Raise the Price of GlassBolt to $124.99 for even higher quality?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not everyone will want it - I think you'll scare away a lot of customers as soon as you break that $100 mark. Leaving it an expensive option may be your best bet.   Alternatively, you can invest a

If people want that one, go for it, but the TX AKs feel cheap in comparison.This feels like a old-school high end trigger as pictured, the Texas AK only comes in doublehook, so most people have Tapco

Pauly,   I like the 'Alla carte' option. Like you say many of us are on a budget, and we all have different needs/wants. The ability to get exactly what a fair prices is a GOOD thing!

I've seen the work you've done, and will be contacting you to have mine done in time as well... I say charge whatever You want, people will still pay for it. The work is outstanding, and 25 extra will not break peoples budget for this kind of work.

I urge you to reconsider this kind of thinking in general. It isn't for any of us to decide what will, or will not, break someone else's budget for anything.

That said, I would pay the extra $25 - because a bit more money for a bit more bling is worth it to me. Some folks don't care about the bling; some want a smooth bolt and carrier for function and not chewing up the rounds. These folks probably aren't super concerned about the feel of the trigger on their scatterguns, either. So at $125 they are getting more of the stuff they don't really care about.

The guys that are fearful of taking a dremel to their bolt will pay it. At a nice price point like $100, some guys that aren't fearful of doing the work themselves would rather have a pro do it for such a great price, and get a little bling out of it to boot - like me. At $200, though - I'd man up and use that money to buy elbow grease instead of sending it off to Pauly. Other people's thresholds may be higher or lower than mine.. that all depends on their individual bank accounts - which we can't speak to.

Well, I'm leaning to doing it as an option. I've refined the setup process, so I think I can swing it for $25.00 for refined lever work as an addition.

The reason I'm so apprehensive about breaking the 99.99 mark is simply because the AK platform is the "common man's" gun.

There's a lot of people out there with S-12's that don't have much extra cash to spare, & basic GlassBolt is purely functional.

IceRack, the Vertical handles & the match-trigger lever are more optional by nature anyhow.

GlassBolt gets it running better, makes sure the BHO stays put & makes sure the trigger always operates how it should. Sure, I do a couple things to make the pull smoother, but the rest of what I do to make it smoother is actually done to ensure the mainspring resets the trigger reliably.

So, being as at any given time I have at least 30 sets in the shop & given the popularity of the mod right off the bat, I think I can just do runs of milling the triggers at once, then do the finishing work as I get to the sets...

That way I can still keep the price down.

I'll look into ordering bulk units & having them ready for sale in the future. If I were to do that I think I'd just have Greg at CSS stock them though. I don't have time for all the shipping & processing. That's what stores are for.

. If it were a flat $130 for the current $99 package with a vertical handle, then I would be more likely to buy than the trigger work.

That is a higher selling point because I don't have the tools to do it myself, and I know many welders have trouble getting the metals to mate.

I sure hope so...

And you are correct about particular processes needed to ensure proper fusion.

But that would be a whole day of work for free being as vertical handles take me a lot of time & I already have $30.00 invested into each Pauly's Piston & pay about the same for the Tromix Galils in bulk...

That being said, I do offer package prices..

For instance, GlassBolt + upturned charging handle mods go for $200.00 shipped, or GlassBolt + IceRack goes for $160.00 shipped & I throw the jeweling on the side in for free, or the full package, GlassBolt + IceRack + Upturned charger goes for $280.00 shipped.

I like to give deals. :)

• Like 2

Pauly,

I voted yes because of the excellent service that you have provided me in the past and the quality I received. Your services provide quality and reliabilty to a gun that has a variety of issues and we all should know by now that it takes a great deal of work to get most of these guns to perform to expected levels. You have two of mine and I know first hand your commitment to excellence. You have gone beyond my expectations in the past and wish you had been providing your services four years ago.

Whatever you decide I know the quality will be there but your service in my expericence is worth the price paid. I wish now I sent you my old trigger, you are always pushing your quality service to a higher plain.

Jack

I am capable of doing 75% of this work myself. I can polish and shape. Change contours and leave a nice finish. That last 25% though, well normally I'd call it good. But for $100... and I don't have to sit there with a dremel for hours... plus you're going to do a better job than I can. Makes your services worth it. So I'd say your price point still lures guys that can do this stuff themselves. The $25 for the trigger is also worth it.

I would still pay it. Expect a bcg/fcg in a month or so when I pick mine up.

I still voted as (optional service) because consumers like options. Pitch the package but let hem.do the basic service if they want.

Your level of meticulousness is what draws me in. I think you value the correctness of the parts more than the owners at times. And is why your service is worth the $.

Edited by Asmodeus
  • Like 1

As a business owner myself, and knowing how much a price hike affects sales, I'd say keep the glass bolt as-is for $99. Offer the upgrade for $25 more. Then also offer the grooved trigger for sale as a stand alone piece. You can crank out batches and sell both the service and the trigger alone.

Don't do trade ins on the triggers. You never know what has happened to an item in another person's hands. It could have been annealed for all you know. Unless you plan on checking every piece with a micrometer, checking rockwell hardness, and magnafluxing every trigger you take as a trade, you can't guarantee that you are passing on quality parts to your customers.

Also, I see wiggle room in your shipping policy. Its great to offer overnight shipping built right into the price, but if you slow that down to priority mail, you can ship those items for ~$5. Do offer overnight shipping as an option, but for a higher price. If they MUST have the part the very next day, they'll be willing to toss a few extra bucks at it. In the end, 2 or 3 day shipping is still pretty quick, but for a third of the price and that would allow you to either take your price down a tad or make up some lost profit/time from the extras you already throw in. Its an easy way to cut a little overhead. Not everyone needs parts overnighted!

Also, from a do it yourself customer standpoint.. I am currently doing all my own cleaning, polishing, rounding, and functional mods. But I find myself looking at the face of the trigger, longing for a higher quality piece. The trigger face is just flat out ugly and horrible, and I don't have a mill to fix that. So while I might not be a glassbolt customer, I may very well be a modded trigger customer!

Edited by phyregod
  • Like 1

I'm sitting here, with a brand-new, never installed, G2 in hand, waiting for an answer...

Yeah, sorry Brother, don't get to the forum as much as before, just trying to pound out pieces from a recent big "the weather went to shit, so time to send my parts in" rush.

I'll send you a PM.

I think I read somewhere... But noticed that you don't advertise this Pauly. But does your GlassBolt Reliability System also add "Rock "n" Lock" to the Saiga? Or is that something else you can add?

Thats huge, very huge imo...

Yes, it eases rock & lock greatly. As much as any bolt mod out there & more than many, but that's simply a side benefit so I don't actively advertise it.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really need to put a Franklin aside and get my bolt slicked by Pauly... amazing.gif That didn't sound right, could be taken out of context! haha.gif

ETA: And this Spam was my 3000th post!

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I think you should raise the price, anyway. It seems that the demand for your Glassbolt service is so high, that you are having a problem getting orders out in a timely manner. I would gladly pay $124.99 for just your standard Glassbolt service, if it would expedite the turnaround time. Of coures, if you wanted to throw-in a trigger job, I'll be an even happier camper/shooter big_smile.gif

• Like 1

Pauly, I want to thank you for coming aboard this forum, and offering your services! I just thought I wanted it, but when my wife say your video and pics of your work, she INSISTS that I get it done, something about it "being too pretty not to do". Well, as soon as the funds are saved, you'll have an order from me...err, my wife. LOL

OH and will definitely get the trigger job also.

Edited by unclejake

Another option may be to switch the milling machine once a month and do a batch of whatever it's set up for that month, then switch it over again next month and do all your orders for that type.

I've never touched a milling machine so idk what it takes and It would probably depend on your volume of work as well. Just throwing it out there.

Edited by N2OJoe

I think you should raise the price, anyway. It seems that the demand for your Glassbolt service is so high, that you are having a problem getting orders out in a timely manner. I would gladly pay $124.99 for just your standard Glassbolt service, if it would expedite the turnaround time.

Unfortunately I'm going to very soon. Within the next couple months

It'll be $129.99 for basic GlassBolt for the first jump. (with the amount of work, at industry rates it really should be around $250.00)

Icerack & Chargers will raise as well.

I've been giving my work away to establish myself & motivate myself to improve my process, but those goals are met.

I cannot continue at this rate & I cannot find reliable assistants.

After a year & a half of working myself to death to keep up, this is getting old.

• Like 1

Don't burn out or let your quality slip. Raising the price is the right thing to do.

One of these days when I get around to converting my other S12 I look forward to sending you some $$$.

Hang in there.

Pauly: When you come to the realization that what you do has value it will not be difficult to raise the price. And to $130 is reasonable. When I started out I was giving my work away too. Consider what your hourly rate is then how long to get the job done and bingo that is what is costs.

just got my first Saiga shotgun today. Two actually, but one's going to sit in a box until I think the prices go up enough to be worth selling again lol.

Anyway . . . what's the lead time on getting this done to my parts? And, I've used Arsenal triggers in my rifles so far, would it be better to go with a G2 in the shotgun?

Just wanted to say that even though I only had my trigger done, I love it. It really makes the weapon feel at least five times better while shooting. People don't realize it, but just about everything has a grooved trigger and when you fire a weapon without a grooved it just doesn't feel right and you can't quite put your finger on why... (I'll be here all week, tip your servers, folks!). With the grooved and rounded trigger, it feels more natural and really makes the weapon a joy to shoot. I'm contemplating sending in my other G2 for the same work...

• 3 months later...

Being a business owner, and understanding overhead and basic operating costs, let alone maybe making a few bucks for your time, I think that 125 is well worth the quality of product I've seen you post and knowing how difficult it would be for the average Joe to produce something like the glass bolt.

I'd say rock it out!

Agree with what he said!

I think you should raise the price, anyway. It seems that the demand for your Glassbolt service is so high, that you are having a problem getting orders out in a timely manner. I would gladly pay $124.99 for just your standard Glassbolt service, if it would expedite the turnaround time.

Unfortunately I'm going to very soon. Within the next couple months

It'll be $129.99 for basic GlassBolt for the first jump. (with the amount of work, at industry rates it really should be around $250.00)

Icerack & Chargers will raise as well.

I've been giving my work away to establish myself & motivate myself to improve my process, but those goals are met.

I cannot continue at this rate & I cannot find reliable assistants.

After a year & a half of working myself to death to keep up, this is getting old.

I have had to raise my prices several times over the last 10 years. I don't think raising it would be a huge deter-ant. There will be a cusp line where the *price* is not worth it but I honestly think under the $150 line might be the magic number.

Look, certain people *might* claim to be able to do it themselves and there will be a price where they would rather do that but I think at $135 you would not lose a single customer! Especially when you cover shipping also!

I am going to send mine into you and I have no problem paying you that. :)

Heck, truth be told, that is not even the cost of one dinner for me, the wife and our two children!

I honestly feel we should support small business as a country and wish the best for people and if that includes you making a much more comfortable living or being able to hire slightly more qualified employees because you are getting an extra $35 then I'm in!