I'm debating what my next purchase should be.. I'll have about $1000 to spend and I'd like to get a handgun that I can hang on to for a long time and end up passing it down to my son when he grows up. It will be something that I shoot as well, but I like the idea of having something really nice to give him at some point.

I'm looking at:

1) A $1000 1911 that I might even add to as time goes on.

2) A S&W 500 handgun.. It'd be cool to tell him it's the most powerful production gun made

3) An H&K .45 handgun. I haven't personally shot one of these but it's a high end .45 that I consider "nice"

4) A Sig Sauer .45 in the $1000 range

What do you think of those choices? What would you pick (doesn't have to be on above list).

It'd be nice to stay in the .45 caliber since my currnet xdm 45 fires that round. S&W 500 would be more of a range toy / safe queen since it's expensive to shoot.

Thanks

If a 1911, which one? What is going to last for a long time if kept well and also be a good looking, fun to shoot, acurrate gun? I keep hearing good things about Les Baers but to be honest I think the wood grip looks fugly. I really like the look of 1911's but the wood grip kills the look to me. I know this is something that can be changed out, but it seems like when you buy a les baers you would want to keep it in the original configuration..? I'm mostly talking out of my ass since I dont know a ton about 1911's.

1911 all the way. It's a fantastic handgun that has lasted 100yrs and it's going to last another 100! So that means parts will ALWAYS be easy to come by whenever it is passed down as will .45acp. I would have said the smith revolver but only if it was a different caliber. .500 is and will probably be rare forever, And getting even harder to find after it loses shock value. But a revolver in .44,.357,.45 colt,etc in and of itself is timeless as you can't get any more simple or reliable,even with only 5,6 or 7 shots.

Also,if you do end up picking a semi auto handgun i would add a walther PPQ,I got to fondle one and it is incredibly nice with an amazing trigger. IMHO

Another one for the 1911! I'm a Colt guy but I've shot a few Springfields which comparable and they do work. I know Kimber had some issues, I think they worked that out though. Why not find a used one for less money and make it a special project pistol you can pass down? You can do a lot of shit to a 1911.

new 1911's are nice, but if ever got one, itd be a wwII model, or at least bypass all the fly by night ones that have flooded the market lately. i just hate the grip safety aspect. and yeah you can do a lot of shit to them, but you can also dump a lot of money in them in the process. but thats any pistol with a huge market.

i like the hk too. just iffy on their customer service.

sig, to me, has the best ergos in the 220 models. i like the decocker better than the grip safety. but thats me. its all on you.

decisions like this are hard. but at least you have some great options listed.

1911 hands down.

First post wins it.

A gun that you plan to buy specifically to hand down to your son, a 1911 by far beats the others on your list, IMO. While they're all nice guns......none of the others really have that "passed down from one generation to the next" type of vibe, more than a 1911. I also have to agree with the guys who said Colt. Not because I'm an elitist (really thinking about picking up a cheap Rock Island 1911, because I hear great things about them). But because nothing screams "America; Fuck yeah!" more than a Colt 1911, and I think it would fit great as something to pass on to your kid.

Large frame S&W .357 SS 6"bbl.

as for the.500, it is currently the biggest, but they come out with a new caliber every couple of years that serves no purpose other than to hold that title. I always see them in gun stores on consignment a year or two after they come out. Once the novelty wears off, it is a gun that hurts your ears wrist and wallet to shoot. That is if you can find ammo. The above choices hold their value, and you will use them.

I've got a 1911. It's a Kimber. It's nice.

I've got a HK pistol. It holds more ammo than the Kimber. It is more accurate than the Kimber. It's....trigger....is better than the Kimber (blasphemy, I know).

It can shoot double action. It can decock the hammer. It's my favorite pistol, and I own many. It is the USP Elite in .45. Check it out before you decide.

Gotta stand up for my name...

+1 to Kodaline's remarks

HK45 -- try it and you will never look back. Much better recoil management than the 1911--means better able to bring shots to bear. Definately something that will be able to be handed down

When I was growing up, my dad ALWAYS carried Colt. Mostly 1911's and that's what I always wanted. As an adult I never bought one but... My dad gave me one for my 29th birthday. There is a lot of sentiment in that for me. I'm gonna say the same will be true for your son. Especially if he sees that it's something you carry or shoot. That's why I said Colt 1911 earlier. Not to mention the fact that they are excellent pistols.

I bought a couple of OD Glocks to pass down. They have escalated faster in value than anything else that I have owned. Paid $899 for two and people are paying upwards of $1k for them now. Your son can conceal it easily should he decide to carry it in the future and Glocks tend to hold up well cosmetically. Much like the 1911, aftermarket support is plentiful and he can personalize the weapon to some degree, if he feels the urge. However, he could just pull it out of the safe every once in a while and 'wow' his friends with his sought after rare combat handgun. Both of mine are G19s because of the plentiful mags, barrels, and use of a very common NATO cartridge, just in case they actually have to be used. Cheap to shoot too. Just a suggestion.

You know I tried to stay away from 1911 when replying to this thread. I though there has to be something else im missing, some other handgun that can be passed down with pride and joy. Unfortunately there isn't. While im a fan of ALL guns there is nothing NOTHING sexier then the slim, blued, all steel lines of a 1911. A close second would be the Browning Hipower.

Just want to add that for a "classic" collector gun with classic lines you might also want to look at the Luger and the Broom handle Mauser. Doesn't have to be some rare, one pf a kind gun. Just a good solid well maintained pistol

Edited by Arik