410 at the skeet range

I am sold on the 410! I took it to the range today and did great with no choke. I don't shoot skeet very often, and I usually hit around 50% of them with my 12ga pump. Today I hit 11 out of 12. I missed the high bird on the double from station 3. I Hit everything on station 1,2, and 4.

I made it to station 5 before a guy from the range came out and told me they had a rule against pistol grips and collapsible stocks (WHAT KIND OF JUNK IS THAT!!!) I finished the round with my buddies 870....didn't do so hot.

I talked to the manager after shooting about the "no pistol grip or collapsible stock" rule. I wanted to know if I got a thumbhole stock, if that was ok.

He lifted up a beretta semi auto and said "unless it has a standard stock like this, you can't shoot it here."

I asked "could you explain what that rule is all about"

He said "It's just a generic safety rule, It's the rule at most ranges. This is a target range, not a combat shooting range"

I said "why is a pistol grip unsafe?"

He said "because you have to stay in control of the gun... eh, ugh, it's just the rule.....you should have a standard stock not any pistol grips or vertical grips or anything like that."

I gave up and told them I'd like my membership refunded. I understand you don't want someone trying to shoot with a pistol grip cruiser with no stock, or the ol' chainsaw model, or I could even buy off on no rickety looking wireframe folding stock, but I don't see how a pistol grip makes the gun "uncontrollable".

Anyway, it was very disapointing. The 410 is so light and handy to swing through targets and hardly any recoil muzzle rise between shots on doubles. I think it would be a great bird gun.

Yep, I've heard of many ranges with formal Skeet/Trap setups having that ass'inine rule.

Thankfully, my favorite local range has no such rule, though if the Fudds are shooting Trap, they frown... But they're always frowning.

I'd go so far as to give them the collapsible stock... But a PG? No way, it increases controllability in most aspects.

So they can stick that crap where the sun don't shine.

Granted, a PG's ergonomics are not the greatest for shooting clays, i.e. it doesn't swing as well as the standard Monte Carlo style stocks.

But the same too can be said for any shotgun with a barrel less than 24", and many diehard skeet/trap shooters say 24" is too short.

So what they going to do next, make rules against any barrels 24" and less?

Just typical bullshit.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

No pistol grips allowed at most skeet ranges because they are run by Zombies. They saw the movie and are afraid of them,

Our local range has outlawed "all" shotguns now at the target lanes. It used to be slugs only, but now no shotties at all.