Do you want your Saiga 12 to fire cheap ammo from the hip

To those who use the Gunfixer, V-plug or Autoplug and others, try to tune your gun to shoot ther crappiest ammo from the hip, or do the tune it to hit the sweet spot when fired from your shoulder.

Most of the time I've noticed there are two different reliability settings for shouldered and unsupported fire. I had my gun running on the autoplug when I fired from the shoulder, but I kept tuning until there weren't any failures when I fired it from the hip, so it was not backed by my shoulder. Then I thought maybe I was overdoing it a bit; how are all of you tuning your guns? To be failure free when supported, or to be failure free when fired with not shoulder behind it (unsupported)?

I guess I'm just lucky. I had tac47 build my rifle and it shoots everything. I painted the factory gas adjustment plug Red for hot Orange for med and Green for walmart ammo. I just shoot it a lot and know that it will work all the time. Factory magazines really work well for me. I have used others but I like the profile. It shoot one handed, on the hip, under a truck sideways, upside down, in the water... etc..

It's almost as dependable as the AK!

While learning the gas settings on it, I wrote down the ammo type and position of the plug. The setting was tested standing, one handed, prone and hip. This gave me feedback on the cycling of the weapon from various supports. The ammo was classified and labeled with matching color electrical tape that coincides with the colors on the gas plug.

I did similar testing and marking with my saiga12 and the V-plug, it seems like to optimize reliability you'd tune it to shoot with no support, but in doing so you likely have more pressure than needed to fire reliably from a supported position which would in turn increase recoil and wear and perhaps as a response to a Saiga not cycling reliably from the hip the owner would preform unneeded modifications.

I would say set it for the hip. If you use it for home defense your not always going to have time to shoulder the weapon or if you have to hold it to shoot around a corner.

You say that like you have to defend your home often.

I too think it should work always. HD is only part of it.

Most of my practical firearms use was a sort of varminting. typically there is about a 5 second window to drop what you are doing, run to a gun, assess safety and get it on target. That means if the stock is folded so that the gun can be handy/ not in the way at the same time, you might choose not to fiddle with it and just sight down the barrel.

To me every gun worth having should work whether or not you do everything right. That doesn't mean I will refuse a 1911 if you give me one, but I might be more inclined to choose one that isn't picky over an old fashioned version.

Oh, and about the autoplug. I was recently given one. My gun used to just run WW winchester 100% after tuning on setting #2 OEM. I haven't bought that ammo it in a long while. I did get some to tune my autoplug for the lowest baseline. I could not get it to cycle that reliably on any autoplug setting shouldered. I plan to see if it still works with the factory plug, which would show whether the recipe changed since I had it working with that. I suppose I value the versatility of the autoplug more than the ability to shoot WW Winchester. I like the idea of running with anything, but you have to draw a line somewhere. I don't try to run 7/8 oz loads either. The gun ran 100% with federal bulk.

Edited by GunFun

Which brings up another good point. You should know what does NOT work for you and a particular firearm. Most guns work better and are more accurate/dependable with certain ammo brand vs. another brand.

• Like 1

I tune it to be failure free, period. I'm still working out some issues so it's not 100% yet, but it will be, and I know that it's 100% from the shoulder with bird shot so buck shot shouldn't be an issue. With that being said, I'm not going to trust it until I've worked out all of the kinks and done extensive testing with the ammo that I would use to defend my household with.

What I have done, and would recommend you do the same if referring to home defense is this. If it shoots say from the shoulder on a v plug for example on setting4, but not from the hip, I would go with a lower setting until it does. The chances of your shoulder being tightly cradle to the butt of that shotugn in a HD or SD situation is probably slim to say the least. You would definatley want something that could easily fire from any position needed. There is obviously alot of things to consider in that regard, but that could go on forever. But I think Caged has hit the nail on the head.

Another thing you may not be thinking of is that you are not going to be shooting your cheap baseline ammo, you'll likely be loaded with 00 or Slugs. My theory on the autoplug is that typically your HD ammo will be good to go many turns before the cheap birdshot stuff, so the HD or hot ammo has more than enough gas.

I do agree with you though about being able to fire unsupported, maybe I'll makes sure cheap shit cycles from the shoulder and that HD ammo shoots reliably from the hip.

If your weapon has a fixed butt-stock then you might want to tune it to just barely fire from the hip, but for those of us who are rockin' the folding stocks, it's really beneficial to tune it so that it fires easily from the hip with the stock folded JIC it's stored that way and is really needed to defend yourself and you don't have time to fiddle with the weapon.

I don't plan on defending my home with an S-12, but I make it a habit to make sure that all my weapons are reliable enough to bet my life on because one day, I just might need to...

• Like 1

+1 on the folding stocks. For those of us without SBS saigas it is one way to shorten the gun for clearing the halls and doorways of our homes. I would still keep my stock out, but I like options.

+1 on the folding stocks. For those of us without SBS saigas it is one way to shorten the gun for clearing the halls and doorways of our homes. I would still keep my stock out, but I like options.

I agree but I'd like to point out that if I am going to "clear" my house (my dogs will let me know if someone is inside and where they are) it will be with a pistol and a light. I don't round corners or pie corners with long-barreled weapons...

Edited by Caged

I'm thinking only of Buckshot or similar HD rounds when I'm talking about being able to fire from the hip. Birdshot would never cross my mind in that situation. Any shotgun I use for HD is loaded with Federal Tactical 00 Buck.

Lemme clarify when I said "You would definatley want something that could easily fire from any position needed." I'm not referring to gas position, but something (shotgun) you can easily fire from any position (hip, standing, prone etc).

Edited by incognito485

Mine always run light loads in MD-20s when firing from the chest or semi-well supported on the hip. Reliability is not 100% when held loose and using the MD-20s. With stick mags they run whatever however.

I think that it is unrealistic to expect an unsupported Saiga 12 to run flawlessly with MD-20s and crap ammo. There's my line wink.png

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Mine always run light loads in MD-20s when firing from the chest or semi-well supported on the hip.

or the balls! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Real men don't need no shoulders!!!

I look at like this, I'm a glock guy. I like them, they do the job and run like a tank. But if you limp wrist them they also may fte. Same with the s12 with light loads on the hip. I can live with that.

Mine always run light loads in MD-20s when firing from the chest or semi-well supported on the hip.

I look at like this, I'm a glock guy. I like them, they do the job and run like a tank. But if you limp wrist them they also may fte. Same with the s12 with light loads on the hip. I can live with that.

I look at it like this, I'm not a "skinny" and try not to do anything that would resemble the "tactical technique" of a "skinny" , lol!

For those of you who are not aware of what a "skinny" is, they are Somalian "warriors" (sarcasm) who might be seen jumping out in their pajamas and flip-flops while dumping a mag with an AK held far above their head sidesways like some dumbass wannabe gangster.

The faster you go, the better the "vibes" feel wub.png

Mine shoots fed bulk, rem slugs, win slugs, and blackcloud from any way I want it to. But I lucked out and got one good out of the box. Still factory except keepshooting 5rd mags.

Have you tried Winchester Universal or Federal Multi-Purpose from the hip with a MD-20?

Convert it, get a 20 round drum, and give it a whirl.

Mine shoots fed bulk, rem slugs, win slugs, and blackcloud from any way I want it to. But I lucked out and got one good out of the box. Still factory except keepshooting 5rd mags.

Have you tried Winchester Universal or Federal Multi-Purpose from the hip with a MD-20?

Convert it, get a 20 round drum, and give it a whirl.

I've stayed clear of the win due to issues I read about when I got mine. For $2 more or the same price I'll pick up the fed bulk pack from wally world.

A real man's gun runs whether you limp-wrist or not...

godcarriesa1911.jpg

innovation-1911-hand-gun-handgun-browning-45-demotivational-poster-1245249832.jpg

pistolwhip.jpg

Take that Block-boy!!!swordfight.gif

• Like 1

Mine always run light loads in MD-20s when firing from the chest or semi-well supported on the hip. Reliability is not 100% when held loose and using the MD-20s. With stick mags they run whatever however.

I think that it is unrealistic to expect an unsupported Saiga 12 to run flawlessly with MD-20s and crap ammo. There's my line wink.png

Mine does.

I really think it would behoove any S12 owner to have it realiably fire any ammo, in any configuration, from any position. What if the bad guys are lined up in the hall and you can just stick the gun out from the corner you're hiding around, and mow them down by pulling off five or six or twenty shots? I'd want to know for a fact it would do it. :)

• Like 1

Caged you kill me!

Bury one of those things for a years or two and get back to us smile.png

Why? I'm too busy carrying it and being totally awesome...

Seriously though, my next major handgun purchase will be a Glock 21. I just like to give you block guys some crap from time-to-time... A buddy of mine is a huge Glock fan, he's the guy who actually sold me my Colt 1911 so that he could buy a Glock 19C (man is that thing LOUD) and we go out and run the crap out of them all-the-time. One hell weapon platform!

I know dude its cool! I like to give the relic lovers crap.

Open carry is legal here in GA, my go to carry is a 21sf, or 20sf. I CC 36. I understand the block hate, the grip angle is a non issue for me. You'll love that 21, polish the trigger bar and it will greatly improve the stock setup.

F'n 1911 turds!

I really think it would behoove any S12 owner to have it realiably fire any ammo, in any configuration, from any position. What if the bad guys are lined up in the hall mall corridor and you can just stick the gun out from the corner kiosk you're hiding around, and mow them down by pulling off five or six or twenty shots? I'd want to know for a fact it would do it. smile.png

Sorry, that's how I saw it, really. Really!

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

• Like 1

Mine does.

I really think it would behoove any S12 owner to have it realiably fire any ammo, in any configuration, from any position. What if the bad guys are lined up in the hall and you can just stick the gun out from the corner you're hiding around, and mow them down by pulling off five or six or twenty shots? I'd want to know for a fact it would do it. smile.png

I completely understand your position, but I wouldn't be using bulk pack birdshot for that type of duty. In that case, I have no doubt that mine will cycle from the hip or up in the air sideways..... "Skinny" Style.... bitches!

• Like 1