sale? That way you can keep your glass bolt at its current price point, and offer a great FCG product at a reasonable price since you can set up the mill once per batch instead of once per unit.

If you did it this way, you might also be able to offer customers purchasing your glass bolt service the opportunity to essentially trade their FCG for a polished FCG ready to go for, say, $25 - and you can use the traded FCGs for your next batch of polished triggers, unless you feel they must be made from factory new FCG parts. If that is the case, you could offer the "recycled" polished FCGs at a slightly lower price than those made from new FCGs.

• Like 7

Being a business owner, and understanding overhead and basic operating costs, let alone maybe making a few bucks for your time, I think that 125 is well worth the quality of product I've seen you post and knowing how difficult it would be for the average Joe to produce something like the glass bolt.

I'd say rock it out!

• Like 1

im not a business owner and have no idea which is better but imo, I would think why not offer both???? If someone wants the stand alone service, charge your price. If they want an even better deal, then get the glass bolt/terminater trigger deal. Sounds good to me.

I dig the $99 price point you have set for the glass bolt. When I save up the cash, I definitely want to send my parts out for the service. On the other hand though, I don't really feel like I want or need work done to the trigger on my S12, so wouldn't really dig the service including that (Even if it is at a nice price). In my situaiton (unemployed and money is tight), when I get cash and can afford something at a specific price point I go for it.

I definitely say offer the service for the additional cost - while I wouldn't really want the service on my S12, I have a crunchy and downright nasty trigger on my .223 that will need some help! big_smile.gif

I really don't see much of a market in doing the whole trigger deal as a stock Texas AK trigger already incorporates the grooves. What would the major differences be?

If people want that one, go for it, but the TX AKs feel cheap in comparison.

This feels like a old-school high end trigger as pictured, the Texas AK only comes in doublehook, so most people have Tapco single hooks already and won't be re-purchasing FCGs. furthermore the TX-AK rides directly on the axis pin, so it will never feel as smooth as I can make a Tapco feel with disconnector spring pressure being taken up by the Tapco's sleeve which acts as a bearing.

Also, I profile hammers all day & have found Texas AK's steel is much softer than Tapco's as evidenced by how quickly the Texas AK's hammers go down when I'm profiling... I have to be careful with those for that reason.

Additionally, the corner of the Texas AK trigger is still going to be poking you in the finger when you fire from the hip because it's pointed & the angle that your finger when you hold the weapon at your hip..

That's uncomfortable to me.

011.jpg

The TX AK FCG was the best out there for the mix of ergonomics & sear height...

Until yesterday.......

:smoke:

• Like 4

I will admit that I am a very big fan of Pauly, and was before he through in the trigger mod to my glass bolting and piston install. Having said that, for $20 buck would you really want the Texas AK trigger over his Tapco mod? I mean REALLY??

I will admit that I am a very big fan of Pauly, and was before he through in the trigger mod to my glass bolting and piston install. Having said that, for $20 buck would you really want the Texas AK trigger over his Tapco mod? I mean REALLY??

For me, yes. I would be supporting a local business whose products I like. I'm capable of doing my own mods if needed. Wasn't going to respond to your post but since you capped " REALLY", I thought a reply was warranted.

Pauly does do good work.

For me, yes. I would be supporting a local business whose products I like. I'm capable of doing my own mods if needed. Wasn't going to respond to your post but since you capped " REALLY", I thought a reply was warranted.

Pauly does do good work.

Good for you for having the skill and equipment to do you own mods. I am just saying for those of us who do not live in Texas or have the where with all to do our own mods, then Pauly's trigger mod is hard to beat.

I think the improvement that the tapco makes in the trigger pull is impressive. Just how much improvement Pauly's modification makes will decide the worth of that modification. The rounding of the BHO tab is fine if it does not cause the bolt to be held so close to release that it releases with any "bump" that it receives when setting the gun down. I have this problem with another builders' rounding off of the BHO tab. This is a safety issue that should be checked by everyone when they get their gun back or reassemble their guns. I would be willing to try the mod because I do like to fire from the hip. I sure am looking forward to getting my glassbolt back.

Edited by blackknight135

I think the improvement that the tapco makes in the trigger pull is impressive. Just how much improvement Pauly's modification makes will decide the worth of that modification. The rounding of the BHO tab is fine if it does not cause the bolt to be held so close to release that it releases with any "bump" that it receives when setting the gun down. I have this problem with another builders' rounding off of the BHO tab. This is a safety issue that should be checked by everyone when they get their gun back or reassemble their guns. I would be willing to try the mod because I do like to fire from the hip. I sure am looking forward to getting my glassbolt back.

One word that will solve that problem:

Krebs.

Yikes, the poll is looking like its gonna be a 50/50 deal. Personally I am happy to pay 125 for the whole deal. And now that I know about the trigger work, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that all the other parts are silky smooth and the trigger is all sharp and nasty. Do it all, do it right. the next thing to smooth out would be the guides in the receiver in which the carrier rides.

I do agree that a core exchange+$ is a very good second option. That way, you can spend a day making a bucket load of triggers and just keeping them on hand.

Edited by AtlSaiga
  • Like 1

I agree with Shandlanos. You can make a batch of triggers for sale seperately and let people "trade" their FCG+$$ for the new one with the glass bolt service.

The problem with letting customers trade in used FCG, you never know how much wear they may have. Modding new FCG for sale may be a better idea.
  • Like 1

I agree with Shandlanos. You can make a batch of triggers for sale seperately and let people "trade" their FCG+$$ for the new one with the glass bolt service.

The problem with letting customers trade in used FCG, you never know how much wear they may have. Modding new FCG for sale may be a better idea.

Still on the fence... However, I do know exactly how much wear everything has.

I'm a freak when it comes to measuring everything as well as matching & testing every FCG set to it's carrier as well as ensuring/setting the disconnector to catch the hammers correctly, then I test to assure that as it's released from the disconnector, it's caught in the sear correctly.

I don't mess around when it comes to FCGs.

The rounding of the BHO tab is fine if it does not cause the bolt to be held so close to release that it releases with any "bump" that it receives when setting the gun down. I have this problem with another builders' rounding off of the BHO tab. This is a safety issue that should be checked by everyone when they get their gun back or reassemble their guns.

Not an issue with mine. smile.png

I'm only knocking off the corners & smoothening the button. I don't reduce the overall length more than about a hundredth of an inch or so, so that won't be an issue with how I do it.

I'm only doing it because the front most corner of the BHO button tends to stab me in the finger when I shoot at times.

That & it only takes a couple seconds.

• Like 1

Hi Pauly,

Love your work. It is definitely on my 'to do' list.. at $100, it's dumb that I haven't done it already -- just don't like putting my guns down. I like shooting too much :)

I voted to add it as an option, even if it costs a bit more.

Also, I'd add another way to look at this.. maybe you could buy a bunch of TAPCO FCG's and do them up front? Then you could just sell pre-worked FCGs? Maybe offer trade-in value for other folks stock FCGs? Just a thought.

• Like 1

Hi Pauly,

Love your work. It is definitely on my 'to do' list.. at $100, it's dumb that I haven't done it already -- just don't like putting my guns down. I like shooting too much smile.png

I voted to add it as an option, even if it costs a bit more.

Also, I'd add another way to look at this.. maybe you could buy a bunch of TAPCO FCG's and do them up front? Then you could just sell pre-worked FCGs? Maybe offer trade-in value for other folks stock FCGs? Just a thought.

Read above. Already been suggested.

It all depends on the customer, some people perceive 59.99 as being significantly less than 60; I always round up in my head when thinking on costs, but its easier for me to spend five twice than 10 once if you know what I mean. I would do as suggested by a couple others and keep the glass bolt the same and then offer trigger face profiling as a separate service or add on.

• Like 1

For me, the trigger work is already done mostly, so it is marginal. Logic may not be there, but $100 is an easier number to justify than 124. If it were a flat $130 for the current $99 package with a vertical handle, then I would be more likely to buy than the trigger work.

That is a higher selling point because I don't have the tools to do it myself, and I know many welders have trouble getting the metals to mate.