I know most everyone on here likes guns. But what els do we all do? Lately I have ben building log beds to help finance my gun habit. I thought it would be a good thread to start. here is one I just got done. I havent put the finish on yet

This is one of those things that may look sort of easy to do on the surface, but I'll bet it's not easy at all. Is there a trick to getting the whittled down ends of the odd shaped posts to line up perfectly with their corresponding holes at the correct angle, or do you have to just painstakingly eyeball each one to fit?

I use a little of both measurements and eye. it takes a long time to make one from start to finish. considering going and getting the logs, peeling,drying,cutting,fitting,sanding,and aplying finish. Also do my day job and take care of my two girls.

• Like 1

I like that Woddy XJ up there, very cool!

I'm into an '86 RX7 with an LS1, i put a SA Ford 8.8 with 3.27's under it and i'm currently working on installing the BB76mm turbo. I play around with my daily driver/field runner '99 XJ on 33x10.5x15 BFG AT's under 4.5" of lift and ~220,000 miles.

My current project spread out over the garage right now, is long tracking one of my '98 Ski Doo MXZ670's from 121" to 136" with a 1.5" paddle track. I'm gonna be pissed if we dont get any good snow.

Whats the deal with those log beds, Price? Shipping? Those are nice!

I'm into the Beards too, although i'm only "bearded gunman", i dont have any tattoos.

• Like 1

I'm into an '86 RX7 with an LS1, i put a SA Ford 8.8 with 3.27's under it and i'm currently working on installing the BB76mm turbo. I play around with my daily driver/field runner '99 XJ on 33x10.5x15 BFG AT's under 4.5" of lift and ~220,000 miles.

My current project spread out over the garage right now, is long tracking one of my '98 Ski Doo MXZ670's from 121" to 136" with a 1.5" paddle track. I'm gonna be pissed if we dont get any good snow.

I'm into the Beards too, although i'm only "bearded gunman", i dont have any tattoos.

so far I have never shipped one. so I dont know what that would cost. I have sold most way too cheap for the amount of work I put into them.

Golf. In the spring and summer, I usually play in 2-3 tourney's a month. Plus I take lessons once a week in season and bi or tri weekly in the offseason, depending on how much I can practice. Kind of a bitch though, I dont know how or why I found another hobby that is at least as expensive or more at times than shooting and buying guns.....Pisses my wife right off cause she's not a huge spender. I try and make sure I take her with me ad even ride along with me in tournaments that will allow, and make sure to stay in a nice hotel when we are there. That way it feels like a mini vacation to her.

I shoot in the 80s somewhere, hopefully Ill crack 70 by the end of this coming season. I plan on playing in the Golf Channel Amateur Tour and the Hooters Amateur Tour. Basically they are mini local tours that are flighted by handicap, so that any skill level gets a little taste of competition. On the GC Tour, the top 2 in each flight in each region across the nation go to So. California for a 4 day PGA Style tournament on a course that wouldnt normally be accessible to normal people.

I also plan on trying to qualify at the Natures Valley Amateur tour, depending on finances. Basically they are 18 tournaments spread out across the country. Win your flight and get an invitation to Doral which has the most photographed hole in golf, The Blue Monster. That would be cool.

Oh and I work about 60-70 hrs a week, I guess thats sort of a hobby.

Dude, the woody Cherokee is nice. what size tires are those? I like the tall skinny look.

Thanks. It has a 6.5 inch lift sitting on 35 inch tires. It is a load of fun. I have done alot of work to it. I put a Ford 8.8 disk brake rearend under it and that helped alot.

Thanks for the props on my xj. The Ford 8.8 is one of the best kept secrets. Everyone wants a 9 inch rearend and pay good money when the 8.8 is laying around for fairly cheap.

well i collect 1/6th scale figures from wwII era, and modern. they can get pretty pricey for what they are. i also have a tattoo fetish. have more than i care to count. i also collect medals, weapons and equipment from wwII from all nations. thats even more expensive.

Cars have been my main hobby. I have owned may and have a long history of Pontiacs. I am restoring a 79 Tenth Anniversary right now. Look at my avatar to see my dream machine, it is a constant adrenalin rush to drive.

I have always been a gun owner but just recently ratcheted it up to hobby status. I also follow politics.

Thanks for the props on my xj. The Ford 8.8 is one of the best kept secrets. Everyone wants a 9 inch rearend and pay good money when the 8.8 is laying around for fairly cheap.

XJ owner to XJ owner!

8.8 is a helluva tough rear axle assembly! Parts are cheap, abundant, and they are very reliable and tough and they made millions of them, much like our beloved Saigas/AK's.

• Like 1

Until I moved from Juneau to Anchorage last year my hobby was my boat, a Bayliner 3058 that we used for fishing and cruising and which I used as a whale watcher enough to tell the IRS it was a business. She Who Must Be Obeyed got a fancy job in Anchorage which left me with only the choice of how I gave up my house and boat; divorce or bankruptcy, so I sold it all and moved to ANC with her.

Thinking of a boat again but ANC has no decent dockage, so it's a two to five hour drive to a saltwater dock. I like big saltwater boats and have a 100 ton license, but I'm thinking something for the rivers and lakes that I can trailer, maybe an old Chris-Craft mahogany runabout. I either have to go sign articles as a master or mate for somebody to get some sea time next year or I lose my license, and that would truly suck - those things ain't easy to get. You either have to have the sea time or go back to school and take most of the tests over; you really only want to do that once.

Guess the moral of the story is that I've just gotten too old for either new wives or new hobbies.

Building, teching, modding, tuning and playing with paintball guns is pretty high up there for me, but I haven't had many oportunities since lawschool started.

I used to make knives too. Anything good became a gift so I only really have the ones that didn't turn out right.

I also used to run a non-profit swing dance organization, which is doing great without me.

I am kinda knowledgeable about a lot of stuff, but I want a change right about the time I can make a serviceable functional model of whatever the latest thing is. I learn what it would take to move from a refined utilitarian XXXXXXx to a beautifully styled XXXXXX and decide it isn't enough better to warrant the effort for me. Next project. I can make a good knife that does everything I want, but I am probably never going to get around to doing it in etched damascus..... I will probably never make a one off custom milled pneu-mag either, but my Halfblock BPS twister is a real thing of beauty and can hold it's own with about anything on the market now. (hmm gotta do some tuning on that Tadao board/ MQ combo to get it really singing) Here's a picture of the PB equivalent to a safe queen since I don't have any of the other.

post-17871-0-28444400-1325766090_thumb.jpg

This:

IMG_20101119_140124.jpg

And this:

IMG_20110905_151938.jpg

I'm into hunting as well. Nice log furniture! My buddy makes the stuff. He built a steamer out of a large diameter piece of PVC pipe and some ends so he could steam limbs and then put cool bends in them.

• Like 1

Wow, there are some interesting folks around here.

I've been paddling white water canoes for over 20 years. My handle is a play on spelling, kanur = ku new er = canoer.

IMGP0772.jpg

We are also interested in dual sport motorcycle touring

IMG_0688-1.jpg

The Mrs on her BMW 650 GS back in Oct down in Arkansas

IMG_0931.jpg

I used to restore and race vintage Penton dirt bikes but now they mostly just collect dust.

IMG_0157.jpg

Edited by kanur

I forgot Agnes.

post-17871-0-54939900-1325834834_thumb.jpg

here she is dressed up for a post-apocalyptic party:

post-17871-0-33134600-1325834938_thumb.jpg

and with a setup more comfortable for travel.

post-17871-0-10425700-1325835059_thumb.jpg

It's tempting to go all the way with the cafe aesthetic, but the macho guys who ride proper cafes end up eunochs. I'll try to get a seat that has both important padding and the looks. Maybe make a rearset that lets me sit upright most of the time too.

It's tempting to go all the way with the cafe aesthetic, but the macho guys who ride proper cafes end up eunochs. I'll try to get a seat that has both important padding and the looks. Maybe make a rearset that lets me sit upright most of the time too.

Not all of us!

1975 R75 /6

No Rearsets

• Like 1

Writing stories and poetry. I'm an extra in the the Big Biting Pig Productions horror movie coming out this summer titled "Spirit Stalkers". I have a small part in a web series which starts filming next month. I'm not really an actor so the web series might not work out since I have a speaking part, lol.

I've made a few knives too, stock removal mostly. Actually, I've got a load of O1 in my garage that needs to be converted into something sharp. Maybe I'll hook up my static chain and grind a few this winter if I get a lull between classes.

is arguing with people on the internet a hobby?

No.

It's a way of life!

Stock removal gets a bad rap. Starting with superior steel and preserving or restoring temper can leave you with better and more consistent metal than the fanciest forging. They actually used stock removal as a primary method in the middle ages (the glory years of swordmaking)

Show us some of your work. I don't have anything left that I would want to hold up as good work, but I demand pics from you.

I did two on this pattern that weren't too bad:

th_greenwharn.jpg

I also did a single-bevel usuba that I was pretty proud of until a family member mistook it for a cleaver and let it rust. I never finished the gyuto I made to go with it. The blank is still covered in HT scale out in my garage somewhere.

• Like 1

I did two on this pattern that weren't too bad:

th_greenwharn.jpg

I also did a single-bevel usuba that I was pretty proud of until a family member mistook it for a cleaver and let it rust. I never finished the gyuto I made to go with it. The blank is still covered in HT scale out in my garage somewhere.

is it a full flat grind? it looks pretty good.