Anyone know about this mount? Tim Heffron Special?

I just came across this thread from about a year ago and am wondering what's the story with this mount? It looks similar to the RS AKM mount but not exactly. Maybe kind of a beta version????

http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_4_56/124897_.html&page=1

Are these still around or was this a one off kind of a deal? At $55 i'd sure give one a try if they still were available…

I just came across this thread from about a year ago and am wondering what's the story with this mount? It looks similar to the RS AKM mount but not exactly. Maybe kind of a beta version????

http://www.ak47.net/...97_.html&page=1

Are these still around or was this a one off kind of a deal? At $55 i'd sure give one a try if they still were available…

The feedback on the Heffron mounts was generally poor. I would pony up the extra money and get the AKM mount instead.

The Heffron version 3.0 (pictured in that thread you linked) was apparently too thin and weak where the ring mounted to the mount's base.

I have the version 3.1 and am happy with it. It does cowitness, but I have to set the rear sight to "battle zero" or 300m for it to be useful. It isn't adjustable side to side like the RS mount, but I found that the bottom portion of the mount is soft enough to be bent with a large screwdriver and rigid enough to stay put afterward (and can be adjusted/centered in that manner if needed). It isn't exactly light weight, but it feels/looks pretty robust. The RS mount is aluminum and likely lighter. The version 3.1 mount costs $100 from Kalinka. The RS mount costs $140 and looks more refined, IMO. Both allow the dust cover to be removed without removing the mount.

I bought the Heffron mount before the RS mount came out. It'd be a close choice for me today.

The Heffron version 3.1:

sthlem30-1_1.jpg

The RS AK mount:

large_XRSAKSM.jpg