YAPCQ (Yet More Parts Count Questions)

OK, does antbody know the answer to this one: I'm going to move the trigger forward on my Saiga 308 and swap the existing Monte Carlo stock an imported thumbhole stock from an SA-85. That's all, no hig-cap conversion, etc.

1) Do I need to make the rifle 922® complient?

2) How many parts does the imported thumbhole stock get counted as: One (buttstock) or two (buttstock & pistol grip)?

thanks in advance,

Larry

1) YES

2) I belive the ATF ruled that it is one part

Ok, I keep getting conflicting answers . . . I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I am trying to get this straight:

1) Why would adding a thumbhole stock to a low-cap Saiga result in a rifle that's any different (legally speaking) then a low-cap thumbhole WASR? Is it because where a few hi-cap Saiga mags sold?

2) Some folks keep insisting that it's two parts. Do you know of any ATF reference letters posted on this subject?

thanks again,

Larry

Practicaly speaking, yeah you should be abel to have the thumb hole stock count for 2 parts, but LEGALY speaking you cant.

i dont know much about the 308's but with my 7.62 i was able to keep my original but stock (or any forgin stock) by getting my fcg from tapco. i dont know if the 308 uses the same fcg as the 7.62 (but some one here im sure does, they will stear you stright) but they had a deal where if you buy a pg and fcg they throw in a free us made gas piston, which is a total of 5 parts. agian im not sure if any of these parts are compatable with the 308.

They all fit the .308. Just be carefull to get the gas piston that is full length, and measure to keep the length the same with the new piston in the boltcarrier as the origional.

G O B

P.S. The number of U.S. parts is IRRELEVANT! The rule says "no more than 10 FORIGN parts" They do not count U.S. parts, only the forign ones.

Edited by G O B

The ATF recently (w/i past few months) ruled that a thumbholed stock is not a configuration for sporting purposes. ie, it is too close to a pistol grip that it would make a non-domestic (992r) Saiga non-sporting.

Therefore, if you use an American made thumbholed stock and meet all other 922r requirements, you'll be fine.

Don't have the reference w/ me, but the topic came up in the forum several months ago.

Edited by jimmbswu