I guess what I still can't figure out is the one guy with the park service who is using this incident as an example of why it's bad to let people in national parks with firearms?

I mean, if it was illegal to carry in the park, how does this guy think the situation would of been any different?

If anything, if I'm at a national park and some nut job with guns goes postal, I'd want my sidearm.

• Like 1

Some have claimed he suffered from ptsd. I dont know if it is a real disease or not. If not, then he truly is a pos. If the syndrome is real, then how should he be judged by his fellow man? There are growing numbers of war veterans who are having issues returning to society. I personaly have never given credence to mental illness defenses. God Bless the families of all the victums.

Edited by tatonic

I mean, if it was illegal to carry in the park, how does this guy think the situation would of been any different?

It wouldn't make any difference. The shooter was a psycho. A law banning the carry of firearms in state parks would have made no difference. Just like how "No concealable weapons allowed" signs make no difference at a business. Apparently, business owners think that if someone was planning on robbing them, and then saw that sign, they'd rethink it and not go through with it. Of course, this isn't true. It's just a feel-good tactic that has no real-world effect. A sign that said "No robbing of this business allowed" would be just as effective.

• Like 2

can someone link the other thread on this. people keep saying it was posted, but i cant find it.

this sentence is very poorly written. "A park ranger was shot dead after being pulled over for a routine traffic stop."

Edited by GregM1

Being the Saiga nerds we are, we can pretty easily identify that his S12 is most likely in an illegal configuration anyway. If he didn't care about that law, a "no guns allowed" law wouldn't have made a lick of difference. A murderer clearly doesn't care about petty laws like those, but try explaining that to the antis.

• Like 1

thanks go4tze. no wonder i didnt see it. its in the S-12 area. i've been looking in the GD area for it.

Dude, I'm with you. I swear there was another one in GD but I just can't find it. Only found that one with a search for Rainier :]

thanks go4tze. no wonder i didnt see it. its in the S-12 area. i've been looking in the GD area for it.

Dude, I'm with you. I swear there was another one in GD but I just can't find it. Only found that one with a search for Rainier :]

I saw it too, actually replied in it. Maybe the mods made it go away?

Some have claimed he suffered from ptsd. I dont know if it is a real disease or not. If not, then he truly is a pos. If the syndrome is real, then how should he be judged by his fellow man? There are growing numbers of war veterans who are having issues returning to society. I personaly have never given credence to mental illness defenses. God Bless the families of all the victums.

Mental illness is real. There are two ways I can see it. When a mentally ill person commits a crime, you can either choose to see that person as responsible for their crimes, or not. Our society as a whole judges mentally ill persons not to be responsible for their behavior, and when violent mentally ill people are identified, they are supposed to be removed from society. I'm sure pauly can give us some insight on that process.

Prejudice kicks in a little bit when I see that image - on sight alone, I instinctively judge him as a douchebag. He just looks like the kind of douchebag who is extremely proud of himself and his accomplishments, no matter how few or how petty.

Judgmental ass that I am, I see responding to the horrors of war by committing acts of violence against the innocent as a sign of a pre-existing personal character flaw. I have a good friend who worked for the United States military, killing people for a living (his words, not mine), until he was blown up too many times and was discharged on disability. I know that the things he has seen and done have left profound psychological scars. Those experiences, however horrible, however unimaginable to those of us who have not been there, will never cause him to behave like this monster.

But, he's dead, so the point remains moot. There is no "what to do with this man." There is only the pain and suffering left behind in the wake of his insane acts.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • Like 1

Unfortunately we participate in one of the few "sub" cultures in America where if one person screws up, the whole gets punished. They never punish religious groups for the actions of the few, even though some of the worst events to happen to the US in the last 15-25 years can be directly related back to either christian or muslim extremists. They never punish political groups for the actions of the few. But they will gladly punish ALL “Gun Owners” for the actions of one or two individuals.

• Like 1

Mental illness is real. There are two ways I can see it. When a mentally ill person commits a crime, you can either choose to see that person as responsible for their crimes, or not. Our society as a whole judges mentally ill persons not to be responsible for their behavior, and when violent mentally ill people are identified, they are supposed to be removed from society. I'm sure pauly can give us some insight on that process.

He apparently was a dirtbag before he got into the army and got kicked out of the army beacause he continued to be a dirtbag. He was in Iraq but he was never "in combat". It appears he was assigned to and spent all his time on one of the giant bases where the main risk was getting fat. He broke up with his GF some time ago and then things went bad with his mental state.

Crazy people do crazy things for crazy reasons. Like the F-18 pilot a few days ago who shot his fellow F-18 pilot housemate, housemates sister, and guy she met in a bar, then himself. Apparently he was imagining he had some sort of relationship with his housemates sister ... http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/04/sheriffs-navy-pilot-killed-3-condo-shooting-then-c/