Looking for expert advice

My new 16.3" 308 Saiga will be here Thursday. Bought this gun for an upcoming hog hunt and other future hunting/shooting fun.

I am wanting to put a scope on this rifle, for short and longer range duty (no more than ~300 yards)

I am leaning towards a scope like the Burris Fullfield 2-7x35

trouble I am having is deciding on a mount. I like the idea of a left of barrel mount like the POSP's to allow use of the irons without having the scope sky high but don't know of a good one or how well they work with weaver style mounts etc.

I know the cheap option is a UTG mount but like I said, having irons available would be nice

So, what do the experts on here suggest?

Thanks,

Kyle

BP02 with the AK mount is a dependable choice. I can't comment on the UTG but it is an airsoft mount which isn't really exciting to me

If it were my rifle I'd get a 4x24 POSP with an AK mount and call it a day. They won't be calibrated for 308 but that shouldn't matter at hog hunting distances. They are cheap and tough optics, I've had a bunch and haven't had issues with them. Check Kalinka or the for sale section here on the forum.

Z

BP02 with the AK mount is a dependable choice. I can't comment on the UTG but it is an airsoft mount which isn't really exciting to me

If it were my rifle I'd get a 4x24 POSP with an AK mount and call it a day. They won't be calibrated for 308 but that shouldn't matter at hog hunting distances. They are cheap and tough optics, I've had a bunch and haven't had issues with them. Check Kalinka or the for sale section here on the forum.

Z

Zen, thanks for the response

I do have a couple more questions. With the BP-02, can you use your irons and scope? I believe I have read there are two different height options, low and high. I am trying to not have the scope sky high just to use the irons.

I believe that the midwest industries mount allows you to see the irons down the rail, but I am not aware of any scope rings that wil still allow you to see down the rail.

Does the POSP sit off to the side enough for iron use? How does this affect shooting at various distances?

I plan on setting this up for an upcoming hog hunt out of state, but will use it for shooting running coyotes when not using it on a hog hunt. That is why I was after something other than a fixed power scope (hoping for more field of view that 4 power provides)

I hear people reccomend POSP's for AK all the time on various boards but it seems that those reccomendations are solely based on having russian optics on a russian rifle. A saiga is far from authentic so that is of little concern to me.

with the POSP, can the eye relief be adjusted? I am concerned that with the longer length of pull on the factory saiga rifle, I won't be able to get up to the scope enough? (no, I won't be converting this any time soon)

Edited by TRL WGN 1

I've got both BP02 rails from Kalinka. You can see the iron sights through the central channel on the low mount, but as soon as you stick a scope ring on there you lost your sightline. The High is high enough that you'd want a cheek rest to get a good weld (or go for the 'chin weld'), and then that rest is in the way of getting a good weld for your irons.

My TIP2 (clone of a PSO with Romanian glass) doesn't give me eye-relief issues, and I put a much longer-than-factory buttstock on my rifle. Then again, I have broad shoulders and was too close to the glass at the start.

I hear people reccomend POSP's for AK all the time on various boards but it seems that those reccomendations are solely based on having russian optics on a russian rifle. A saiga is far from authentic so that is of little concern to me.

TX-Zen is the local commie-optics guru, but the reason I would recommend commie optics is low cost for decent glass, on mounts that don't lose zero if you take them off the rifle.

Vortex stuff is even nicer, but you usually pay another hundred or two for the warranty (for low-end Vortex).

but the reason I would recommend commie optics is low cost for decent glass, on mounts that don't lose zero if you take them off the rifle.

Good advice and its the same thing I think also.

POSP's are a great value for the money, optical quality is higher than similarly priced western optics. Some people certainly like to keep it authentic but fact is they are decent optics in their own right and when you add in the low cost, that's probably the main reason so many people recommend them. I've heard of mount issues from time to time depending on what rail is installed on the AK but I just don't see a lot of complaints about the quality of the optic itself, or things breaking from use. I've owned 9 or 10 POSP's and PSO's and only had a minor bit of trouble with an 8x42 mildot version and how it mounted to che drag. Otherwise zero problems that I can remember.

If there is an effect from the optic being slightly offset I haven't noticed it. Remember the SVD has been in service for almost 50 years with an offset scope...doesn't seem to be a problem from what I can see. In my experience I just haven't seen any negative effect.

I also don't think eye relief is a problem so lack of it being adjustable probably won't be a factor...but the whole shooting position does take some getting used to for westerners I think. Just be prepared to adapt to it and don't expect it to be exactly like what you are used to right off the bat. I think that's what turns some people off...maybe it's too different all at once and it throws some guys for a loop.

I know for me I have zero problems shooting optics on AK's, it didn't take me long to get used to it and I'm glad I did. For me it all started with 'I wonder why people bitch about Russian optics all the time' so I bought one and went from there. Years later I'm convinced it's not much more than cultural bias and lack of knowledge on the wide range of Russian optics. Some people never do take to them but IMO most people can if they just practice a bit.

POSP is a safe bet to start with too...cheap and easily resold if you don't care for it. It's one of the optics I recommend most.

Z

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post an update

I took some of the advice I received here and went with a BP-02 low mount (bought from Primary Arms-very happy with their service and had the mount only 2 business days after placing the order)

I bought Weaver Medium rings to hold the 1.5-6x44MM Bushnell Trophy XLT scope with 30 mm tube and 4A German reticle. I was worried about clearance with the medium rings but they ended up being perfect. I also mounted a Blackhawk cheek riser for a cheek rest.

Photo0231.jpg

Photo0232.jpg

nice and tight-as low as I can go without modifying the rear sight

Photo0234.jpg

• 1 year later...