I saw these surplus European, new condition, steel AK47 7.62x39 30rd mags for $9.95 each. That's the cheapest I've seen the all metal mags. I see others for $15 or more each.

Anyway, at that price, I bought one. Seems well enough made, but there are a lot of sharp metal edges on it. I haven't tried to load it or shoot it yet.

I don't know anything about AK mags. Are the more expensive ones any better, worth the extra bucks?

I think there are some newly-manufactured Bulgarian steel magazines that are pretty spot-on for surplus. There are some reports that they are made of thinner steel, but the examples I've seen look and feel as robust as any surplus mag. Where did you find these mags?

That's pretty normal. I paid $7.05/ea shipped for my last batch, but I had to order 50 to get that pricing. I don't know about thinner steel with the new Bulgarian production steel mags, but the ones I've seen have plastic followers, which do sort of irk the AK purist in me. I like my Chinese/Romanian/Bulgarian/Russian/Yugoslavian all-steel construction magazines.

I have 10 of those, and I like them. Am going to order 10 more.

Although, these are the only ones that I have owned aside from the 40 round mag from CSS with the rib on the back of the mag.

edit: forgot to say that the finish/color/whatever on them scratches moderately easily from my sloppy tactical reloads.

Edited by Agent Lemon

I also like the spineless chinese mags just cause they're easier on the hands. The best I've found are the bulgarian waffle mags I like them cause they're lighter don't have as much rustable surface, harder to dent and don't mar surfaces they rub on.