TWS Peep Sight Cost  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that $40 is too much for the TWS peep sight?

• Yes
    • No

I'm getting ready to lay down the $140 for the Texas Weapon Systems top cover rail setup and I'm wondering about rear sight options. The $40 they want to charge for that dinky little rear peep seems a little insulting and exploitative in my opinion after spending so much on the rail to start with. Personally, I think that such a small part should just be included in the package since it is basically useless as is without the additional purchase of an optic or their peep sight. I'm a little annoyed so I'm looking for other options. I have the Bolton FSGB installed now and it lines up fine with the standard rear sight so I need to find something that sits along that same plane. Every AR BUIS I've seen sits way too high. I intend to mount a scope high enough to retain the use of backup irons underneath. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, your options are pretty limited, with the standard ak FSB. I bought the TWS for the peep site alone, a longer sight radius is always preferable, and the TWS is nicer than the TechSight, imho.

Now, it is a dinky sight, true, but the added height of the rail means anything you put on it is going to be too tall. What i would like to see is a low profile AR or M14 peep sight that bolts up to the rail, and also comes with a replacement, slightly taller AK front sight post. If you can find another sight that is only a couple of MM tall, go for it, but i think you will need a taller front sight post to have anything that really would work.

The only alternative i can see would be to somehow mount the sight behind the dustcover, say on the latch so that you could mount its base lower than the factory leaf sight and have room for it to match up with your front sight, but then you are fabing up a new mounting surface, and it might be too close to your eye.

I bought the peep sight. I only used it once b/c when my eotech was on it was rather useless since it is so short. However, without re-zeroing the AK was hitting 10inch steel plates at 100m. I saw a guy on here take his 5.45 saiga and put flip up BUIS on the TWS and the front rail. I asked how they worked out but he hasn't responded.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the TWS on my S308 with the peep sight and it is adequate. I have another TWS rail and the new leaf BUIS unit ordered for one of my Romy G builds... Still trying to decide on a red dot for that rifle, but since I was one of the guys who suggested that TWS mill a rear leaf into the dogleg unit, I figured I should probably put my money where my mouth was.

I too thought the tws peep sight was to high so I skipped it. I am going to wait for the leaf sight option. I put the tws on my mini and a small fastfire knockoff. I like my setup and it holds zero good.

post-26626-0-16553300-1328060188_thumb.jpg

Edited by rogers
  • Like 1

I currenty have a Trijicon ACOG TA26 1.5x16 compact on special ring mount attached on the TWS on my Draco SBR. I also have a Eotech XPS3-0 that I can mount on it also.

They both are very excellent.

I was thinking of selling the Trijicon ACOG, which is basically new if anyone knows anybody looking for a good deal.

Mfwic, I love my mini. The only problem I had with it was the factory hand gaurd would come lose after a few rounds so I put the quad rail on and all is well. The rail is a utg for a regular ak. I had to cut the top rail re tap two holes on the bottom rail for the shorter top rail, drill a hole for the lower handgaurd retainer bolt, and enlarge the end of it for the muzzle brake to fit. All in all a lot of work to save about 75 bucks on having to buy a mid west industries rail, but I like to tinker. Thank you for the kind words.

• 4 weeks later...

just found out that keltec's su-16 series of rifles has a very similar rear peep sight to the tws that comes on there rifle from the factory. you can get the stock plastic peep and the rear sight locks for cheap with free shipping. all together i paid 6 bucks for the set up off of kel-tec cnc website. i haven't received mine yet to verify that it is the correct height. the best part is that if this works out well they also make two other styles of upgrade sights that are the same height, they are made of aluminum and not that expensive. the aluminum model b peep is just 11 dollars and there is also what they call a buck horn sight kit that they sell for $26. i will give an update when i get them to let everyone know how they work out. here is a pic of there buck horn model from there web sight.b_3e8a53da434dca418ac30b73f711ebadSU-955.jpg

just got the kel tec su - 16 sight and put it on one of my rifles. i think it looks better than the tws peep. this is the polymer model which hardly weighs anything. the aluminum model b is the same design it is just aluminum i think. i haven't tried shooting it yet but i am confident that it will work just fine.

20120317200526.jpg

20120317200244.jpg

20120317200250.jpg

• Like 2

i just saw the aperture height of the tws peep on css's website and it is .375 from rail. the kel tec sight i got measures .3125 to the center of the aperture with my cheap plastic caliper. that is i believe a 16th of an inch difference. there is way more adjustment than that on the front post so these should work great! xxasdf i don't know if it will be low enough to fix your problem but it will be a little lower that the tws. i am planing on shooting this thing tomorrow so i will report back on how far it is off from factory without adjusting the front site height.

Edited by rogers
  • Like 1

I had to shim my TWS peep sight in place. It would not work as the TWS guy told me it would. I found out why. The gap that the allen bolt goes through, is too wide for the size bolt being used. The best way is to use a larger bolt to keep it from flopping around on the rail. I had to shim the sucker to take up the extra space. Piece of stiff plastic is really all you need to do it, but I still should not have to do it in the first place.

I really should send it back. Should rogers report good news, I just might send it back.

Rogers, if you have good fortune with it. Please be sure to include how many turns you put on the Front sight and in what direction (clockwise counter clock wise).

Hello

XS sights has a "Low Profile Weaver" rear sight listed in their catalog that appears to share similar (approx.) elevation to the TWS unit. It's a peep with integral windage and elevation adjustments, so big plusses there.

Haven't found anybody that actually carries them yet, but if I do, I'll probably order one.

Respectfully,

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

so the sight worked great. at 35 yards without any adjustment of the front sight it was about 3 inches high and 2 inches to the left. i had to drift the front sight about a 16th of an inch to the charging handle side and and i believe i screwed it out about two turns. i then shot it at 100 yards off hand and they were all on an 8x11 piece of notebook paper.( at least the shots that i didn't wobble on). irons sights at 100 yards are tough! i would recommend getting the model b aluminum version. the polymer version works fine but i think the aluminum version would look better and be tougher. no matter which one you get it will be a lot cheaper than the tws peep and work just as good.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so the sight worked great. at 35 yards without any adjustment of the front sight it was about 3 inches high and 2 inches to the left. i had to drift the front sight about a 16th of an inch to the charging handle side and and i believe i screwed it out about two turns. i then shot it at 100 yards off hand and they were all on an 8x11 piece of notebook paper.( at least the shots that i didn't wobble on). irons sights at 100 yards are tough! i would recommend getting the model b aluminum version. the polymer version works fine but i think the aluminum version would look better and be tougher. no matter which one you get it will be a lot cheaper than the tws peep and work just as good.

Are the Kel tec aluminum "b"version peep sights adjustable?

Received the Kel-Tec SU16B-365 rear sight today. Total Price - $24.99

Here are the photos promised.

post-41803-0-53147300-1340312512_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-78855300-1340312534_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-00396200-1340312547_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-63928500-1340312560_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-72447800-1340312579_thumb.jpg

The measurement shown in the last photo was done with a non-digital caliper but it should be close. With the height of this sight the top of the Dog Leg hinge covers roughly the bottom half of the front sight post but the important half is uncovered. As can be seen there are screws on both sides of the sight for windage adjustment.

That is really awsome that it is adjustable for windage. Let me know how it shoots. Any reason you have it all the way at the front of the cover where the original sight was? I might have to upgrade from my A model.

Any reason you have it all the way at the front of the cover where the original sight was?

In effect moving the sight forward zooms in on the front sight. Not really zoom like a zoom lens but it narrows the field of view. With it all the way back you see the whole front sight with some to spare, there's a space all the way around the front circle. With it forward the rear circle is just inside the front circle if this makes any sense. I'll play with it but I imagine as far forward as possible is as close to the original setup as you can get without something in the original leaf location.

i know what you are saying about seeing less of the front sight to make it more accurate. i made a smaller peep hole on my rear sight by fitting a 3/16" hole plug in the sights hole and drilling a smaller hole in the plug. in effect this did the same thing you are doing by moving the sight further up the rail. have you got to shoot it yet? it should be easy to do since you have the extra wind-age adjustment. let us know how it does.

• 2 months later...