My newest shotgun.

I received a generous Christmas Bonus from my employer yesterday and went straight to the the store.

Mossy500 Field & Deer combo, with dual comb.

28" VR, dual bead, ported smoothbore, came with 3 accu-chokes, skeet/mod/full.

100_0418.jpg

24" cantilever scope mount, ported & rifled

100_0419.jpg

I have the Mossy500 18.5" Security barrel on the way.

This will now be my 'Jack of All Trades', and bedside boom stick.

I've had concerns about the worst case scenario happening, and losing my S12 to a police evidence locker.

Don't want that, now do we.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 5

I got a good bonus yesterday also I have been woudering what to buy I told the wife I got $150 bonus when I actually got a extra 40 hrs for a bonus so I got $600 more than I told her I am thinking about puting it away incase the veprs come into the country this coming year.

• Like 1

I got a good bonus yesterday also I have been woudering what to buy I told the wife I got $150 bonus when I actually got a extra 40 hrs for a bonus so I got $600 more than I told her I am thinking about puting it away incase the veprs come into the country this coming year.

Hmmmmm, $600. mad money.

Vepr-12s making back into the US could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

$600 equals a nice Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with multiple barrels and a bunch of ammo or custom accessories.

Or a Mossberg 590A1 SPX, or a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U, or a Remington 700 SPS or other 700 model.

Man I could do any one of those with $600. ... Hmmmmmm... I'd go with the Rem 700.

I actually seriously thought about selling my S.308-ver.21 the other day to finance one, but common sense prevailed and I'll wait for the right time.

Edited by ChileRelleno

or a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U,

Save your money on that one, unless you want a disposable gun.

ORLY? I had read some good/bad reviews, more good than bad, and checked one out at the store, seemed decent.

What ya know or what ya read, please share as a entry level O/U is on my short list.

i love pump actions. i have 3 mossy's and one 870. i like the internal design on the mossbergs over the 870. but both are great weapons. i have one of the same models you do chille. i found that on my 2 500's, i took a light file to the shell stop and interupter and the elevator and it made a world of difference in the smoothness of the action. i didnt have to do it to the 590a1 though. wasnt enough burrs on the parts to have it a bit gritty. nice score!!!

The only thing about I dont like is that you have a hard time getting a larger tube mag for it.

The Rem and Win you can buy tube extenders.

I have a Moss 500 and a Win 1200 and love them both.

The Moss is for bird, the Win is HD.

Looks good with it's new 18.5" Security barrel, probably going to put a Meprolight Tru-Dot front sight on it.

Mossy50012g18inch.jpg

Am I losing it or did you change out your cheekrest? If so was that a standard option with the 500 that you picked up? I've seen those cheek pieces before but never on a brand new shotgun.

Bullseyeboy-

The only thing about I dont like is that you have a hard time getting a larger tube mag for it.

The Rem and Win you can buy tube extenders.

Extending the tube is easy enough.

Granted it cost more money than the Rem/Win, since one must buy a new extended tube/barrel combo.

SPECS: Barrel - Steel, blued finish. 20” (51cm) long. Smoothbore, fixed cylinder choke with rifle sights. 2¾” & 3” magnum 12 gauge. Extension Tube - Steel, blued finish, 8-round capacity. Magazine Spring - Piano wire, extended length. Kit fits Mossberg 500, 12 gauge receivers only.

http://www.brownells...ITY-SHOTGUN-KIT

Mossy50012g18inch.jpg

100_0418.jpg

100_0419.jpg

Am I losing it or did you change out your cheekrest? If so was that a standard option with the 500 that you picked up? I've seen those cheek pieces before but never on a brand new shotgun.

Bullseyeboy-

Nah, I heard ya'd already lost it. tongue.png

Dual combs are standard on the 'Field & Deer' model.

Scope sits kind'a high on the cantilever mount, so the high comb is really nice for the ergonomics.

Man, I'm loving this shottie already... Three shotguns in one.

Had it out at the range Monday, shot some clays and did a little patterning.

Didn't pack the slug barrel along with, so that'll wait till next time, as will the patterning the 18.5" Security barrel.

Edited by ChileRelleno

i love pump actions. i have 3 mossy's and one 870. i like the internal design on the mossbergs over the 870. but both are great weapons. i have one of the same models you do chille. i found that on my 2 500's, i took a light file to the shell stop and interupter and the elevator and it made a world of difference in the smoothness of the action. i didnt have to do it to the 590a1 though. wasnt enough burrs on the parts to have it a bit gritty. nice score!!!

Yep, I love pumps too, and I have a soft spot for SxS with working hammers/double triggers... I really want another of the latter.

Do you have pics of the parts and the areas on them that you deburred?

yes i do bud.

1031802.jpg

these are the action arms.

10317981.jpg

this is the interupter.

with the action arms. i file the edges on all four sides very minorly. not much. it doesnt take much but a dremel to this area on all four sides will help with the friction when it gets worked inside the receiver. and if you notice, its shaped kinda fucked up. just dont take too much metal off and you'll be fine.

after taking a fine file to the action arms after the dremel work, youll notice a smoother action response within the receiver. not as gritty as it once was. at least to me.

now for the interupter. on the portion that will make contact with the cartridges, you want to smooth out the portion that will have contact area. this will vary on shotgun but makes a smoother overall action. with most that ive done this too. the shells have less damage and seem to extract with better ease. again, if you dont have acess to a dremel, then a small file will work wonders for your current piece. you dont want to take too much metal off but just enough to were its not ruff with the touch of a finger. just smooth out the edges til their not so ruff and you should notice a small but better smoothability, so to speak, with the overall action of the gun. then just re-assemble and give a good lube and work it a few times and you should be able to tell a better overall action response with the shotgun.

you could further polish the bolt carrier but thats preference. id leave the bolt alone, but the carrier could be done on the edges that make contact with the internal portion of the reciever for further smoothness. it may seem minor but i found that this helps wonders instead of the normal break in period of about 100-150 rounds of cycling.

and for the cartridge stop, the other flat metla piece that doesnt have a spot for the reciever, i never had one that was ruff. they have all been smooth and clean cut. id leave them the way they come.

and i dont have acess to anything that i could use for the reciever to file any potential burrs inside it. such as the action arm recess and other areas of interest that may slow or make action sluggish.

after doing such just lube and work accordingly and i think youll find it to a tad better than what it was when you first brough it home. at least i have. i hope this helps not just you chille, but others who have one as well. if you need better pics, let me know.

edit:

1031801.jpg[/url]

ImageShack.us[/url]

i forgot to add, that with the elevator, the same applies. smooth out all areas that will have contact with the internal portion of the reciever. some friction and contact will occur when working the action. dont worry about complete polishing as about 30% of the elevator will never see contact with other metal areas. just he important ones. every little bit counts brotha! hope it helps ya.

Edited by Captain Hero

and for a side by side,i love them too! i have one thats internal hammers and i love it. old ass crecent. sometimes old school is better than all this fancy tech. im glad to see you ended up with a good score!

Jury friendly... Nice.

Yes'sir! That it is.

Though here in Alabama I'm not too worried about that, we've a good Castle Doctrine.

So in a justified SD shooting the chance of a Civil Lawsuit is about ZERO.

But lets ponder the 0.01%.

Do we want the Jury to see this?

Mossy50012g18inch.jpg

Or do we want the Jury to see this? Of course this would normally have a factory five in it.

S12withChaosTriRail.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno

nothing is worth my life, but lets face it, if we ever go to trial over a self defense shooting, then there is already a doubt that it was justified to begin with. im willing to lose any of my guns if i have to. they can always be replaced. my loved ones cant.

but i do hate to lose a nice weapon....but its not permanent. you will get them back once the investigation is over with, so long as it was justified.
Edited by Captain Hero

I could care less, I have 3 S-12s and I'm more than willing to buy another.

None of them are worth my life.

Yes, yes, yes... But choice is a wonderful thing.

What do I want to risk losing to evidence, what do I want a jury to see, what kills the scumbag just as good as the other?

Yep, I love pumps too, and I have a soft spot for SxS with working hammers/double triggers... I really want another of the latter.

Stoeger Coach gun, for the cheap. I'm torn between getting a Coach or their O/U.

I know the real answer is "both", so let's change that question to "SXS or O/U first?"

• 4 weeks later...

UPGRADES! Yeah baby, scored another bonus and did some shopping.

Meprolight Tritium Tru-Dot to go on the 18.5" Security barrel.

http://www.brownells...Dot-Night-Sight

Vang Comp oversized safety button.

http://www.brownells...versized-Safety

Orange anodized aluminum mag follower.

http://www.brownells...m-Orange-12-Ga-

Next up.

Replace the polymer trigger/trigger guard assembly with a aluminum assembly.

A barrel clamp witha section of picatinny rail to mount a TLR-1 to.

And a TLR-1 to put on it.

I also shipped my XD9's slide off today, having the new Trijicon HD nights sights installed.

I've wanted night sights since I bought it, finally! I got the yellow.

http://www.trijicon....ct1.php?id=HDNS

Edited by ChileRelleno

UPGRADES! They arrived today and I installed them.

Meprolight Tritium Tru-Dot to go on the 18.5" Security barrel.

http://www.brownells...Dot-Night-Sight

Had to make a shim in order to get it to index, bit of a PITA.

But once done it is very satisfactory, nice white dot in full light and bright green in low/dark light.

Get one!

Vang Comp oversized safety button.

http://www.brownells...versized-Safety

Like it alot... Easy to install, looks and feels good.

Get one!

Orange anodized aluminum mag follower.

http://www.brownells...m-Orange-12-Ga-

Meh... I was hoping it would be brighter/glossier than pictured, but it was almost exactly as pictured.

A bit of buyers remorse, wish it was cheaper, but I'm satisfied overall.

Could live without it.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Pics of mods listed above.

Meprolight Tru-Dot tritium night sight, you can clearly see the shim I had to make in order to index it.

M500mod1trudot.jpg

Vang Comp Oversized Aluminum Safety Button

m500mod3oversizedalumsafety.jpg

Brownells High-Vis Orange Aluminum magazine follower.

m500mod2highvisfollower.jpg

I also have a heat shield on the way for the 18.5" barrel.

Edited by ChileRelleno

im glad your mepro front sight worked out. i tried putting one on my 20" pain barrell, and i couldnt get it tight and line up striat. i was pissed cuz it would have been sweet. so i put the bead back on it and said fuck it. they do work on the vented ribbed barrels though.

i like your setup. looks good!

Edited by Captain Hero