Downsides to SBR SBS

The most significant neg that I can think of is that I didn't do it sooner.... ;)

Cost? You only live once. Is happiness worth $200? I think so.

Traveling? I have plenty of long S12s, AKs, and ARs that I can travel with.

• Like 1

Now that my SBR AR is pending, I'm starting to dread the inevitable, ferocious muzzleblast.horror.gif Actually, I have not noticed the muzzleblast while shooting my 12" S-12 SBS, because I have such a blast myself!

Anyone that wants to talk muzzleblast should try shooting 80 or so rounds in a day from a .50 BMG. The blast wave and subsequent effects can be mitigated somewhat by proper shooting technique, but a day of shooting will still wear on a body. Especially if one shoots the Iron Man division at a .50 BMG match, shoot all four classes, Light, Heavy, Hunter, & Unlimited. Total round count, 250-300 rounds in a weekend!

As I get older, I'm leaning toward getting a can for .50 BMG. As to a SBR, a can is very much recommended if it is to be used for home defense. Otherwise, the muzzleblast won't be that bad.

Edited by 1mile50

Now that my SBR AR is pending, I'm starting to dread the inevitable, ferocious muzzleblast.horror.gif Actually, I have not noticed the muzzleblast while shooting my 12" S-12 SBS, because I have such a blast myself!

Anyone that wants to talk muzzleblast should try shooting 80 or so rounds in a day from a .50 BMG. The blast wave and subsequent effects can be mitigated somewhat by proper shooting technique, but a day of shooting will still wear on a body. Especially if one shoots the Iron Man division at a .50 BMG match, shoot all four classes, Light, Heavy, Hunter, & Unlimited. Total round count, 250-300 rounds in a weekend!

As I get older, I'm leaning toward getting a can for .50 BMG. As to a SBR, a can is very much recommended if it is to be used for home defense. Otherwise, the muzzleblast won't be that bad.

Muzzle blast shouldn't be an issue for you, if you are used to firing a .50. I run brakes on my SBRs, even inside.

• 1 month later...

When the wife was looking for places to start interviewing after med school I gave her a list of places I will not live under any circumstances, regardless of the pay or anything else.

Illinois, California, New York, New Jersey, Maryland - no thanks. I'd rather live in another country.

You won't be allowed to visit or move to California, New York, or New Jersey with your SBS or SBR.....

Other than the prohibitive cost gain in flash and loss of velocity, are there any other downsides to getting a SBR or SBS? I'm more concerned about legal ramifications, like if after you get the stamp for a SBS do you get random visits to check on the SBS/SBR? Travel is likely limited based on state laws, but what can you tell me about the hassles that aren't obvious.

The downsides of SBRs - one thing comes to mind with ARs. Keep your SBR registered lower together with your shorty upper. Don't keep extra shorty uppers around non SBR registered lowers... that's asking for trouble because it's considered intent to create an unlawful firearm...

Also you can get your SBR delisted but you need to convert it back to a 16 barrel before you put in your petition to take it off the list otherwise it's a no no...

as far as krinks... I think the cost of just a parts kit is kinda crazy how much they went up in price over the years. But I'm thinking about taking the plunge on one at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to laugh a little at the idea that potentially having to fill out a form and mail it every five to ten years is a major down side to owning an SBS or the like. Pretty much any of my other toys require more than that. I have to fill out forms (and write checks) every year for my boat, my dirt bikes, my snowmobiles, and my Corvette. I have to do more than fill out a form every 5 years to take care of my horses. Hell, when I had a dog I had to get it licensed each year. Maintaining and keeping my vacation home takes way more effort than filling out a simple form and taking to post office once or twice a decade.

A form every 5-10 years is a pretty small downside for having something you enjoy.

The downsides of SBRs - one thing comes to mind with ARs. Keep your SBR registered lower together with your shorty upper. Don't keep extra shorty uppers around non SBR registered lowers... that's asking for trouble because it's considered intent to create an unlawful firearm...

Also you can get your SBR delisted but you need to convert it back to a 16 barrel before you put in your petition to take it off the list otherwise it's a no no...

as far as krinks... I think the cost of just a parts kit is kinda crazy how much they went up in price over the years. But I'm thinking about taking the plunge on one at some point.

I'm having a hard time with the extra uppers thing. I have a couple SBRs, but have 3 short uppers. So, according to your logic, if I took both SBRs to the range and for some reason the ATF came to my home while my wife was there with that 1 short upper and a non-SBR AR in the safe all while I legally own 2 registered SBR lowers , she would be up shit creek for constructive possession? Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Zambidis,

What is the following statement regarding?

" A form every 5-10 years is a pretty small downside for having something you enjoy."

Also, how did you get your "banned user" banner? That is far cooler than my warning point wink.png How can I get one that says "Almost Banned User"?

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I'm having a hard time with the extra uppers thing. I have a couple SBRs, but have 3 short uppers. So, according to your logic, if I took both SBRs to the range and for some reason the ATF came to my home while my wife was there with that 1 short upper and a non-SBR AR in the safe all while I legally own 2 registered SBR lowers , she would be up shit creek for constructive possession? Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Zambidis,

What is the following statement regarding?

" A form every 5-10 years is a pretty small downside for having something you enjoy."

Also, how did you get your "banned user" banner? That is far cooler than my warning point wink.png How can I get one that says "Almost Banned User"?

See http://atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf This clarifies it for me. Especially the oft repeated "no other purpose" clause.

It makes absolutely no mention of an individual already having multiple registered lowers. It sounds like they are referring to someone having a non-NFA firearm and a compatible short barrel, absent a compatible NFA registered short barreled rifle. The premise of it being illegal to have more than one short barrel for a NFA item makes still doesn't make sense to me. What if I have an M16 and I have one barrel for all out blasting and attempting meltdowns and I have the original unfired pristine barrel put away? What then? what if I melt down a barrel and get another, but I haven't sold or thrown away the old worn out barrel yet? What then? Both of my SBRs are registered as 10.5", so I keep them primarily to make sure that I always have the ability to change them back to 10.5". I have one 12.5" upper that is an extremely light KISS upper that is for all out blasting and I have another 12.5" upper that is a suppressor host with a Switchblock.

The same logic would dictate that if I had a SBR lower in a bag, a short upper in another bag, and a complete rifle in another bag, that I would be in possession of an illegal NFA item because the short upper could be put on the non-SBR lower. Senseless.