no, the Ranger SXT is the sucessor to the black talon ammo. Seems to be the same thing except the old black talons had a black "lubalox" coating.

I have both kinds in .40 and they seem to perform identically. The bonded PDX1 is the next sucessor to the black talon / ranger SXT line and seems to be the preferred ammo for many LEA now.

KTW was the teflon coated ammunition. And while being decried by the Brady bunch and others as "cop killer" bullets, the teflon coating does not help penetrate nylon/kevlar armor and in fact (and testing) reduces the penetration of the round. Against metals and some ceramics the teflon actually enhances the penetration ability of the rounds.

...Dear God, that sounds pedantic as hell. Sorry guys.

Edited by The Deacon

I found bullets like these in my dads ammo box around 18 yrs ago. They looked identical and were made by Federal. I shot some steel plates with them and they bounced off the plates like they were made of rubber. Ever since then I thought they were rubber rounds but I never could figure out why they had a hollow point. I've never seen them since, until now. Interesting.

I didn't know federal still made any

from a very fuzzy memory, S&W when they made ammo came out with the nyclad, and sold the patent to federal

the idea behind it was the manufacturing process of the bullet being nylon coated, allowed the bullets to be made of dead soft lead, instead of harder lead alloys and would expand better at lower velocities.

for a while they sold a load specificity for the 2" snub guns

I still have some, along with a few boxes of black talons