Top Converted Saiga-12 Manufacturers for Home Defense

None... I do my own conversions.

I'm able to just as good a job on a normal conversion, I can do it any way I choose, any parts I want, any color, in a shorter time, for less cost and I get the enjoyment & pride of doing it myself.

Further, I learn more about my new firearm by working on it myself.

It is easy, no really, easy to do basic conversions.

Basic tools, Dremel & assorted attachments, files, punches, power drill & some good bit, center punch, hammer/mallet, screwdrivers, hex/etc wrenches, taps/dies, bench vise, sand paper, various primers/paint and etc.

More advanced conversions can require other tools/machines, drill press, hydraulic press, MIG/TIG welder, media blaster, curing oven and etc.

And granted, one must have some good DIY skillz and know their own limits.

OK... OP has a serious question.

Not everyone is up to doing their own conversion.

Hmmmmmm... (Chile ponders)

For a SBS... Tromix

For a race/competition gun... J&T Engineering

For a standard conversion done with style... Lone Star Arms

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 6

I havent seen any of J&T Engineerings, I would be interested in it though.

Based on what Ive seen, but not having any first hand experience, I would probably go with Lonestar Arms. Really like the look of theirs and the owner seems to have real good customer service having PMed me answers about his weapons specifically even though he knew I wasnt even close to being in the market for one. Seems to be a real good guy.

• Like 1

+1 for Chile

It does not get any better than if you do it yourself.

Well, I think this might be a slight oversimplification. Don't you think it depends on who the "you" is? And "better" than what? A Tromix for example? I think that would be a pretty tough sell. I'm all in favor of the DIY route, and there is no question it's a good way to learn some things, but as far as the quality of the finished DIY product there can be so many variations that this statement has to be a tad idealistic.

Tromix, Lone Star Arms, and Red Jacket Firearms are your best bets. This is based off of what I have read and seen through these forums.

I don't own any of them and did the conversion myself. If I were to get another saiga, I would buy one already converted by these guys if the price were right... I did the conversion myself because I just wanted the experience, and the full know how of how the gun functioned and what every internal part does. The conversion was simple and the weapon functions flawlessly, if you have the option to do the conversion yourself I would recommend giving it a try... although it's not for everybody.

Just ask for Pictures or posts from people that actually own the guns and you should come up with a pretty good idea. Also Ask a couple of questions.

Whats the finish, do they park, sandblast and refinish,or do they even refinish.

Do they tig up the Receiver and old FCG Holes?

Is there a safety selector stop.

Do they do a gas service.

Is the trigger guard a DIY bolt on?

These are some of the things that separate a DIY build. So make a list of the things you like or would like to have done and match it to a company. Then you will have your answer.

here is a Build we have done.

post-16266-0-95009900-1325557953_thumb.jpg

post-16266-0-66241400-1325559849_thumb.jpg

post-16266-0-87810000-1325559860_thumb.jpg

post-16266-0-33677700-1325559883_thumb.jpg

post-16266-0-20294800-1325559896_thumb.jpg

post-16266-0-79213800-1325560597_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just ask for Pictures or posts from people that actually own the guns and you should come up with a pretty good idea.

My GOD, that is one beautiful weapon!

I'm very fortunate to have TAC47 close to the house. It gives me the opportunity to see their work, as well as other vendors at Houston area gun shows. TAC does some great work, and their prices are very competitive, Another great plus for them, Keith is always willing to give the locals a few tips when needed.

If you were to purchase a converted Saiga-12 today, which manufacturer would you choose? Why?

For me, this is an absolute no-brainer............ I personally don't have the time nor the inclination to do my own conversions. It's not that I don't have the skill or the tools to do it, but I'm just as likely to screw up on something as not....... I want my conversion to be perfect in appearance, to run anything I feed it, and to perform flawlessly......... TROMIX is the option I would go with without exception, as it just doesn't get any better than Tony's work. There are, of course, other options..........but for me, personally, it's TROMIX.

Edited by Jeaux E
  • Like 2

If you were to purchase a converted Saiga-12 today, which manufacturer would you choose? Why?

For me, this is an absolute no-brainer............ I personally don't have the time nor the inclination to do my own conversions. It's not that I don't have the skill or the tools to do it, but I'm just as likely to screw up on something as not....... I want my conversion to be perfect in appearance, to run anything I feed it, and to perform flawlessly......... TROMIX is the option I would go with without exception, as it just doesn't get any better than Tony's work. There are, of course, other options..........but for me, personally, it's TROMIX.

I totally agree and I'd love to send mine in...BUT...its basically impossible. Currently you can't even try to order one until what, June? And even if you want to wait until then, its still a crap shoot to see if you're gonna get a golden tromix ticket that month.

If the demand really is that high, why don't they quadruple their staff and equipment? surely they aren't short on cash. If you have a flourishing business you need to expand. Making people wait months and months isn't a good business plan.

I totally agree and I'd love to send mine in...BUT...its basically impossible. Currently you can't even try to order one until what, June? And even if you want to wait until then, its still a crap shoot to see if you're gonna get a golden tromix ticket that month.

If the demand really is that high, why don't they quadruple their staff and equipment? surely they aren't short on cash. If you have a flourishing business you need to expand. Making people wait months and months isn't a good business plan.

You're right.......it's going to be June before you can order a TROMIX gun. You have to be prepared, dedicated, patient, and willing to take the effort to stay up and submit an order as soon as possible after the stroke of midnight on the day the list opens up !!

And.........while I loved the "TROMIX Golden Ticket" reference, would you want your gun to be built by the Oompa-Loompa ??

Tony personally builds each gun. There are no subcontractors, no apprentices, nobody but Tony touches your weapon in the build. There you have it.

Would you rather have a Shelby Cobra hand-built by Carroll Shelby himself, or would a Ford-produced Cobra be sufficient for you ?? Would you prefer an authentic Picasso drawing or have a good reproduction?? (a real Dallas cheerleader or a cross-dressing trannie??)

Bottom line is: Are you willing to have the patience to wait for the absolute top-shelf weapon you can have, or are you just in too much of a hurry and willing to sacrifice that quality for immediate gratification ??

June will be here before you know it, so if you truly want the very best.........that would be TROMIX !! Be prepared !!

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the manufacturers mentioned. I've seen TAC47's work and it was top notch, they could pretty much build whatever you want. They are also local to me so that would be my choice.

• Like 1

+1 for Chile

Well, I think this might be a slight oversimplification. Don't you think it depends on who the "you" is? And "better" than what? A Tromix for example? I think that would be a pretty tough sell. I'm all in favor of the DIY route, and there is no question it's a good way to learn some things, but as far as the quality of the finished DIY product there can be so many variations that this statement has to be a tad idealistic.

Sorry I could not respond sooner, had other more pressing issues but I'll play now...

My point was/is that there is joy to be had in learning how to do something, and then successfully completing the thing yourself. A person who builds a vehicle from the ground up I am sure has a greater sense of pride of ownership than the person who buys a new Ferarri off the lot. Sure the Ferarri owner can drive his fancy car and look cool in it but can he deal with all the fancy bells and whistles that are under the hood? Prolly not. More of a poser with money than anything.

And what is the difference between a (fill in the blank here -- RJF, Tromix, etc) weapon that is utterly reliable and the weapon you build that is utterly reliable AND is exactly what you want down to the specific spring and firing pin?

So no, I am not being idealistic (gave that junk up in the '70's). Not even a tad.

But I do find you diving a bit in the weeds on this.

Carefull,

You know what they say:

Dive too far in the weeds and you might end up suckin on the roots...

Oh before I get dogpiled please know this: I have nuttin against any of the fine people that build/improve the Saiga rifles/shottys. I have a strong independance streak and if I can do something myself, I will.

P.S. I drive a 1991 Honda Civic and have no interest in Ferarri's

Edited by Odd Man Out

There are lot of options that will work fine to get you a usable gun. However it is really important you go out and shoot the gun with the magazines and ammo you plan to use and ensure that it works reliably and you know how to use it under stress. A formal class is good for that, I've found that a few of my guns or accessories don't really work nearly as well as I thought after using them in a 2-3 day class.

You feel like an idiot when you forget to take the safety off, forget to release the bolt or forget to put a round in the chamber in a class (don't ask me how I know....), but having worked the gun hundreds of times in a class greatly reduces the chance of you getting a click instead of bang when you really need the gun to work.

+1 for Chile

Sorry I could not respond sooner, had other more pressing issues but I'll play now...
Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're a very important man. But thank God you're here now, I've just been on pins and needles waiting on your your response.rolleyes.gif
My point was/is that there is joy to be had in learning how to do something, and then successfully completing the thing yourself.
Well, then you could have just said that. And you'll notice that I affirmed that. But instead you said "It does not get any better than if you do it yourself." That's kind of not the same thing.
A person who builds a vehicle from the ground up I am sure has a greater sense of pride of ownership than the person who buys a new Ferarri off the lot. Sure the Ferarri owner can drive his fancy car and look cool in it but can he deal with all the fancy bells and whistles that are under the hood? Prolly not. More of a poser with money than anything.
Well, that's a wonderful philosophy.....for you. Not everyone share's it. I'd probably take the Ferrari. But I get your point. If you buy a Tromix instead of building your own gun, you are just a "poser with money". Got it.

And what is the difference between a (fill in the blank here -- RJF, Tromix, etc) weapon that is utterly reliable and the weapon you build that is utterly reliable AND is exactly what you want down to the specific spring and firing pin?
Sell your gun, and sell a Tromix and you'll find out the difference. And if you think that the top builders on this forum aren't producing exactly what people want you should probably talk to them about that. That might be news to them, no doubt they'll be eager to jot down your suggestions. While your on the phone you can tell them how your guns measure up to theirs in every way.

But I do find you diving a bit in the weeds on this.

Carefull,

You know what they say:

Dive too far in the weeds and you might end up suckin on the roots...

Nice. Unfortunately, personal jabs do a very poor job of propping up weak points.

Oh before I get dogpiled please know this: I have nuttin against any of the fine people that build/improve the Saiga rifles/shottys. I have a strong independance streak and if I can do something myself, I will.
Backpeddling much?

P.S. I drive a 1991 Honda Civic and have no interest in Ferarri's

Uh huh, I can't afford a Ferrari, either.

Excuse me now, I have some pressing issues.biggrin.png

Edited by DogMan

Uh, yeah...... Anyway, back to the OP. Don't let anyone steer you away from what you are trying to do. There is a lot of (mostly) good advice here that is relevant to your actual question. The good thing is that you can't go wrong with any of the names mentioned. Good luck.

I would say it doesn't matter who converted the weapon, it just has to test out as reliable. I've fired over 500 rounds reliably to date through my self converted S-12, both squeaky clean, and filthy dirty. I have enough faith in my shotgun to use it for home defense, and have carefully evaluated the ammo I use for such purpose. My gas setting is set at the most reliable cycling setting per home defense ammo and I sleep pretty well at night knowing what this weapon has and can do if necessary.

• Like 2

Uh, yeah...... Anyway, back to the OP. Don't let anyone steer you away from what you are trying to do. There is a lot of (mostly) good advice here that is relevant to your actual question. The good thing is that you can't go wrong with any of the names mentioned. Good luck.

You guys do realize that AlphaOne was banned from the forums by NailBomb?