Dented empty shells

• 3 weeks later...

You will be FL sizing anyway. Just reload them and chuck anything that worries you too much. I use range pickup brass for my Saiga along with stuff hat is out of my specs for my bolt guns and precision rifles, I have a "pool" of brass dedicated for "down and dirty" reloads....

Well I haven't tinkered with extraction problems on an AK but I've done a bit with pistols. Right now you have an AK that is performing within Russian mil spec. I'm not a big fan of buffers, but I'd try a buffer or an increased strength recoil spring first. The other two solutions are ugly and one is real tedious. I personally wouldn't try them and only present them for amusement.

I remember back in the day reading about guys who were building their own receivers, they would trim down the ejector portion on the rail and then when they got it installed it would be too short, they'd either have to take the rail off and start over again or they would get the end of the ejector TIG welded and start a tedious grind, file, and stone to get things working. The other option is to cut more clearance in the dust cover, uhh....that could get ugly.

Edited by toadold

...SNIP... Watch what that poor casing goes through.

Thanks! That video was educational. As I guessed the empty is hitting the dust cover. That explains why all the empties wind up in front of the firing line too. Based on that, it doesn't look like a buffer will help.

Edited by leadchucker

What some of the guys on another forum have done for a buffer is get door edge trim for a car(the little C-channel looking stuff) and put a small piece on the top cover. Most say it solved the side ding, but the case neck stil gets a "love tap" on the front trunion.