Gas Tube for upper AK furniture on my 7.62?

• 2 weeks later...

Any standard length AKM tube will work - Polish, Bulgarian, Russian, Romanian, etc. Note that Hungarian tubes are slightly shorter.

APEX did and still should have unissued Polish AKM tubes. These are unfitted and so are really the best bet for a Saiga, since you you can file the catch face to fit as tightly as possible. The finish also matches very closely to the factory Saiga finish.

A number of people use AK-47 tubes here. Personally I don't think they look right on a Saiga because of the vent holes, but if they work that's more important than anything else.

Edited by mancat

For $30, the deal at APEX is not great. Spend a bit more for the new Russian gas tube that K-Var stocks, the same one they put on their SGLs:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17636&cat=293&page=1

It will fit without any filing, will have a spring pin to prevent movement, and will not be overtight. I don't think it's desirable to super tight fit, for accuracy's sake.

I hear you, Mr Jim...

But it was $20 for the Polish tube and I like knowing that the tube is fit to my rifle.... and knowing that I can fit it to my rifle... :)

I will probably loosen mine a bit after I do the FSB and gas block after seeing how everything lines up.

To the OP: Take Jim's advise if you don't feel comfortable fitting the Polish tube.

later

rich

• 4 weeks later...

I changed my tune on the gas tube after trying on the one that was included in my Bulgarian '74 parts kit. With the tension spring, I didn't have to fit the tube to the rifle at all - it just worked. This also means that the tube will stay tight, even when the rifle has heated up after long range sessions.

So now I would say that Jim is right.

Polish tube is still a great choice if you're having trouble finding a Russian/Bulgy '74 tube in good shape.

Edited by mancat