AK47 .22 conversion

I have been looking into designing a .22 conversion for the AK 47. Ciener made one , but they are junk in my opinion. I have a Ciener unit and BD .22 mags, but I don't feel they are worth even messing with, even dedicated .22 AK rifles seem to be hit and miss.

I have been looking at what the South Africans did with the R4 .22 conversion and what the Germans did with the HK91 .22 conversion for ideas and I'm about ready to start a design for a .22 conversion that will work.

If I can get a backer to help me get a prototype made, do you guy's think it would sell?

Marketing would be key - and for that you're in the right place. There are a few business members here who run retail businesses who might be just the people to talk to. MAA and CSS spring to mind.

You will be up against a reputation for shitty performance that .22 conversion kits enjoy thanks to ciener and any number of other shitty rifle kits.

If you do, please use the Mike Davidson development method - don't release it until it works extremely well, no matter how pissed off people become at how long it's taking.

• Like 3

I think It would sell great, assuming you can overcome the variables that come with AKs of vrious origins and builders. I think it would require a lighter hammer spring a the minimum, just for 22lr to be able to cock it back. So it won't be "drop in".

If you do, please use the Mike Davidson development method - don't release it until it works extremely well, no matter how pissed off people become at how long it's taking.

No disrespect to Mike, but try to avoid his method if at all possible. He recieved money and then developed the product. I was on the pre-order list and waited patiently. Yes, it is a good thing that he didn't release a crap product to placate customers, but that's FAR from ideal. Try to keep the gap between payment and delivery of product as small as possible.

I have done mods to several different types of weapon systems. The idea of a drop in .22 AK conversion intrigues me, but I wouldn't collect funds from anyone till I had a product ready to ship to customers. I did get working capitol in advance before, but I felt like the pressure was really on me. I really can't believe someone hasn't produced anything that works yet. The AK47 is probably the most used and known weapon in the world. The Germans made a MPI-69 .22 AK trainer and the South Africans made the Galil R4 .22 conversion, but everything else has been pretty much crap when it comes to a .22 AK.

Edited by ARMOR
This is my problem with the kits I have seen advertised - they cost more than .22 AK's! How about a parts kit? A new USA AK-.22 parts kit!
I'm not looking at making a rifle kit. If that's what you want, turbothis is working on one. I'm wanting to make a conversion only. I can tell you this, it won't be cheap. Nothing that's any good ever is. The best conversion I know of, is for the HK91 and the the used surplus kits cost $500. I'm not going to bother with some half assed piece of crap to save money. It's already been done. Edited by ARMOR

Even if it runs flawlessly, it's hard to justify spending $300+ on a conversion kit that's mostly a gadget... IMO. Especially with the GSG AK22 and the Romy "trainer" rifles floating around. Hopefully you make a badass kit and sell them by the truckload, I personally don't see it working out like that unfortunately. I had a ciener kit and it worked decently well, and sold it. I'd much rather buy a standalone .22 like a 10/22 that has as much aftermarket as an AK, and is years ahead in the reliability department. With that said, there's always going to be a niche market for that kind of stuff, and maybe I'm 100% wrong in my reasoning.

I'd much rather buy a standalone .22 like a 10/22 that has as much aftermarket as an AK, and is years ahead in the reliability department.

I'm with you. As much as I'd like to see a kit - and I'd have tons of fun with it I'm sure - a 10/22 only costs $200, so I've got no reason to mod my AK to do the same thing.