.410 3" reloading help

I was wonder if ther was anyone reloading for this that could possibly share their info with me or help me along. I'm using Remington hulls and wads along with clay buster wads and Lil' Gun powder. All the data I've seen uses the same wads for both size of hull. It seems to me a larger wad would fix my problem. It seems there is not enough material in the hull. The rim and crimp look good but the crimp goes to deep, I could pour shot out of a couple of the loaded shells. I measured the powder, the shot weighed 0.65 something oz. 11/16 should be 0.687ish oz. I don't know if that would make the difference though. My thought is either a more dense powder or one that requires more weight for the recipe. Any help on powder selection changes or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm loading with a Mec JR.

Thanks,

Doug

I reload my 12, but have never reloaded any 410.

From what I have read it is the hardest to reload,

the crimp is what gives everyone headachs.

I read that not setting the wad all the way down will help.

Does your machine has a way to adjust how low the crimp is.

My MEC does, I can adjust how far the machine pushes down.

What is the # on the wads, if they are for a heavier load, and you are loading a 11/16 load that may be the problem. I use H110, WAA41HS wads with winchester and cheddite shells and don't have any problems at all. Hodgdon says to use either REM SP410 or WAA41 wads on 11/16 load with LiLGun. Cross these #'s over to make sure you have the right wads, and also you may need to set your crimp depth to get it right.

Thanks for the replies. The Rem wads are # SP 410 and clay buster is replacement for WAA410HS, SP410, 410SC and WAA41. Both are 1/2 oz optimum load. I'm guessing there isn't a wad for 11/16. I'll check my paperwork and see if I can adjust the wad depth and crimp depth. Will it affect pressure with having some "dead space" in the shell. I'm wishing I would have went with Alliants M320 (or 320M I can't remember). It had a 1200 fps with high 9000's psi.

Doug

Guess that is what I meant..... Something with bigger granules. Or something calling for more weight.

I may have it worked out. I adjusted the wad pressure and the final crimp. I need to shoot some so I can get more hulls to try out. I ran out of empties. The last two looked pretty good.

Yeah I found some of the Federal shells and the were roll crimped. Thanks for the help, the reloads shot great. I neen to search and see if Mec makes a grabber thingy for the 3" cause the shells are sticking in the primer position. Thanks again.

Doug