Aperture peep hole on the scope mount

The main reason that an aperture sight doesn't work so well in the standard location is that it is too far from the eye. I'm not too thrilled about the Tech Sights approach to moving the aperture back though.

I was thinking of buying a cheapo scope mount, cutting it down and modifying as necessary it to mount an aperture peep rear sight on.

Anyone tried that? Would it work?

Edited by leadchucker

The main reason that an aperture sight doesn't work so well in the standard location is that it is too far from the eye. I'm not too thrilled about the Tech Sights approach to moving the aperture back though.

I was thinking of buying a cheapo scope mount, cutting it down and modifying as necessary it to mount an aperture peep rear sight on.

Yep, been tried a dozen ways to hell and back.

Lots of rail sections mounted atop dust covers, these usually have problems holding zero since the dustcover moves so much.

Most if not all side mounted scope mounts/rails are too tall.

And extended rails coming back from a forearm quad rail, e.g. & Chaos's rail systems, plenty of these work very well, lots of these with the favored H&K type peep sights.

The new Chaos rails , e.g. Chaos Titan http://www.chaosus.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=TITAN_QUAD_RAIL

These go all the way back over the dustcover, lots of people happy with those.

Another good option would be an over the dustcover type rail, e.g. Polish beryl type, such as the Texas Weapons Systems Gen1 or Gen2 rails.

The TWS Gen1 came with aperture/peep rear sights, the TWS Gen2 offers them as a add-on.

The TWS Gen2 is a integrated dustcover rail, milled as one piece, and specially designed to mount very tightly and not move.

A side mount is what I was talking about. The side mount is the most stable place to mount a sighting device. More stable than a dust cover, unless it has radical modifications. Better positioned than the stock sight mount location. Yes, any stock side mount will be too tall. They were intended to mount a scope which would look over the usual sight line.

That is where the "modifying" would come in. I'm not above putting a cheap mount in a vise, and bending it down as needed.

Edited by leadchucker

if you are looking for a cheap side rail mount that you want to modify, check out Centerfire Systems first.

A few days ago I saw a side rail mount where you can adjust height and centering of it over the bore for $35. Looked super beefy and sturdy.

Check it out and let us know what you think.

I'm not sure how low it will adjust, but hopefully low enough to sit right on the dust cover

I am with leadchucker on side mount.

Been there, done that, including Ultimak, etc.

Alternative way to look at is 45 degrees offset BUIS.

You can get OEM side mount with (longer) rail and share it with Dueck-style or Surefire type of sights.

http://www.dueckdefense.com/gun-sight-specs.asp

rts-install.png

stagarms3g.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did this with some cheap aluminum scope rings to use as backups on scoped rifles. The peep sight is simply a hole drilled through the mount, re-shaped top with JB Weld. Notch sight is an old Enfield SMLE attached to cut off mount.

Simple by purpose, could do many other things.

post-26538-0-84785100-1328560394_thumb.jpg

post-26538-0-96277400-1328560417_thumb.jpg

Edited by wpflgun

A side mount is what I was talking about. The side mount is the most stable place to mount a sighting device. More stable than a dust cover, unless it has radical modifications. Better positioned than the stock sight mount location. Yes, any stock side mount will be too tall. They were intended to mount a scope which would look over the usual sight line.

The TWS isn't just a "dust cover" and it does have the radical modifications that you speak of to make it as solid, if not more so, than a side mount. Since it is lower than any side mount rail can get, you can mount their peep sight on it and it is the right height for the front sight, and you can mount it as far forward or back as you desire.

I had a Mojo Microclick on mine for a bit. The aperture was large enough it worked as advertised. I ditched it because I didn't like the fact it extended over the dust cover about 1" and sat low with the wheel in the 100 meter setting. I contacted Mojo and suggested a longer stop screw, and they are playing with it(accordign to the reply).