Turn your Flare Gun into a 45 LC & 410 Shotgun Single Shot Device

Anyone used the Kennesaw Cannon Company 22 Flare Gun insert? They now have a Single Shot 410 Shotgun or 45 Long Colt insert. What are your thoughts?

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/subcaliber-device-flare-gun-insert-p-2719.html

post-5490-0-18305900-1325308973_thumb.jpg

Before I was old enough to carry a handgun, a 410 shotgun shell and this insert would have been great for some of the canoe trips that we went on.

• Like 1

Smoothbore pistols fall under the AOW classification, regardless of barrel diameter. The Taurus Judge is a handgun because the barrel is rifled - the fact that it can use a .410 shotshell doesn't factor into it.

Since this adapter has a rifled bore, it's good to go - turns a flaregun into a Title 1 firearm, a handgun.

Kind of old but?? http://www.atf.gov/p...re-inserts.html

Flare Launcher Inserts

flare-launcher-inserts.jpg Classification Any Other Weapons, only when possessed with a flare launcher Distinctive Characteristics

Generally made of metal Special Note

25 mm 12 GA adapter is lawful unless modified Rate of Transfer Tax $200.00 if installed in a flare launcher (making of AOW)

Edited by Dad2142Dad

But wouldn't that make the owner a "manufacturer" unless the insert was registered as a pistol?

Yes to the first half, no to the second. You don't "register" pistols federally, and I don't think the adapter could be classified as a pistol, or it already would be. Yes, you become the manufacturer of the pistol.

Kind of old but?? http://www.atf.gov/p...re-inserts.html

The adapters referred to in the open letter you linked were smoothbore inserts. Had they been rifled, they would have been lawful, but still dangerous and foolish to use.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • Like 1

As for the ATF laws it is basiclly a loop hole that lets this happen, it has been sumitted to them and was APPROVED I think they come with a copy of the letter so enjoy there fuckup because one day they will fix it. I do want to stress just because ATF approved it does not mean your state won't try to screw you over it so check your laws. And for the guy who asked where to get a flare gun any mili-surplus store or on Gunbroker you can get them cheap.

Flare.

they're low-pressure. The flare pistol makers tell you that those pistols are not safe to load with a real 12-gauge round. Not illegal. Unsafe.

Look how thick the steel is around that insert! Most rifle barrels are about that thick, and the .45LC is a rather low pressure round.

the danger area that i can see is the breach face, and the strength of the barrel latch.when using the correct ammunition the pressure to the rear or the cartrige is spread over the 1 inch diameter of the breach face, when firing a 45lc you considerably reduce the area you are transferring the load to.

in simple terms its easy to poke the sharp end of a screwdriver through a sheet of roofing iron, turning it around and trying to poke the handle through the iron with the same force will take you all day.

• Like 3

I think keeping the flare launcher and some flares in your vehicle for an emergency is a good idea but I wouldn't trust it with .45 lc or .410 any more than a homemade zip gun. I carry a pistol all the time anyways so I don't see myself scrambling to the back of my vehicle for a single shot inaccurate weapon in any situation.

• Like 3

I think keeping the flare launcher and some flares in your vehicle for an emergency is a good idea but I wouldn't trust it with .45 lc or .410 any more than a homemade zip gun. I carry a pistol all the time anyways so I don't see myself scrambling to the back of my vehicle for a single shot inaccurate weapon in any situation.

Word!

Yeah, I really can't see having one of those on land. Stuffed into a boating survival kit (assuming I'm clear the hell and gone in the Pacific somewhere), sure. H&K 26.5mm flare launcher is $65, and another $60 for the insert. Add a box of .45LC and .410, and you're still under $200.

And I'm not sure how 'inaccurate' that insert is, it has at least 5" of rifling!

How do you get the spent shell out of the insert without a rod and hammer?

SportsmansGuide has inserts for putting a 7.62x25 into a .303 British and a few other caliber conversions to small pistol rounds and the overwhelming complaint is trying to eject the spent case that has expanded into the insert after being fired.

It's a neat novelty item, but you better make that one shot count if you ever have to use it (or just stick with flares).