AK74 keeps misfeeding.

Hi Guys. I'm not sure if this tech section is for saigas only or all AK type rifles so I apologize in advance. I've had an AK74 for a few months now and I've experienced a good amount of misfeeds while shooting. At first the rifle functioned flawlessly and now it either double feeds and jams or partially strips a round from the magazine and jams. I'm pretty sure only one mag caused double feeds because all other malfunctions consist of failure to strip a round from the mag. When I initially put a magazine in the rifle and chamber a round it will fire, but by the second or third round it will fail to fully strip a round and some of the casing is "shaved" off on the top. This occurs when the mag is feeding from the right. I have mostly Polish mags and a Bulgarian, but even with the Bulgarian mag it sometimes misfeeds.

Now as for ammo I've used both silver bear and Russian spam can surplus and both have jammed, so its probably not the ammo. I have two Polish steel mags that wont chamber a round even when I rack my rifle so those aren't good mags, but my other Polish steel and polymer mags used to work and my Bulgarian used to work fine too. I clean my rifle after each use because of the corrosive ammo.

My rifle is a Century Arms "M74." If you have any suggestions to try and resolve the problem with my rifle please let me know. Thanks!

Your saying that the bolt is skipping off the top of the round?

To me it can only be two possibilities.

1: Mag is to low in the rifle.

2: Rounds are not rising in the mag.

For option one I'd say it could be that the mag catch is incorrectly assembled and is preventing the magazine for going high enough. Take a picture of the mag catch lever from several angles.

For option two, the rounds are not rising high enough in the magazine, mag has some sort of problem that makes the rounds sit back low. If you have several military mags and they all do this... Odds are its not the mag.

• Like 1

Is the bottom of the reciever bent at the mag well??? This happens with stamped recievers, if so a pair of pliers will fix it in a couple seconds. Also check the mag catch. Something is FUBAR about where the round sits for stripping, or the extractor claw is gunked up.

i had to send my arsenal back for something similar. mags not fully seating and having stovepipe issues. i was told it was the mag catch was a tad too far back. not sure exactly what they did but they fixed it. sounds like something similar to what i had. pics help a lot if you can manage.

Well first off, clean your rifle. The amount of corrosive material I see in that gun is pretty bad at the moment. Though it probably isn't the cause, cleaning it will at least eliminate the simple problems.

does it have some front to back wobble? a tiny bit is ok but if its excessive the mags wont seat properly, especially when fully loaded.

give it a cleaning for sure. next time your out shooting, try pulling back a tad on the mag towards you to try to slightly push it up further into the reciever and see if it fires ok. if it does then the problems are the mags not fully seating.

my bolt would extract the shells out of the mag, but it was the bolt riding the top of the casing that was taking the rounds out of the mag. and the rounds were hitting the top of the chamber and the bolt was jamming into the casing. this was happening every 3 or4 rounds. had to send mine in for warranty work.

they should fix it since you only had it a few months.

can you get a pic of the bolt face while it is in the carrier in the rifle with a mag inserted with a few rounds in the mag (use empties!) at the point where the bolt is just touching the base of the cartridge?

hope that make sense, lol.

The witness marks on the bullet guide look OK on the left, but the right sooks hinkey. Does it mis feed from either side of the mag, or is only on one side ?

Edited by G O B