I have never been exposed to duracoat and am planning on duracoating my Saiga12 soon. I am looking for some tips on what to do and what not to do, I have a glass bead machine and I am wondering if this would be good to use to strip the factory paint off of the gun. Should i strip it all off or leave the paint on the internal section of the reviever? Also where should I not duracoat? Any information would be excellent and maybe some pictures of what you did and where you stayed away from would be even better. I plan on doing the reciever, barrel, gas tube, and dust cover.

Well all I can offer up here is the same as always. Prep, prep and more prep. When you think the parts are clean, clean them again. Wash your hands, shit and oils on them transfer to parts, you'll end up with a blem spot. DuraCoat is applied in thin coats, 3 is about normal for me. So shooting paint on internal parts is no problem, blow color inside. Clean your paint gun after use, clean it well. Dried DuraCoat ain't comming out of it. smile.png Pics? there here around the board

Edit to add; short of down the barrel, chamber face and bolt, I've DuraCoated everything from scopes to wood stocks, bolt carriers to mags.

Edited by akastormi

Duracoat in the following areas is not conducive to reliability or ease of operation....

receiver rails

trigger

hammer

axis pins

retainer plate/spring

disco

disco spring

feedramp

barrel hood

bore

chamber

lockup channels in trunnion

recoil assembly

bolt

carrier where it rides the rails

bottom of carrier

anywhere the carrier contacts the bolt

end of op rod

any interior surface of the gas block

puck

barrel bore

barrel threads

muzzle device threads

regulator (plug)

regulator detent

regulator detent spring

regulator detent orifice

gas block seat

BHO

BHO spring

In a nutshell, Duracoat should only be applied on exterior surfaces. It is for asthetics and corrosion protection where the weapon probably will not be lubricated with petroleum products. It is an absolute PITA to get out of the weapon when someone goes crazy with it. I would use tin foil to block off areas that I did not want Duracoat in and maybe wire it on with bailing wire or floral wire if needed. Spray at angles that cover the intended surfaces only. I have never applied Duracoat, but have spent hours removing it from many of the aforementioned places in a weapon when the owner did not want to take it back down and redo the whole thing. Duracoating the bearing surfaces of the the weapon or anywhere that the shell/load contacts is not a good idea.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 3

bead blast or just carb cleaner the paint off the inside. shoot it

I don't have any experience with Duracoat in particular but have used gunkote (different duck), they do NOT recommend bead blasting but Aluminum oxide.

the reason is that the glass beads just peen the surface instead of cutting and do not provide a grip.

• Like 1

So thats a no go to glass beading? And basically in the reciever I just need to keep away from the rails and around the barrel correct?

Do I need to strip the paint at all or should I just clean the gun with some thinner? Im planning on going with a dark grey.

Edited by White Rider

+1 to prep, prep and more prep. Pay special attention to where the rivits are, they love to hold oil that will creep out after you've blasted. +1 to aluminum oxide. It creates enough texture for the finish to bite into. You can duracoat any part that was already covered with a factory finish. This includes inside the receiver. Just don't duracoat anything that wasn't previously coated by the factory and you'll be fine. Duracoat goes on at a thickness of .5 -1.5 mils if I remeber correctly. If an ak can run with a reciever full of dirt 1.5 thousands of an inch of coating that replaced the factory coating isn't going to hurt.

• Like 1