Saiga 12 Gas Block

Greetings gentlemen, first time poster here. I've been keeping up to date on these forums for the past year ever since I made the wonderfully life changing decision to purchase a 16" Saiga 12g. It warms me up knowing there is a place for Saiga lovers to commune.

I am a Saiga owner on a budget, so my conversion and custom work has been done by my hands. A few months ago, I decided I wanted to put the HK style sights onto my shotgun. I personally don't have a lot of experience behind a welder, but my father does. I questioned him about the different preferred methods of welding the sight on (TIG and Silver Soldering), all he knew was MIG welding. I knew it could be done with MIG, but it took greater skill to make it look professional.

Long story short, my father screwed up the threads inside of the gas block. He felt terrible about it, and the same day we drove to a local dealer and he bought me a brand new Saiga 12. Now he wants to repair my old shotgun. So my dilemma right now is I'm having trouble finding a dealer or importer that sells spare parts. I emailed four different importers three weeks ago, and haven't gotten a response back.

So is there anyone that can help me out in finding a spare gas block?

Edited by Rommel88mm

I got lucky and found one on Gunbroker or if you can find some one parting a gun out there were one or two being parted out recently but I dont know if the GB are gone or not. Good luck.

PM Vermont he may have one.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/72445-s12-parts-including-bolt-carrier-and-more/

Edited by SCHULTZE

Can you post pics of the threads in the gas block? Did the weld penetrate through to the threads? You might be able to run a tap down the threads and fix it.

+1 ..... if you can find the correct tap.

My understanding is that the thread for the gas plug is M22 x 1.0. You can find taps in this thread on ebay, and probably other places. I can't believe the block is beyond repair. No one currently imports spare parts for the Saiga 12 shotguns. Finding a gas block is going to be hard. It makes much more sense to fix/rework the one you already have.

BTW, does your gun have a 16" barrel for real? Are you in the USA? In the USA, unless registered as a short barreled shotgun, the barrel needs to be at least 18 inches. And if it is registered, why not cut the barrel down further?

My mistake, I was in a rush to type the original post before I had to leave for work. It's actually a 19incher.

As for the actual gas block, I don't believe the weld penetrated through to the threads. It looks like a globule of weld went down two sides of the threads. I will post pictures tomorrow of the damage.

My father actually went ahead and tried to do this for me on his own as a "surprise". In the pictures that I will post, I believe he had the front HK sight too close to the end of the Gas Block. I don't think he would have damaged it if it would have been a half inch further from the edge. Then, after he noticed the damage he tried to dremel down the globules past the threading so he could at least try to screw the gas plug in. I don't know if him dremeling it has completely blew up any chances of fixing the damn thing.

If it is FUBAR, we threw around the idea of just welding a small round metal plate on the end of the gas block to seal it up. I suppose all he really expects out of it is a semi functioning self-defense shotgun. Not even mentioning what damage that would cause to the back of the truinon, but would that option even work?

Edited by Rommel88mm

If he got carried away with the Dremel and compromised the regulator's ability to seal, but it will still thread in, maybe you can put a little silicone on the plug every time and get a decent enough seal for the weapon to work.

Well, normally people don't go to welding or grinding away on their gas blocks...

Personally, here's what I would do: Bite the bullet and find an awesome welder, the first place I would personally go would be the local community college where they have a welding course and speak with the instructor. Since they teach all different forms of welding they have the appropriate equipment and the instructor should be proficient enough to add material in the gas block and then you could re-tap the threads with a die, the size of which has been mentioned above. If you can't find an awesome welder, I'd look at sending it somewhere to get fixed. If you are in Texas, I could probably help you out, I know a couple of the welding instructors at South Plains College and have seen their work as far as TIG welding goes, I wouldn't think twice about taking my gun to them to have welding work done. If you are interested I'll talk to them, might be a couple of weeks though, due to the holidays and all...

I'm afraid that just welding a plate on the end is probably not going to work, but if one WERE to do something like that just weld the original gas plug in on it's open setting...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

An email to k-var about their gas block.

Got a response of how it will fit all Saiga shotguns.

I called today and left VM.

Looks like the end of the gas tube is sealed, is there no regulator? I am curious as to how this works.