Gunfixrs Gas Plug...whos still using one?

Still using my Gunfixrs plug. Wondered how many of you still have one in use as I see alot of talk about the V-plug.

Never have seen a thread on the performance comparison between the two. Only the V-plug offers one or two more settings over the Gunfixrs. Thinking about upgrading or gong with a Autoplug this year if it would benefit me. Already have the glassbolt with the MD Arms lite tappet Pauly sent me but would like a little more length on discharged shells.

Bring forth the wisdom oh armed crusaders!

Yo!

Currently still running the Gunfixer gas plug, see no reason to buy the V-Plug as this one works just fine... Albeit, so did the original, but I wanted a little more control of the gas.

I too would like to see the Gunfixer & V-Plug in a side by side comparison... Show me a significant difference and I'll buy one.

I also have an AutoPlug, the one I won in the Product Review Contest.

Keep meaning to put that in and give it a try, if that works as advertised, I'll drop the GunFixer like a hot rock.

Though there doesn't seem to be much excitement about it, and mixed reviews, if it absolutely was the 'Shit', everybody here would be running one.

This is like gas pucks were at one point.

I bought several the various gas pucks and tried them out, other than appearance and fit, I could discern no significant differences in function.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

I don't recommend changing parts out if the gun already works well. I still use the factory plug on all my personal Saigas (3 x Tromix S12s and 1 x Mach 1 Arsenal Saiga 12). I use a V-Plug on my Red Jacket Firearm Saiga 12. Why buy a part if the gun works well without out it?

No plug will make the weapon run well i it doesn't do so already. Here's how I see it....

Factory plug works fine, but doesn't offer fine adjustment of the gas system for those "in between" loads.

Gunfixr plug offers better adjustment than the factory plug.

MD V-Plug offers the most intricate levels of adjustment and is, I believe, the best manually adjustable plug out there.

Autoplug is the game changer. Dial it in and leave it alone for everything except magnum loads.

I just came up with an idea.... looks like my meeting with the patent lawyer just got more expensive ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, I haven't seen the Gunfixrs plug mentioned in a while. Everyone seems to recommend the v-plug and I'm not even sure Gunfixer still sells his. I am not changing the plug unless I go to the autoplug. The gun works thru all loads but doesn't eject far on the lightest loads and maybe three to four feet on slugs. The extractor and spring are ok also.

I also still use the Gunfixr plug. I bought it before the V-Plug came out and like Chile I have seen no compelling reason to buy a replacement.

Yep, much as I like MD products, the Gunfixer is just fine.

I like the Low-Medium-High concept. It keeps things simple, I see no need for more settings.

The auto-plug is a cool product, but in real terms, I want very high reliability on the gun and the auto plug is a (spring operated valve) potential failure point. With the Gunfixer plug, I can set it to high gas for range ammo, low gas for hunting/battle ammo. I don't ever envision a need to run a mixed mag of high brass and low brass, that never made any sense to me.

I also have an AutoPlug, the one I won in the Product Review Contest.

Keep meaning to put that in and give it a try, if that works as advertised, I'll drop the GunFixer like a hot rock.

Though there doesn't seem to be much excitement about it, and mixed reviews, if it absolutely was the 'Shit', everybody here would be running one.

It still run the gunfixer plug too. Been toying with the idea of getting an autoplug just because I'm curious about it. Haven't jumped on it because I don't see a lot of practical use for it. In my case, I don't really shoot low brass to begin with, and even for those that do - I would tend to think that if you're going to shoot up a bunch of low brass (drum dumps, etc) you'll be shooting a lot of it and won't be switching the plug back and forth.

Where the autoplug shines is being able to mix low and high brass in the same mag. I can't see the practical benefit of doing that though. Maybe it would be helpful in a mad max hellscape scenario where 12ga shells are rare and you'll be putting whatever you can find into the mag. <shrug>

Even if I had an autoplug, I'd still run the gasfixer plug anyhow some of the time anyhow. I practice malfunction drills by having a buddy mix in a round or two of winchester bulk pack into the mag.

These are some damn good replies. I bought the Gunfixrs plug back in 09 I think. It was all over the board as the one to get mostly because it was one of the first out. I agree as to the MD Arms plug having a couple extra settings that I don't think I would use unless tested out in a controlled setting using measuring tools to determine optimal performance. Its a shotgun after all and the three settings afford me enough control over it to be satisfactory.

Its nice to know that some of you are still repping the Gunfixr plug. After seeing so much about the V, I thought maybe everyone had went to that setup.

I don't recommend changing parts out if the gun already works well. I still use the factory plug on all my personal Saigas (3 x Tromix S12s and 1 x Mach 1 Arsenal Saiga 12). I use a V-Plug on my Red Jacket Firearm Saiga 12. Why buy a part if the gun works well without out it?

I agree with this... I changed out the factory plug a bit back and my saiga stopped cycling rounds as well as it did with the factory plug. I never had a FTE until I changed it, now that the factory plug is back in... flawless.