Advantages to changing stock hand guards?

Well, it depends on how you plan on attaching a new hand guard and what your trying to achieve. There are several options each of which has its + and - and largely depends on your skill and budget.

1. Using the existing configuration where it is secured by the extended pin on the gas block; you can use one of the many options offered by member vendors. An example is the SGM tri-rail that give you rail capabilities without any modifications. A lot of people have an issue with the the lack of heat protection using these options (and the stock hand guard for that matter). Also, some want metal rails and will steer clear of composite. I do not find the heat to be an issue unless your doing a lot of rapid fire. I just slip on a glove.

You can also modify your stock guard for free with a dremel and file. I re-profile and vent the guard to help with air flow.

2. You can use a bolt on hand guard retainer which will allow you to use standard AK type guards such as wood or Arsenal's composite stuff. This gives you the most flexibility in terms of style and heat dissipation since some have heat shields and the wood is good on its own. This is the most popular option at least from looking at the pic threads. There are several suppliers that also make railed version that fit "standard" AK configuration.

You will also need to replace the gas tube with a standard tube with a built in retainer to use the proper upper hand guard. This will also give you the traditional AK look.

Some hand guards have a built in retainer that you simply snug up to the barrel and is not a separate piece.

The downside for some purists is that this a bolt on part and not a "proper" retainer. To do a proper slip on retainer you would need to press off the front site block and gas block. Then install the retainer and re-install the other components (this is a decent amounts of work and requires some gun smithing skill).

I would say shoot the rifle in its stock configuration and see what the issues (if any) are for you. Then think about your goal and search pic threads for ideas. Once you decide what you want to do there is plenty of support here to help you get the right parts for the job.

Edited by grimm100
  • Like 1

Another big plus is you get to spend more money on the hopes you can add more stuff to your weapon, which some say is already to heavy, you can add a light so you can be more stealth, an optic sight for better short range defensive shooting, a bipod you probably won't even use and then there is the muzzle brake(not mounted on the fore grip though) so you can control muzzle climb and recoil on your semi auto, mild recoil rifle that will increase the sound of the muzzle blast that you will hear. But it will look tactical as all get out. :what:

Another big plus is you get to spend more money on the hopes you can add more stuff to your weapon, which some say is already to heavy, you can add a light so you can be more stealth, an optic sight for better short range defensive shooting, a bipod you probably won't even use and then there is the muzzle brake(not mounted on the fore grip though) so you can control muzzle climb and recoil on your semi auto, mild recoil rifle that will increase the sound of the muzzle blast that you will hear. But it will look tactical as all get out. what.gif

LMAO

Honestly, I like the gun as it is :)

However, I do have a couple of adjustable buttstocks laying around, which most likely be my only change.

I agree, my only gripe with the stock hand guard is the heat thing but as I explained above, a little venting and profiling (or glove) and you can fix that right up. For me personally, if I were to go the traditional AK look I would do the proper trigger guard, hand guard retainer, gas block, front site block, cleaning rod, break etc. However, this end up becoming a non-budget rifle that requires a lot of time, money and some not so common tools. I like my hybrid looking kalishinikov...Simple and reliable!

Edited by grimm100

Just like anything new, its different. And no matter how much you think youll like what you put on your rifle next, you may not. Ive been through that a couple times. The good thing about ak parts is you can sell them and get back most of your money, and give someone else a good deal.

I have no problem with the stock HG. Ive used it thru four different buttstocks. Ive dumped 60rds as fast as I could (which is mild compared to some guys), and only gotten a slightly melted, tiny piece on the inside. For most uses its just fine, If your going into combat soon, go with aluminum.

Grimm, I know what you mean. The basic conversion isnt awefully expensive, but quality parts and tools can be. This is where im at, just paid 100bucks for the new ace stock and adapter.

post-31894-0-77771500-1325473658_thumb.jpg

What advantages are there in changing out the current stock hand guards on the Saiga rifle other than looks?

Thanks!

Parts count.

Yea, Im still one part off, so aside from my one tapco mag, I have US made followers in all my steel mags.

I vented my stock handguard with a dremel and added a magpul forward vert grip. love it!

How did you mount the forward grip? Did you bolt a rail on there?? Id like to do that so I can have one of those angled forward grips.

+'s & -'s to switching to a standard AK HG

+ Better sling attachment/more location options(well sort of you can use a universal sling wire loop around the barrel and notch the rear of the stock HG...) so barely a +

+ Stronger mount of the HG. The stock saiga HG is only held on by the shape of the material(hugs the barrel) and a 3mm pin. Broken those pins before when trying to re-pin the gas block... Plus the sling is attached to the Saiga HG then HG to the 3mm pin. Instead of sling -> HG retainer -> barrel. The standard all steel AK HG retainer is much stronger.

+ The heat thing... Eh. I'm sure there is some temp the barrel can get to where the stock Saiga HG will fail and the standard AK HG will not. I've yet to see it though. At TR fighting rifle a buddy had his Saiga with the stock handguard. Was a couple of years ago but I'd venture a guess that we put 300 plus rounds through each of our rifles in <15min. 1500 rounds for the two days. His stock Saiga HG was fine. So again, barely a +

30731_889918683723_6215944_47929302_2968409_n.jpg

- Stock HG is shorter. The longer stock Saiga HG gives more hand positions. Always a good thing.

- Stock Saiga HG is the slimmest & lightest I've ever seen. I want the rifle as light and as small as possible.

What advantages are there in changing out the current stock hand guards on the Saiga rifle other than looks?

Thanks!

Parts count.

Yea, Im still one part off, so aside from my one tapco mag, I have US made followers in all my steel mags.

I vented my stock handguard with a dremel and added a magpul forward vert grip. love it!

How did you mount the forward grip? Did you bolt a rail on there?? Id like to do that so I can have one of those angled forward grips.

yes, I got a rail kit from online and bolted it right to the handguard. Be sure you get a longer rail or know exactly where you want the thing before you drill.

you can also line the inside of the hand guard with metal tape from a heating and cooling supply shop. this should help with hot barrels

I am actually a big fan of the stock handguard. For total utility, drill 3/8" vent holes and add an aluminum trough (heat shield). Even the Tapco US handguard is not bad. If I had not set out from the outset to make an AK74/103 clone, I would have stuck with the stock handguard.

standard hangfuard, modified:

Saiga6.jpg

Tapco handguard with standard AK gas tube and top handguard (good set up)

Top.jpg

MySaiga2010.jpg

imarangemaster, I am also a fan of the factory guard. I drilled mine exactly as you did and most people think it came like that. Where would one find an aluminum trough?

I asked rangemaster the same question a couple months back. He said to use sheet aluminum, like you would use for heating ducts. They sell it at lowes or home depot. Edited by Boomsick42

I wanted to say that hand guards have been . . . frustrating for me as a Saiga owner. the 1Z-332 is so awesome for this reason, but I'm late to the game.

I've had stock, a TAPCO Galil-style and currently have the Intrafuse Tri-Rail (it was free). I like the light weight options, but want something sturdy with a good sling mount and something to hold and AFG. sure you CAN do that on the stock hand guard but to me it ruins the aesthetics. I actually like the "AK" form factor. weird, I know.

I think there's a mint to be made in Saiga hand guards. I really like the newest Midwest Industries rail, but the cost and weight bug me., The Hogue is nice. I like everything except for the cant of the new Chaos rail.

the SGM and Intrafuses are about the same. I don't give two shits about the the heavier quad rail blah blah blah stuff. not these are bad options for some, but just am not mounting that much heavy crap to my rifle.

If someone could make some plastic/polymer hand guards (the stock Saiga one is actually pretty beefy) with heat shielding that will SOLIDLY mount to the rifle without major mods, maybe with metal railing on the bottom and attachment points for rails on the other sides (optional) and sling point mounts like the Magpul MOE AR-15 hand guard? that still maintain the slightly shorter form factor that exposes the gas tube a little? oh baby. I'm there.

Basically I guess I want the MI Saiga rail in heavy duty plastic. haha!

Another big plus is you get to spend more money on the hopes you can add more stuff to your weapon, which some say is already to heavy, you can add a light so you can be more stealth, an optic sight for better short range defensive shooting, a bipod you probably won't even use and then there is the muzzle brake(not mounted on the fore grip though) so you can control muzzle climb and recoil on your semi auto, mild recoil rifle that will increase the sound of the muzzle blast that you will hear. But it will look tactical as all get out. what.gif

haha.gif Awesome!!!

imarangemaster, I am also a fan of the factory guard. I drilled mine exactly as you did and most people think it came like that. Where would one find an aluminum trough?

I asked rangemaster the same question a couple months back. He said to use sheet aluminum, like you would use for heating ducts. They sell it at lowes or home depot.

got 24"x24" in the garage to play with.
I like everything except for the cant of the new Chaos rail.

Sandman, what do you mean by 'cant' on the chaos rail?? Im looking to the MI and chaos rails. Any info helps.

I think he means that the receiver is angled from the barrel. As the rails are parallel to the barrel, it appears as if the quad rail is 'canted' relative to the receiver.

Sandman, what do you mean by 'cant' on the chaos rail?? Im looking to the MI and chaos rails. Any info helps.

I think he means that the receiver is angled from the barrel. As the rails are parallel to the barrel, it appears as if the quad rail is 'canted' relative to the receiver.

That would make sense. I cant say ive noticed that before, through pics anyways.

Exactly what I mean. If you look closely in the psuedo official thread of the announcement on here, people posted their photos near the end. I started to notice it in some of the angles and once I did, I noticed it in all of them!

1000537ph.jpg

Modified butt stock and modified stock fore grip. Relocated front sight and changed rear sight. Sight radius is approx. 7" longer than stock. Made my own alum. bracket to hold front grip, very secure. Butt stock is approx. 12-1/2" with an additional 1" of drop for better sighting to me. Had a muzzle brake but made the report to loud so I removed it. It is used as a sd/battle rifle and does not drive tacks. To each their own.

• Like 1

1000537ph.jpg

Modified butt stock and modified stock fore grip. Relocated front sight and changed rear sight. Sight radius is approx. 7" longer than stock. Made my own alum. bracket to hold front grip, very secure. Butt stock is approx. 12-1/2" with an additional 1" of drop for better sighting to me. Had a muzzle brake but made the report to loud so I removed it. It is used as a sd/battle rifle and does not drive tacks. To each their own.

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!! Im jealous I dont have that creativity. Its the most original saiga ive ever seen, anywhere.