steel/metal framed hi point handguns

i've been looking around a bit and recently saw a steel framed hi point pistol in 40 cal.

i must say it looks alot better than the poly models and they feel shootable.

only thing is they don't have a thumb activated mag release. they have the european makarov type mag release at the base of the grip.

anybody know if the steel/metal framed models are better/more reliable than the poly models?

below is a pic of the metal framed 40 cal. the hand grip feels real. not like a toy like the poly models.

post-987-1124324678_thumb.jpg

unless its brand new those are the old ones...not the great value priced handguns we've come to know but the crappy pos handguns everyone has learned to hate....like i said tho its either brand new and if so i'll check the website and get back but i'm pretty sure its an older pos one...just got done looking over the website, i'm pretty sure its a old bad one...stick with the toy feeling hi points

thanks for the input buddy.

i too looked at their site and didn't see that they still make em.

too bad b/c they look better and feel better than the new poly models.

i did notice that the mag catch is plastic and looks kind of shitty.

oh well. onto the next one!

• 1 month later...

Jeeeze!

The gun buyer world sure needs a "what the hell substance is this made out of?" 101.

The "steel" junk gun shown in the pic is NOT steel...

It's soft junk zinc alloy -it pretty much "pot metal".

IT will add wt. -so the boat ankor/door stop function IS improved.

P.S -These were the original configuration of this blow-back, major caliber junk gun...

They were marketed under the names; Haskell, Stallings and Ibera Arms. The butt mag release was common to all.

They have not improved with age.

Edited by lollygagger

it never ceases to amaze me that folks will come out and bash the gun b/c it's not their style. If you take the gun (especially the new ones) for what they are, you will come out ahead of the game. They are economically priced, made in the USA, reliable, 100% warrantied firearms.

If you want an ultralight subcompact, this isn't your gun.

If you want a german made overpriced euro snob gun, this isn't your gun.

If you want an import with no warranty or known fatory, this isn't your gun.

Take it for what it is. It's an economical plinker which will go bang 100% of the time. If it doesn't, you take it up with the manufacturer who will make it right.

For crist sake, get over the snob bullshit.

If you want to puff your chest out say i'm a cheap ass and with shit guns, you're welcome to. However, my $5.5K Uzi (among others) would have you sucking your chest back in.

rant off.

Caspian

it never ceases to amaze me that folks will come out and bash the gun b/c it's not their style. If you take the gun (especially the new ones) for what they are, you will come out ahead of the game. They are economically priced, made in the USA, reliable, 100% warrantied firearms.

If you want an ultralight subcompact, this isn't your gun.

If you want a german made overpriced euro snob gun, this isn't your gun.

If you want an import with no warranty or known fatory, this isn't your gun.

Take it for what it is. It's an economical plinker which will go bang 100% of the time. If it doesn't, you take it up with the manufacturer who will make it right.

For crist sake, get over the snob bullshit.

If you want to puff your chest out say i'm a cheap ass and with shit guns, you're welcome to. However, my $5.5K Uzi (among others) would have you sucking your chest back in.

rant off.

Caspian

It's NOT snob stuff (don't like gun snobs either)...

But, it IS a experience thing, like it or not.

Heavy, pot metal, blow-back, striker fired, trigger block only safety guns were BAD enuff in .25 acp -but, they are a whole new level of trash in major pistol chamberings.

They are questionably safe. They are prone to break and misfire. They couldn't hit a bull in the ass beyond 15 yards...and they are gang banger specials...just waiting for safekeeping in a bush.

That pretty well covers it.

(A guy has to be usually under 25 & near your first or second gun to think otherwise.)

Edited by lollygagger
But, it IS a experience thing, like it or not.

Heavy, pot metal, blow-back, striker fired, trigger block only safety guns were BAD enuff in .25 acp -but, they are a whole new level of trash in major pistol chamberings.

They are questionably safe. They are prone to break and misfire. They couldn't hit a bull in the ass beyond 15 yards...and they are gang banger specials...just waiting for safekeeping in a bush.

It's ironic as hell when you cite "experience" as your guide when you are factually wrong.

1. The safety is NOT a trigger block, rather it is a sear block. When the safety is engaged, the sear is blocked from moving downward. If you owned one, you could verify. However, you have proven yourself one who bashes without owning one.

2. They are not unsafe. In fact they have a magazine disconnect and other internal safeties that i won't bother explaining since you are obviously incapable of understanding.

3. Prone to breakage and misfiring? Based on your expereince? :rolleyes: FYI, the firing pins are turned from fatigue proof steel and hardened to Rc 30. The Ravens and Brycos ARE cheap potmetal, the Hi-Points are NOT.

4. Striker fired is a bad thing? Maybe you should tell Glock, Kahr, Springfield XD, H&K that their designs are faulty.

5. Inaccurate? Maybe you need to look at the shooter before making that statment.

Caspian

You have one of thses, don't you?

Actually, I was referring to the pic of the old piece of junk shown by TWGLADE. I am aware, to some degree -not much, why would I?, that they have done "some" improvements on the CURRENT pieces of junk (mostly "lawyer" improvements).

Still -they are junk. Why, in God's name would ANYONE get one of these when there are STEEL, MILSPEC, VISABLE HAMMER, DISCONNECT SAFETY, LOCKING ACTION, decent handguns in the same price range is beyond me.

Why? Because it has "US" stamped on it's pot metal/plastic self? Hell! Send them five bucks if you want to support & feel sorry for them -but, buying JUNK "because" it is american is a FOOLS ERRAND.

Heard of a CZ 52? Heard of a Makarov? Heard of the whole line of eastern eupoean new & surplus offerings? how about the fine old ex-police S&W revolver offerings on the market? ALL these are affordable, reliable, well made & firearms.

Meanwhile...IF you have to own a blow-back pistol in a major chambering -consider the well made grand daddy of them all, the Astra. Heard of them, ain't ya'? Had a couple, I bet?

(And...you are not over 25, right? So...it's "TEAM HI-POINT" is it? Kool!)

Edited by lollygagger

Well over 25, and yes in my collection, i have a C9 pistol. Kinda a fun gun.

I noticed you neglected to acknowledge your errors. not suprising.

Whether you want to admit it or not, you're a gun snob. If making up false shortcomings on a gun you have no experience with makes you feel good, then go for it. You've proven to me you are not qualified to talk about this particular gun.

I noticed on another thread that you seemed to have some knowledge on ght FN-49 or Hakim. Maybe you should stick with what you know and defer comment on that which you don't. it's o.k. to say, "i don't know".

caspian (over 25.......by a few years)

i'm kinda tired of people bashing the hi points, i might get flamed by a few for this but while i have had mine jam it was the feed lips i did a little tweaking and did a little feed ramp polishing and it hasn't jammed since, mainly i think it was problems with wolf ammo but damn if you have one and dont like it then you can speak up...p ring had one and didn't like it, but i'm also willing to bet he didn't mess with it any to make it right, the company stands behind the product and they will be around for a long while, so if you have one and it works speak up, if you have one and it dont work speak up but if you dont have one dont speak up

- end rant

Jon,

Ignore lolly and those who bash w/o owning.

He has yet to acknowledge his lack of knowledge on this gun. All he has to do is say, "damn, i was wrong about the safety and striker fired guns." He doesn't have to add, "maybe i was wrong about other things.", although it would be a nice start.

He'll keep changing the topic to divert attention of his ignorance.

In the mean time, his reply will read something like this, "Well guys, are ya gonna answer my question."

The answer to that, deepthroatgagger is, "no". I will not answer any of your questions until you acknowledge your inexperience with these guns.

Caspian

i'm not trying to "hate" on lolly cuz he doesn't have a hi point or hasn't shot a good one or anything like that my rant was more directed to the knock it before i try it crowd. and yes lolly i would trust my life to the hi point, i would rather have my mossberg 500 or one of my aks in a shtf situation but if the hi point is all i have then it'll do fine

I dont know anything and am wrong most of the time.....With that out of the way, yup-I had a 9mm poly. Couldent resist a bargian firearm, thats how I ended up with my Saiga! I think I've posted my thoughts and feelings on this gun about three times in here so far. It was a jammer until I polished and ground/smoothed out the lip on the feedramp. Was that paint on the feedramp, or some kind of tar? After that it did ok, but still would not feed hollows reliably. It never liked the cheap Remington or federal target loads. It was a nightmare to dis and reassemble. Im not very accurate with a handgun (thats the wifes thing) but I couldent hit shit with the Highpoint. It seemed to have issues with the main spring being too strong or long.....I dunno? I would not trust my life on the firearm, so I got rid of it. All firearms are different, so I cant say that they are all junk....Maybe I got the one that was made right before quitting time on a Friday. Just lost my taste for them. Besides it looked kinda outa place in my case.

post-1374-1129683850_thumb.jpg

As much as I hate to take sides in this wonderfully entertaining argument, I hafta agree with Lolly. You cant go wrong with a CZ or Makarov for less money. I love them old bastards! Nothing wrong with loving the Highpoint if it works for ya, I think we are just lending our experiance to try and help out or fellow shooters.

My wife has a Taurus P92 that we paid about $350 for, new. (I like cheap) Its guaranteed for life...The warranty follows the firearm for life no matter who owns it. It has fed everything imaginable through it hundreds of times 100%. It field strips like a Beretta (same handgun really) Its got cool safety features and is very accurate. This is our first auto Taurus, I like it, it does a perfect job for us, and I would recommend it. Same with the CZ and Makarov. Ive had quite a few of thoes. But when someone asks about the Highpoint, I feel that I should lend my opinion in hopes of helping another member. Like if you asked about buying a Ford Tempo. Im too poor to be a snob, and dont know enough about firearms to tell you what not to buy. Just my opinions.

post-1374-1129684995_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys.

thanks for all the GOOD, BAD, & UGLY info.

since my posting of the topic i've done alot of research.

all the same good and bad comments are on tons of other threads and sites.

heres the deal. i've read more positive comments than negative regarding exceptional accuracy and dependability.

of the newest of new models of course.

ok. i own about 15 guns.

i cherish my guns and the condition they are all in.

i ride my atv alot, especially in the winter months when there is a ton of mud. we ride a good bit in the warmer months too, but alot of dust!

i'm not going to bring my $500-$600 pistol atv riding in the dust, water, and mud.

i was looking for something cheap, but worked and is accurate.

something that i wouldn't give a shit if it got wet, muddy, dusty, sandy, lost, or stolen.

because of the cheap $120 price tag.

the "no questions asked" unlimited lifetime warranty is why i steered away from the awesome makarovs, cz52s and such.

if anything ever, ever, ever, ever goes wrong with it, they fix it for free. "no questions asked"

so i can use, abuse, and not give a shit what happens to it. it is warranted.

so whats there to lose.

i know that there are better pistols out there.

but i sure as hell won't take em with us atv riding.

go to killeratv.com and see some pics of us riding and you too will see why i don't want to bring an expensive pistol with me.

later ya'll!

http://www.monsteratvs.com/BestofKillerATV.htm

heres the link right to the best of pics on the site.

there are better pics on the site, just go back to the main page and follow the links.

theres hundreds of cool pics of us being a little hard on our wheelers.

enjoy!

Cool site man! Looks like a load of fun!

If you like it, carry it. End of story. I have the same opinions about the AR15. I had a few. They were unreliable and heavy. I would take the cheapest AK47 variant (WASR10) over the Bushmaster or Armalite anyday. But thats just me. AR fans think im nuts. I think the same way about vehicles. I would drive an old Chevy truck or Lincoln coupe everyday before I would want to drive a newer type vehicle.

I dont want to sound like I was bashing the Highpoint. Its just not for me. And I know nothing of the steel framed .45 jobbie, mine was a 9mm poly. If it works for you, great! My neighbor bought one and hated it. But a guy I work with recently bought one and loves it. Its his primary carry peice, and he has no prob. outshooting me at the range with it. But thats not difficult to do. If you like it as a beater peice, I say use it.

The best one I ever saw at the target range had been heavily modified. The feedramp was reshaped and polished, the recoil spring had been replaced with one from another firearm and shortened. The tracks that the slide rides on were highly polished, as well as the rod and tunnel. The trigger had been modified and the top of the mags were reshaped. The sights were swapped out, the frame was plated or polished and the slide and mags had a cool looking funky silver coating on it, maybe Duracoat, I'm not sure. The guy was quick shooting tagets and getting 2"-3" groups dead center @ 25 yards. He tore down the pistol useing the tip of a .45 bullet, so I am assuming that he had changed out the assembly pins with something else. The safety was also relocated to beside the trigger. And it was a little button that went "click" instead of the bent steel piece. The grip looked nothing like a Highpoint, it was a rubberised ergo style that was flat on the bottom, with a retractable glass breaker inside. I thought that was pretty cool.

I didnt get a chance to talk to the guy, but I could overhear him talking about the "easy" modifications to the crowd of admierers that had gathered. So, I wouldent count the Highpoint out just yet, it might be the next great "hot rod" handgun. Like the Saiga kind of. My interest in this was peeked.

good idea about the sandwich bag GOB!

pistonring8,

thanks for all that info about that guys conversion. wish i could have seen that sucker. sounds like a cool little project.

since my last posting i bought me a 9mm. but it wasn't a hi point.

i spent $50 more and got a tanfoglio ta90 9mm.

i came very close to getting that hi point, and everybody was really pushing me to get it for the same reasons i wanted to get it.

to prove/disprove all the +/- reports about em. they wanted to see just as bad as i did what all the fuss was about.

well, looks like they'll have to wait a bit longer. i'll probably get one someday, but for only about $50 more i just had to pick the ta90 over the hi point.

sorry hi point. i did own a 9mm carbine and it was a shooter! one of the best little rifles i ever owned. never a problem and was more accurate than both of my mini 14s.

i also put it neck and neck with my keltec sub2000 and the hi point stomped a mudhole the keltec's ass.

only + the keltec had was the 30 round mags it would accept.

but there are 15 rounders for the hi point now.

soon they will have FULL cap mags for em! then i'll get one again.

thanks for all the great input guys!

be safe!

i take my hi-pint out on the 4-wheeler, dirtbike, tractor. if it gets dirty muddy or wet no big deal!!

when i go mudding in my truck i take it, thats what i bought it for.. a cheap gun to use and abuse.

I listen to you guys bitch about it and think damn!!!

i can't count 5 times in the 6 years i have owned my 45 that i have had trouble with it.

and yes im over 25 and no it wasn't my first or fifth handgun i have owned but it is the cheapest.

and yes i would trust it to save me( i would rather have my moss 590) but i would give no thought to using it if i had to in a life or death situation.

as far a dissasssembly i can do it now in just a few minutes. yes it is somewhat of a pain but thats part of the game.

this is my last thought on this. it is funny though listening to you guys rant and rave!! :haha:

• 4 weeks later...

well hell, i did it again.

i went and spent my hi point money on something else.

tanfoglio ea40 for $175.

sorry again hi point.

post-987-1135040905_thumb.jpg

and heres the 9mm that i chose over the hi point in round one of this great battle.

post-987-1135041177_thumb.jpg

post-987-1135041260_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I purchased a new HiPoint .45ACP a few months back, and finally got around to shooting it this weekend.

Overall, im not terribly impressed. The grips are really slippery (could be due to the fact that it was around zero all day and i wasn't wearing gloves), and the recoil seems brutal compared to my fathers S&W 4566 in .45ACP.

The sights are nice, the three orange dots are easy to aquire. The feed lips on the magazine were bent a little too far out, and round would slip out when the mag was inserted. No ftf or fte's after I fixed the magazine.

I'll be able to geta better feel for it this spring when the range opens again.

• 2 weeks later...

wow. i forgot all about this thread!

thanks saigashooter for the useful info!

i still have the hi point 45 on my list. that is, if i can get a steal of a deal!

would $80 new be a good deal?

please keep in mind this would be a trash, tear up, atv riding gun.

would be covered in mud, sand at dunked in the water multiple times.

• 3 weeks later...
I purchased a new HiPoint .45ACP a few months back, and finally got around to shooting it this weekend.

Overall, im not terribly impressed. The grips are really slippery (could be due to the fact that it was around zero all day and i wasn't wearing gloves), and the recoil seems brutal compared to my fathers S&W 4566 in .45ACP.

The sights are nice, the three orange dots are easy to aquire. The feed lips on the magazine were bent a little too far out, and round would slip out when the mag was inserted. No ftf or fte's after I fixed the magazine.

I'll be able to geta better feel for it this spring when the range opens again.

i have a 9mm, i had the same problim. what i did was cut a peace of bicycle iner tube, and slid it over the grips, works great.

highpoint_9mm.jpg

i bought my high point for the same reason, i wanted a gun i dont have to worry about. i was inpressed with mine. it looks odd, and felt cheap. but mine has had zero problims. and is accurate. are you over all happy with the 45? i was thinkg of gitting one, if i fined a good deal.

I'd have to shoot it some more to really get a feel for it, maybe this weekend.

I sprayed my grips with textured paint, and then painted over the txturing with black. Feels better in the hand, we'll see how it works when it's shooting.

Forgot to say, i really like the baseplate on your magazine. the .45 has a huge 1 inch plastic block for it's base, just ruins the looks of the gun.

p10103031ig.th.jpg

Edited by SaigaShooter
  • 2 months later...

well hell, i did it again.

i went and spent my hi point money on something else.

tanfoglio ea40 for $175.

sorry again hi point.

post-987-1135040905_thumb.jpg

If I could get a Tangfolio EA .40 for $175 I would grab it too since it's a copy of the CZ 75 and Tangfolio makes parts for the Baby Eagle. The only change I would make is to add an ambidextrous safety either from a CZ or from a Baby Eagle FS the one with the frame safety which was the more intelligent design than the Walther slide safety.

Hi Point pistols are still less expensive than $175 but I agree with TWGLADF with his choice (and lucky price)