Synopsis: Sorry we think you will get bored and move on, and we'll not get a good return on our time/money in training you.

We see this same rationale in many fields, over educated/too smart, you'll get bored, want too much money and/or want your Boss's job.

Too dumb and well... Ya know, they give them guns.

Too smart and well... Ya know, we can't make them all detectives.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

Break out the tinfoil haberdashery...

Or perhaps the smart ones will realize that they could possibly be involved in the largest street gang in the USA?

That this gang uses excessive force, lies, deadly force, lies, planted evidence, lies, false testimony, lies, coercion & beatings and more lies on a daily basis as a matter of SOP.

Maybe they would see the internal high level corruption and control by Unions & Arbitrators, understand the danger of lack of Civilian Oversight, and just maybe blow the whistle.

They could be smart enough to see that The Thin Blue Line protects bad cops, and that if they speak up they'd endanger themselves.

Realize that they could be the new foot soldiers in a rapidly expanding and arming, paramilitary police state, and are going to actively to trample the People's Constitution/BoR into the ground?

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 4

I guess Barry and all other ousted politicos have fall back jobs then.

I do tend to slightly agree with a higher IQ person getting bored with their job. I have a blue collar job(machinist/roll grinder at an aluminum rolling mill) and have an above average IQ. I decided I was too lazy to complete college after two years in the aerospace/mechanical engineering program. I sometimes get bored with the same monotonous thing day after day at work but all fields will have this. Turn over is going to happen in the workplace but no one should ever be discriminated against. I know others I work with have higher brain function, few of my friends dads whom never graduated high school have multi-million dollar businesses, and some of the dumbest people I know have the jobs you would think are reserved for the "smarties". Just the way the world works.

I decided to become a machinist after talking with a friend of mine about what he did everyday. Sit behind a machine all day and read the newspaper! Mostly math oriented on setups with large pieces but still most days are relaxing while enjoying a good book. Non union also. With my "high IQ", I believe I made the right choice.

I'm sure this is not all just conjecture. There has no doubt been a track record established that indicates smarter people tend to move on to better things. This happens all the time in both the public and private sector. I do believe they need go beyond this method to identify smarter people who truly want to make a lifelong career out of law enforcement, as well as identifying those who are somehow making it in that have no business at all being in that job.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about becoming a Law Enforcement Officer myself, and I have an IQ of 173. Which if your didn't know is damn near genius, but does this mean if I do decide to become a LEO that I will be turned down due to my intelligence? Sounds a lot like discrimination to me, also we all know that there is a lack of competent LEOs. It sounds like SOMEONE has set the standard low on purpose, like they don't want the enforcers of the law to know what the hell they are doing. Could this be another conspiracy?

Or perhaps the smart ones will realize that they could possibly be involved in the largest street gang in the USA?

Nice reference dude, awesome documentary. Wonder if that's been posted yet?

it makes for the perfect mix. lower I.Q. over size ego. protection from a union, the political system and the code of silence. then, to all this add performance enhancing drugs.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/26/illegal-steroid-use-among-police-officers-a-big-problem/

this is not cop bashing. just sad facts. friday i was stopped in Kent Ohio. i produced my papers and declared that i was armed. the patrolman said the back door to the truck was open. he did me a courtesy that the local motorists failed to do.

I liked this comment on the original post

This case, along with the work of Pete Moskos, was pretty much instrumental in my decision not to become a cop after college. I had delusions that i could change things from the inside, but found myself reading over the questions on the application like "Have you ever been a member of a fascist organization?" and thinking "that's a funny question to have on a police application, they already asked if I had been previously employed as a police officer"

Nice reference dude, awesome documentary. Wonder if that's been posted yet?

Yes it has.