Hunting with Saiga???????

How accurate is this rifle..i've been lookin at them for awhile and i do alot of hunting....im eskimo from the arctic...tip top of the united states...i live in the farthest town north in the u.s.....i do alot of hunting...seal hunting, caribou hunting, polar hunting, wolverine hunting, whaling and wolve hunting...now dont get me wrong we eskimos hunt for food...(hunt for subsistance)....we eat all we catch....anyway i'd like to know more about the 223. saiga... :rolleyes:

Well, mine is plenty accurate (at 100 yards I can keep my 3-shot groups within 2-3" with the standard factory sights), and since it is based on the AK47, you can be sure it is robust. Very mild recoil, and lightweight, so it is a pretty handy firearm. My only question is about using .223 on larger game like caribou (as you mentioned). I would think that the .308 version might be more appropriate for that. I wouldn't want to go up against a polar bear with one, I can tell you.

But in terms of the firearm, it is a very good weapon for very little money. The only thing I plan to change is to put a Krebs AR-style peep sight on the receiver, because I find peep sights easier to use. Otherwise, that's it.

Edited by roscoe

Hi

I think it would be great. I do not know why you would not hunt anything that you could hunt with any other 223. Do not expect it to be as accurate as a bolt action rifle but within 100-200 or maybe more yards it would be good for many smaller animals.

The name saiga comes from a small ugly antelope (dog size) that it is used to hunt.saigahorns.JPG

The vepr rifle ( another AK russian hunting rifle) is named after a wild russian pig.

Good Hunting

Hey thanx alot guys!

thanx for the info roscoe but believe me....the first polar bear i killed took 7 to take down and 3 to finish....that was me and my best friend i had a 270. and he had a 30-06 i shot it 3 times and he shot it 4 then i shot it 3 more to kill...and up here we've been hunting caribou with even a 22. trust me all you need to know is where to hit it ....last summer my friend killed one....one shot right through the heart at first we couldnt believe it but now we know it works and for a polar bear right behind the ear where its soft is an instant kill....on that polar bear we shot acouple springs ago we found some of the bullets just on the inside of the skin which was crazy....but that one just came out of the water and when there wet with all the fur their pretty much bullet proof....so yeah thanx alot guys!!!!!!!!!!!

haha i've got alot of more storys if u want to hear them lol......i think im goin to get this gun....thanx!

• 2 months later...
i do alot of hunting...seal hunting, caribou hunting, polar hunting, wolverine hunting, whaling and wolve hunting...now dont get me wrong we eskimos hunt for food...(hunt for subsistance)....we eat all we catch....

That's what I do, too, here in Texas, eat what I hunt. Except rats and coyotes

As for your hunting list: get a 308. the 223 is not enough gun for caribou...!!!!

Edited by glockzilla20