Hi,new member here! I'm a soon to be U.S ARMY soldier and am in the market to buy my first AK before basic (can't tell you when,OPSEC) I'm experienced with firearms,been shooting since I was 10 and have handled plenty of kalash's but am now buying my own and I have a big decision to make.

I have 3 options and I wanted to know the opinions of the knowledgable members here:

I can pick up a converted x39 for 450$ (basic trigger/stock/bullet guide)

OR a unconverted 5.45 saiga convert it myself and buy a shit-ton of 5.45 (about 120$ for 1000rds,big selling point in my opinion)

OR I could get a tantal in 5.45 for 300$ and buy even more ammo and mags,now I know century's had bad barrels in the beginning but apparently that's been solved and they are pretty good shooters.

Now my question is: I know saigas are great quality rifles,but do I get the rifle chambered in the super cheap 5.45 or more expensive 7.62?

Or should I just get the tantal in 5.45 and save even more money? Are they good quality? Is it comparable to the saiga? Is the converted 7.62 saiga at 150$ more a better deal than the 300$ tantal? Is the lack of 5.45 availability a bigger deal than the super cheap cost?

Thanks in advance for any info and advice!

Yup,I was told by my recruiter and the future soldier center that i should not post my ship dates on any public forums. Rules are rules...

The tantal us sold by classic arms,I'm calling them later to see who imports that tantal. The century builds are supposedly not bad anymore. Ill have tocall and see.

Also it typically won't matter which round is more effective,this will be a range toy during my enlistment and I plan on buying many more AK's in varying calibers. Which one I pick now is a matter of cost vs availability. The 5.45 is 130$ for 1000 7.62 is about double that but it's more readily available.

Edited by Bigsteel

Buy both. The Classic, and The Shooter.

I prefer the x39, myself, but if you are looking for something that you can send alot of lead downrange for small pennies, and think you will be shooting alot, go with the 5.45. Shooting occasionally, the x39 prices wont break the bank.

Even with a "good" century barrel, the Saiga has a much better, chromed and forged barrel. If you dont feel like converting, the Tantal has its own nice features and will be "Done" when it arrives at your dealer.

Sorry if i didnt tell you what to do, but it really depends on what you are looking for.

Oh don't worry,I will be getting both!

It's just which one to get now,the converted saiga 7.62 at 450$ isn't a bad price but I could get the tantal and a 1000rds for the same to my FFL...damn this is a tough decision. The only thing I DON'T like about the tantal over the saiga is the wire stock (i tried one and they lock up tight but cheek weld is shitty) and the less desirable barrel. I'll call them later,I'll se what they have to say about avaialability and ammo and then decide.

Btw, thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate any help I can get.--josh

Since you are going to be away and will not know were you will end up after basic (Thanks for your service). I would suggest that you wait, save your cash. When you get to a a permanent spot, then buy what you want. My son is in the Navy and I currently hold all of his guns.

Well,so much for saving the money,lol. I called classic and just bought my first saiga! The converted 7.62 came out to almost 500$ even to my FFL (I added in transfer fee) and I have enough cash left over to get a tin of surplus ammo! I figured I'd get the rifle that I KNOW will be good quality now and buy the cheaper classics/range toys later. Now I just have to wait...this is the worst part

And I plan on leaving it in my grandfathers safe when I'm gone. It's bolted down,secure and fire proof so we should be good. Thanks for the help and i can't wait to start modifying it,lol.

I plan to (later on) make It a AK-103 clone. Simple and effective yet still classy looking as I'm Not a huge fan of putting rails and crap all over my gun...

@ jetmech: it's being bought online,I couldn't test fire it which was one of the deciding factors for going with the saiga as they typically have a better track record for being great rifles. The tantal can come later and be a nice range toy/classic that becomes kinda a conversation starter. Igot a sweet spot for goofy/neat looking rifles like tantals and just about anything Russian made.

Edited by Bigsteel
  • Like 1

Good choice.......

And even better one on not posting your leave date.

there is a guy on silencertalk right now stationed in germany that just

had a little over 100 K worth of stuff stolen.

and two months ago another person had over 10 K of NFA stolen,

Facebook, twitter, and the forums,,,,,, AHHH so private.

Our parents fought for our privacy during the late sixties and early seventies. just so we can throw it away

by posting " HEY I'm 5 miles from home @ the mall"

Anywho your going to love the gun just stock ammo, mags, and drums, deep!

• Like 1

You're absolutely correct! I've seen and heard of too many people getting hurt from posting shit in an open forum that should have never been put out there. It's kinda messed up to think about but we were told to not wear are uniform alot in public because of all the anti military and gov't stuff an people being attacked verbally and physically about it. Especially over seas where it can get much worse. Hard to believe the uniform used to be respected and honored. Not anymore I suppose...

Edited by Bigsteel

even if you are not getting a 5.45 at the moment buy a couple of boxes of that cheap ammo. over here in nz the price of any ammo is shocking and i wish i had bought up large 10 years ago. even if you sit on it for 10 years it will still go bang but the guy next to you on the range will be paying 2022 prices for what he is shooting. have fun in the forces,i did 8 years nz army, you make life long friends there that you can count on through thick and thin!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,my whole family's military so it's nice to serve and always nice to hear a thanks from someone.

It's also nice being that I love firearms,I get to shoot all that cool stuff most others never get a chance to!

And buying the ammo now isn't too bad of an idea,I'll end up buying a shit ton of it after I graduate basic and have some cash to burn! That tantal is also on the list after basic.LoL

Edited by Bigsteel